"How much does it weigh" questions are silly

LazyTrailRider

Not if you have a slim ass' date=' big balls and still want to be faster- stupid comment!
[/quote']

6.75534 kg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are unfit a light bike is not going to get you up a hill faster (we're not talking msecs) - loose some weight and put in some saddle time fat ASS!

If you are scared a heavy bike is not going to get you down the hill faster - get some balls you sissy.

For the average Joe (fun rider) good maintenance to ensure everything is working optimally is more important that saving a few grams - be a man and get some grease under your fingernails.

What does it weight is and will remain a stupid question!

Not if you have a slim ass' date=' big balls and still want to be faster- stupid comment!
[/quote']

Ek moet nog die funrider ontmoet wat nie vinniger kan gaan deur meer te oefen nie, either om fikser te word of better tegniek te leer. Ligte goed is n pleister wat net sover gaan dan is jy weer stuck. Jy gaan nie die 25 minute wat jy agter my was op die 80K race opmaak deur 2.5kg te shave nie.

Vir pros wat alreeds on top of their game is en waar sekondes tel maak dit sin. Vir Jannie Swaarkry en Martie Dimpelboud is dit irrelevant.

If Chuck, Muddy and Le Turbo read the last 7 pages they would see we don't say we will be faster we just say we enjoy making them look good and making them lighter!Waste of money, so are cigarettes, beer and woman but we spend the money????So don't lose weight, stay on a heavy bike and enjoy being further back in the race than you needed to be.

Reasons for asking this question:

?

1.? It would appear that some guys/gals are only interested in getting the "Posts number count" up and therefore ask silly questions or make irrelevant remarks.

?

2.? Hey' date=' at least he/she feels they are participating in the Forum and the time on the web is not a total waste.

?

3.? Initially (a few months back when I joined the Hub) this sounded like a propa question to ask.? When in Rome...

?

4.? You have nothing better to ask.

?

5.? It's an escape code for when you do not have the bucks to buy it.? Sorry, my current one is lighter.

?

6.? For the 2% (80% of all statistics are a thumb suck) that does not just enjoy MTB and want to win at all cost, this is a ligit question.

?

By the way, I have no idea what my 2005 dual sus weighs.? But loving every second I'm on it.? And yes, I can (and should) loose about 4kg around my waste.? But hey, at least a smile and wave to all (including roadies) cyclists when I pass them (or they pass me,? more likely) on the bike.
[/quote']if it bothers you this much, then just don't read it???
Agreed, this is a enthusiasts forum and if somebody asks a question that may be of interest to them surely this is not a sin. You are also not obliged to answer every `silly` question. Live and let live.

I am not sure what to make of this 9 pages of rubbish.

If a guy asks you the color of the fork you are trying to sell, would you also feel offended. Since the color has rarely been shown to enhance the speed of the bike. Or IS/post mount? If he really wants your second hand fork he can go and buy himself an adapter, right? 

If a hubber asks you the length of a stem you are selling, would you oblige? What is really the difference between a 85 and a 90mm stem?

Or what tires are on the second hand mtb you are selling? Since tires are all roundish and (mostly) black, anyway? Rolling resistance is a myth, right?

Or the chain? Since they are all made from the same steel?

What about the cassette? Can you REALLY tell the difference between a SLX and XT cassette in shifting?

Would you feel offended if Joe Slow asks you how many miles are on the wheels you are selling? Well built wheels will last a lifetime, right?

So if the buyer asks you the weight, answer the flipping question if you want to make your sale. Remember that the MONEY is still in the pocket of the buyer. And you are the seller. You want that money. That is why you are selling...

Some guys/gals like to weigh their components. Value for money is not really the consideration.

Some like titanium. Not because it offers the best value for money. Nor faster. Are they all dumb assholes? Why not just a run of the mill alu. frame?

By the way. The easiest/cheapest way to upgrade your bike is to buy stuff from weight weanies. They seem to "upgrade" quite often. And their stuff has not seen many heavy miles. Their bikes are not built for that.

You can get all the specs off the internet. That also goes for cars. Have you NEVER asked the salesman of cars ANY questions about the car you are apt to buy?

So. Just answer the question. What does it weigh?

