"How much does it weigh" questions are silly

LazyTrailRider

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried this weight issue on my husband. I need a lighter bike, I tell him. You need a lighter stomach, he tells me.

You save weight here and there but at the end if you add a second water bottle to the mtb it's 800g heavier Confused

Oh yes' date=' I also weigh the spaghetti when I cook. I happen to know that 160 grams of dry spagghetti is just right for the two of us.[/quote']

*note to self. 1 packet does not make 1 meal.

I must say that until recently i didnt really know how much my bike weighed. If I was selling it I'd expect to be asked however. I don't get why its such a big deal for you that people want to know. If for instance you look at a Mongoose on the official site - no weights are given. As the user/seller of the bike surely you should be able to tell people what the bike weighs - maybe you've spent a bit on lighter parts over stock? As the seller you should be able to market your bike properly and know what questions people ask and what to answer - better still put it in the ad. You may sell more quickly, who knows.

So how does your 'average bloke' weigh his bike/parts accurately huh, kitchen/bathroom scale?

Ja sure ....... tchops

So how does your 'average bloke' weigh his bike/parts accurately huh' date=' kitchen/bathroom scale?

?

Ja sure ....... tchops
[/quote']

you get on the bathroom scale and get your weight. Get on again and this time have the bike with you. Deduct the two amounts. Or just ask your LBS to weigh it when you are there.

Whats wrong with the bathroom scale. It lies when my missus gets on( so she says)but I think its pretty acurate.

Surely if you get on without bike, take weight then hold bike and get on...the extra weight is your bikes weight. If not happy do it a few times and take average.

Its not about the grams surely...as a potential buyer I want to know if the bike is around 12kg or 15kg not 12.125kg and 14.975kg.

Can we please standardise the spelling of chop/tjop/tchop...

Haha Oh you tjops are funny!

The weight thing is this imaginary angelic force we all beleve in..Faith grows when we are busy sh*tting up a hill and we tell ourselves, I need a lighter bike.. No one knows if it makes a difference or If your last part really made a difference.

Martin, what does your "New Baby" weigh?

Agree on the bathroom scale thing - a rough weight is all I need to know my bike is a good 2kg heavier than a R65k carbon bike. And yes, losing the 2kg by eating better and ridng more is a far cheaper and more fun way to save the weight and maybe live a bit longer too...

"How much does it weigh?" = "How impressed will people be and how much will they think I paid for this if they didn't know I'd bought it second-hand?"

I must say that until recently i didnt really know how much my bike weighed. If I was selling it I'd expect to be asked however. I don't get why its such a big deal for you that people want to know. If for instance you look at a Mongoose on the official site - no weights are given. As the user/seller of the bike surely you should be able to tell people what the bike weighs - maybe you've spent a bit on lighter parts over stock? As the seller you should be able to market your bike properly and know what questions people ask and what to answer - better still put it in the ad. You may sell more quickly' date=' who knows.[/quote']

I was asked how much a fork I'm selling weighs...