EPIC BIKE

Berry

hmmm R57 000

Other than my entry on the two epics I have ridden I spent a sum total of R400 for a new crossmark that I slashed on the time trial in this years epic. I serviced my own bike, never replaced cables (in fact with a full housing from shifter to d?railleur I only replaced my cable about 3000km later)

It's as expensive as you want to make it. No massages, no mechanic, a well looked after bike...easily doable for lots less.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry but I disagree with the spares by the sh*tload. Except if it breaks why would you need extra cables? To break a cable it must be very old or installed badly. I've seen guys take extra deraileurs, cables, chains, rings, cassettes etc. As brussel says, if you take care of your stuff and use it properly there is no reason it won't last 8 days. You get guys who stand on the pedals and then shift and look around in amazement when the chain gives. Duh if you treat your equipment like that then you will break a hammer as well. Stuff do break but a sudden failure is the exception, something usually crackled or popped before it snapped. BTW we are  not talking about pros but the everyday rider.

R57k? They're nuts. I put a new chain and cassette on before the start of the Epic and gave the bike a good clean. Apart from some chainlube, that was it until the end of the race. Some people over-complicate things.

There hasn't been a wet stage on the epic for the last 2 or 3 years. The law of averages dictates that there should be one again...soon. If any of you rode one of those wet Knysna stages, you'll understand why the majority of riders tell you to come prepared.

I had to spend R3K after a wet stage 2 at Sabie this year. The bike was serviced before the event, but I had to do Cables, chain and cassette and also had to replace my BB and have my rear hub serviced after a really wet stage. Sabie is not nearly as tough on your bike as the Epic.

Carry at least the following spares: Extra Chain, extra brake pads, extra casette, extra cable inners, extra tyre and take 2 hangers with and some sealant.

Stay away from the high pressure cleaning if you can. Use a foldable camping washbasin (you get those canvas ones that fold in).

Talked to the owner of the LBS' date=' he finished his 5th Epic this year in a respectable position. He says dual-sus for the average rider. Also told me to budget for a lot of spares, new cables everyday or every second day, new chain and cassette before the start of the Epic and a new set after. Budget for a few tyres during the race.

The RIDE article sums it up good. I think it is worth the cost to buy a proper bike, since you are going to be  spending a lot of time before and during the Epic on it.
[/quote']

New cables? Interesting, ran XTR cables in 2009 Epic, and never replaced them.  Still have them my Anthem.  Also runs the same XT cassette, only replaced the XTR chain.

Lastly, started with a set of Maxxi's Monorails and they lasted the whole race.

It's as expensive as you want to make it. No massages' date=' no mechanic, a well looked after bike...easily doable for lots less.[/quote']

Amen!

Talked to the owner of the LBS' date=' he finished his 5th Epic this year in a respectable position. He says dual-sus for the average rider. Also told me to budget for a lot of spares, new cables everyday or every second day, new chain and cassette before the start of the Epic and a new set after. Budget for a few tyres during the race.

?

The RIDE article sums it up good. I think it is worth the cost to buy a proper bike, since you are going to be? spending a lot of time before and during the Epic on it.
[/quote']

?

?

New cables? Interesting, ran XTR cables in 2009 Epic, and never replaced them.? Still have them my Anthem.? Also runs the same XT cassette, only replaced the XTR chain.

?

Lastly, started with a set of Maxxi's Monorails and they lasted the whole race.

?

?

I don't buy that either. What is the difference between riding 900km in 9 days then riding 900km in 90 days? There are people that train for the Epic and do thousand of kms and don't change anything till the week before and then suddenly they get all paranoid and change everything everyday.

It is not about the bike, but a can-do attitude. Either you can do the Epic or you can't.

I agree with Merida about wet stages making the biggest difference. I remember the wet Knysna start of a few years ago. It ate hundreds of brake pads in the first 40kms.

But what is the minimum bike? It all depends on you. I'm preparing a non-suspension single speed bike for a Freedom Challenge customer right now. Everyone says he's mad. I say he'll finish and probably win his category. Why? 'Cause he's a can-do oke. I'd say anyone with some vasbyt can do it on any 3x9 bike of reasonable quality with front suspension. No need for full suspension.

As for cables, wet rides eat exposed cables. Do a continuous cable conversion and you'll finish the Epic and more on one set. Also, the Epic is not long enough to consume a chain. You'll finish with the same chain and sprockets.

My guess is that you're looking for a reason to buy another bike. Change your position and challenge yourself to finish the Epic on whatever bike you currently have.

To put things in context you have to take other things into consideration as well:

1. Rider weight. Surely my 90kgs is harder on my equipment than my riding partner's 70kgs (riding at the same pace)

2. Riding style. I am more prone to mash my gears than my riding partner that has the ability to spin up steep technical climbs

3. Conditions. A wet Epic stage will change your mind - guaranteed.

4. Luck or lack thereof. Sit on a wheel of a rider that suddenly comes off his bike or catch a rock or a sharp stick and you'll be in for some repairs afterwards.

So GO PREPARED. Nothing will be wasted because you can use it afterwards. Only buy spares at the event as a last resort because the tech support guys will charge you double what your LBS is going to charge afterwards. I have an arrangement with LBS to take spares on "consignment" for big races. If I don't use the spares I simply return it in its original packaging after the event.

THANKS JOHAN

THAT IS WHAT I THINK BUT THE PEOPLE TELL YOU  U MUST HAVE R

40000 BIKES BUT I THINK IT IS NOT ALL BIKE BUT ALL MIND

THANKS

I have done 3 and my only repairs were a tire replacements. Last year a delamination (Maxxis replaced it FOR FREE) and a huge hole in my rear tire this year.  

No massages, no extras, no bike services.

My partner did the Epic on a hardtail in 2010.

I did the Sabie X on a hardtail in 2009. The mud ate my $$$.
Goodbadugly2010-06-07 13:12:28

Did the 2010 Epic on a new Merida TFS 800 hardtail with XT/SLX. Only problems were with my back tire after I damaged my tubeless setup and had to fit a tube. I replaced the chain after the epic as a precaution, but apart from that have had nothing replaced. I have since done another 1500km's without any problems.

All my training including the Attakwas and Argus before the race was done on a R3500 Merida Matts 20V.

what do u guys think of this FOR THE EPIC20100614_003337_10_FELT_SIX_ELI.jpg under R20000 carbon  SLX  10KG

Perfect bike for the EPIC.