Closure of Koeberg Cycling Trail

SURFER

Confirmed: Koeberg open on Monday, not this weekend. So it will be Contermanskloof

@SURFER : as you work at Koeberg, please ask your boss not to build a Nuclear Plant at the planned Thyspruit site close to Jefferies Bay !!! :angry:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can I get a map of the Koeberg Cycling Trail? I want to take my laaities, aged 5 and 6. But they cannot go very far (neither can I :D ).

Is there a short way to the beach, or bird hide where we can have a quick picnic and rest before turning back?

A maps not even necesarry, the short route is 7km, the long route about 20km. And fairly flat so easily done. Just follow the signs you will eventually get to a 4way which will show you right 21km straight and back 7km.

Try Google Earth. There is a birdwatching spot on the longer route with a nice view of the ocean and a small dam. Fairly flat, lots of moms and dads on Sunday mornings with their kids.

Thanks covie and SuperMario

I tried Google Earth but am not sure which of all those tracks is the cycling track.

Can I get to the beach?

It doesn't look as if there are any other resting spots for the little ones

best is to follow mtb signs on the tar, turn right and ride back towards r27, at the end, bear left onto the gravel, follow this to the 4 way intersection. turn left and follow the road ,even when it bears left. at the "house" on the right there is a grassed picnic area. going down to the beach is easy as it is downhill (keep straight at 4 way) but it will be difficult coming back up if yr kids are under 10 yrs old as it is very sandy. note , a single speed bmx like bike won't work.

Thanks covie and SuperMario

I tried Google Earth but am not sure which of all those tracks is the cycling track.

Can I get to the beach?

It doesn't look as if there are any other resting spots for the little ones

Yup once you get to the 4 way stop with the 7 / 21km signs just go straight you eventually drive into the beach.

Yup once you get to the 4 way stop with the 7 / 21km signs just go straight you eventually drive into the beach.

4 way stop = 16 on the map. beach = 14 on the map

best is to follow mtb signs on the tar, turn right and ride back towards r27, at the end, bear left onto the gravel, follow this to the 4 way intersection. turn left and follow the road ,even when it bears left. at the "house" on the right there is a grassed picnic area. going down to the beach is easy as it is downhill (keep straight at 4 way) but it will be difficult coming back up if yr kids are under 10 yrs old as it is very sandy. note , a single speed bmx like bike won't work.

How long is this sandy stretch? I am used to pushing their bikes (and mine) uphill for shortish distances..... :D

Here's a map from a Koeberg brochure.

Many thanks for the map. Much appreciated.

And thanks to everybody else posting.