Look sharp when buying 2nd hand Carbon bikes

mark ellis

Pic of a fake Pinarello:

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy64/hoai_izzi/IMG_1162.jpg

ok this thread has got me thinking, i'm wanting to buy a new MTB pretty soon, how exactly would i be able to tell if a frame is a fake, i mean the frame above looks pretty convincing if you ask me, but i must admit i dont know much about the pinarello brand.

and this is a question for you naas, you talk about duel suspension frames ? what sizes are you tinking of bringing in and what would they cost? as well as hard tail MTB frames?

That Pinarello might be a fake. But I'll bet you its lighter and still cheaper than the original.

Food for thought, The Raleigh and Planet X TT Frame is made in the same factory as Pinarello frames are......Its all about marketing!

I bet that fake Pinarello costs about the same as a mid range Raleigh, and rides a whole lot better.

Well reading up on the fake Pinarellos...

Apparently they are made in the same factory as the the originals in Asia, but are painted in Asia as opposed to Italy...

Apparently...

Have been through these factories enough to know that most of the time 99% the "fake frame" are just over runs!

And the raleigh will ride just as well as cervelo frames as they are now made in the same factory!

Well, these days Volvos are also made in the same factory as Tatas. Is the quality the same?

Good point, the specs are probably not! But the quality matels etc will be....again I think it is all about marketing...Volvo probably make great margin but sell few and Tata sell high volume but low margin!

I disagree about the materials being the same.

I used to work in a factory that made Alloy wheels for cars. There were a few different specs of Aluminium Alloy that we used, depending on the customer. Some wheels were heat treated, and some weren't.

There was also a significant difference in design specifications.

I can tell you that Swedish design performance requirements are way different from Indian design requirements.