what happend to my tyre

stewie911

Will have a look at OKO. Now' date=' the question is what do I do with my front tyre?
Throw out the stans and use OKO or throw out the tyre. I don't want that happening during a race or ride
[/quote']

I use a mixture of OKO and Joes.......changed to Spaz Captain Control and no problems

BTW

One of my delaminations happened halfway down Sphincter Hill on the Kalchal Day 2.Interesting balance of pure terror and puzzlement as to what was actually happening to my back wheel

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you buy OKO I do not think I have seen it in cycle shops<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have seen this on numerous brands of tyres' date=' it can result of a hard hit, sealant "eating" the compound, bad manufacture etc, try to see if Omnico will help you out, but don't hold your breath...[/quote']

Tyre was bought from crc. Will omnico cover it?

Highly unlikely...in this case I wouldn't even bother. Again we can open up the can of worms where a tyre may be cheaper, but now if you had bought it locally the chance of them at least entertaining some form of claim would've been good.

Depends what he payed, would be interesting to make the comparison....

R330 vat inc from crc

Locally I think they cost around R550.

For me crc is better. I mean, what's the chances of a defect tyre anyways. And we go through a few tyres a year.

That tyre didn't delaminate.

Delamination is a separation of the layers of the tyre and creates bubbles between layers that present as soft spots on the surface.

This tyre has a broken carcass. The rayon cords that run from side-to-side at a 35 degrees to the centre, had broken, putting pulling the tyre to look like a boxer with a broken nose.

This usually happens from a bottom-out when the rim cuts the tyre internally without any external visibility.  It is a weird concept but often used on farms where animals are castrated with a special pair of pliers that cut the testicle's connecting plumbing without cutting through the scrotum.

Once these cords are broken and the left and right side unbalanced, air pressure pulls the tyre crooked.

Apart from a hard hit, an internal flaw in the cords could also cause this.

It is a once-off affair and without examining it carefully, you won't find the direct cause. I doubt the distributor has hte skill or the will to examine it.

I opened it yesterday and parts of the inner layer has come lose. Will post pics tomorrow night.

I doubt a bottom-out happened, as I run my tyres at 2.5bar and I weigh around 69kg.

It Doesn't need to bottom out to cause this, a sidewall hit can cause this as well,

So here's the results.

20100601_103427_IMG_6462.JPG

20100601_103505_IMG_6466.JPG

The whole inner lining is loose.

The top picture is of the tyre turned inside out
stewie9112010-06-01 10:36:44