X grams. Or are you ashamed of the answer?

I am not sure what to make of this 9 pages of rubbish.

etc etc etc 

This thread started off good, went bad and now turned outright ugly.

Relax everybody, it is a silly thread that doesn't require in-depth analysis and really just requires some good-natured banter.

Besides, if you guys dont' behave we'll start a Julius thread. We haven't had one of those for at least 48 hours now.

Do you also wash your your hands repeatedly? Relock your car three times after parking it? Compulsive Obsessive ring a bell?

Isn't there enough crap to worry about in this life of ours' date=' real stuff rather than spending time trying to save half a kilo. I would be interested to test some normal( most of us) riders on two bikes that weight half a kilo difference and see the actual performance difference.  Not sure the rider would be that aware of the " much lighter" bike.
[/quote']

hahaha nothing obsessive about that, racingsnail. you're right, at 5000 meter above sea level, a lighter bike would not make a difference (even if there's about 2 km of vertical ascent every day) - there's little enough oxygen to not be able to try and race. 

i just couldn't see the point of spending 100s of dollars on something (excess luggage, in this case), getting nothing in return. i chose to spend it on something lasting, rather - and what i saved (cos i still spent less than what the overweight would have been) i can spend on yak butter tea in a tibettan monastry.

Well put Goodbadugly.

Just as I find it strange that someone could drive a BMW X6 and spend 'only' R6k on a bicycle, it's what makes them happy.

I too find it strange that people would spend hundreds OF R's on cigarettes instead of on their bicycles, but it's their choice.

I spend more on my bike to make it lighter and great looking because we never had cash growing up,and that now makes me happy.

I don't fuss over small weight differences, but if a fork costing me R5k can be found for eg. in a Fox at 300g lighter then I'll take that.Thumbs%20Up

Just as I find it strange that someone could drive a BMW

you could have stopped the sentence there.

I don't even know what my bike weighs. I know for a fact that there are lighter bikes out there...BUT they usually finish behind me in a race.

I weighed myself yesterday - was sitting pretty at about 88kg's. Having a sub 9kg bike is not going to make me faster...

My wife weighs around 48kg's. I have upgraded some parts on her bike to make it lighter...It did improve her times in races...That and the fact the she "owns" her bike these days!!!

BUT, I am still faster than my wife.

My point being - it is not about the friggen weight of the bike or the rider!!! POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO - that is what counts!!!

MJ loves MTB2010-05-21 02:30:07

On the topic of power to weight ratio - Let is do some maths:

Rider weight: 75kg's

Average power ouptut: 250 watts

Bike weight: 12 kg's

Power to weight ratio: 2.87:1

if the rider drops 5kg body weight: 3.05:1

if the rider increases his output power to 280 watts a 75kg: 3.21:1

So from the above:

1. increase power

2. lose body weight - this is a nice spin off from number 1!

3. Spend a sh*t load of money if you have it.

And you don't understand people who worry about lighter bikes-sounds like you obsess about other stuff Censored

We just bloody enjoy it man!

Maybe lets post our race results and see who is who, cause suddenly all the people with heavy bikes finish in front  of lighter bikes???

Just got a pm, yeah I agree 100 % that I have been whipped by heavier bikes and much oilder riders at times and it makes me realise that I must train harder.

But what we are saying is that we enjoy making our bikes hotter and lighter regardlessThumbs%20Up

PS , I'm 39 years old 70kg and started riding at school ( Malcolm Langes) in 1987.

I Lost 15-16kg but I'm still a heavy cyclist at 78kg

Then I increased my power from 250w to around 350w... at about 15% per year.

I count grams now, I have a spreadsheet of exact weights of all my bikes part by part. The question to me is pertinent. Plus I just like nice stuff!

Yes my weight can still go down a bit, but I have to wait for muscle to atrophy...it takes time, so does increasing power.

For someone with 10kg's of fat to lose, start with your body weight.

Brilliant TarmacClap

I tried last year and early this year with heart rate zones, thresholds...... etc. and did worse in argus and 94.7- so now I just follow simple rule -if indoubt when tired ride slower and when strong ride harder and I feel better.

How does the power theory work?