what happend to my tyre

stewie911

someone posted on the hub a while back he hung it on the back of his car and the heat from the exhaust damaged the tyre. Possibility?

It looks like the tyre melted and deformed in the middle if you look closely at the pic

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NOt exhaust or photoshop.

Tyre was just fine 2 days ago and I didn't touch the bike from then

I quickly went back to the bike and the tyre has a bigger twist and has a bump towards the outside.

I deflated it to about 1bar, because I'm afraid it will burst.

I read about this happening to Kendas and sealant last year on other forums too. From what I can remember is that the sealant reacts with certain models of certain brands.

I even think it was on the hub that a very similar pic was posted last year.

I've been quite bold about the delamanation issue as I never had such a problem in 4 years and over 30 tires... until a few weeks ago when my Maxxis Crossmark LUST delaminated and made a bubble... def. delamination in your photo... comes down to poor bonding... In Stans delamination tests, the tyres all delaminated after extensive abuse to them. So a good one could delaminate from abuse, but a bad one can delaminate without abuse.

I've seen 2 brand new tyres with humps like that before... Looked like both were moulded skew. It happens...

So' date=' it's a throw away? And I can't blame anyone but myself [/quote']

Gooi weg,koop nuwe....

Joe's does it as well

Had 2 x Kenda Nevagals do it.Fact of life!

So' date=' it's a throw away? And I can't blame anyone but myself [/quote']

Def a throw away. If it was reasonably new, try to exchange it... def a manufacturers fault if doing it after a few rides.

Stewie stick to OKO (All Bran) and Ryder which are supposedly natural fibrous sealants for Kendas. So far my Nevegals have held out fine with OKO.

I have seen this on numerous brands of tyres, it can result of a hard hit, sealant "eating" the compound, bad manufacture etc, try to see if Omnico will help you out, but don't hold your breath...

Will have a look at OKO. Now, the question is what do I do with my front tyre?

Throw out the stans and use OKO or throw out the tyre. I don't want that happening during a race or ride

I have seen this on numerous brands of tyres' date=' it can result of a hard hit, sealant "eating" the compound, bad manufacture etc, try to see if Omnico will help you out, but don't hold your breath...[/quote']

Tyre was bought from crc. Will omnico cover it?

I had a Kenda Karma do exactly the same thing, but put it down to a side wall impact (visible marks). Maybe it was also a delamination from the joes sealant, or a combination of that and the impact.

I would take the front tire off and check if there are any signs of delamintaion, if not, clean it out and put in OKO.

I have seen this on numerous brands of tyres' date=' it can result of a hard hit, sealant "eating" the compound, bad manufacture etc, try to see if Omnico will help you out, but don't hold your breath...[/quote']

Tyre was bought from crc. Will omnico cover it?

Highly unlikely...in this case I wouldn't even bother. Again we can open up the can of worms where a tyre may be cheaper, but now if you had bought it locally the chance of them at least entertaining some form of claim would've been good.