Bike frame material choice

turtlek

So with recent World cup and TDf threads taking over lets start another Bicycle related thread

Different to all the other frame material threads that are on here currently

Lets discuss what properties of your favourite material excite you and make your ride more worthwhile than your other buddies ride...

Aluminium can handle fist size rocks being thrown up and hitting the down tube. I would be interested to see how carbon would handle such an impact.

I imagine that carbon would feel a lot like my toes and shins feel...

I have had fair sized rocks and logs hit my carbon tubes and not much effect... carbon is strong.

I have a thick clear protective tape underneath, and all is well so far.

I think if had to get a metal bike I would buy Ti

Steel is real!!!!! Ti second choice for sure( If you can afford it!)

Nothing beats the ride quality of a well built steel frame. I have ridden them all and in the end I went back to my trusty steel rig!

Speaking from experience, if you go Ti check what the warranty is and who REALLY does the welding. Don't trust everything you hear about Ti

Alu,  Im a bit heavy for Carbon i think 95kgs, also got a picture of cracked mtb's in my mind i cant remove!

Carbon is my material of choice for my road bike, but when it comes to my mountain bike, I prefer alu!  

Ja, my carbon road frame is great, stiff, light - all those nice things that make a cyclist go all fuzzy inside.....but I'll stick to alu on the MTB. Me thinks potentially, dented alu works better than cracked carbon!

My 2c - how many carbon mtb frames actually break/snap/crack comparing to other materials  ?

People always say it does this so they wont ride carbon, but then Joshmtb and Grondpad or was it Bumpngrind also had alu frames cracking in the same place at the rear stay.  Then I know of some Ti frames having bad welds and cracking as well

I guess the real bit comes in when you fall on a rock with it, then the carbon might go bang and others just dent

I also went carbon mtb this year. Yet to have it break on me. It's nice and light. Climbs like monster. It's dead beautifull.

My 2c - how many carbon mtb frames actually break/snap/crack comparing to other materials  ?

People always say it does this so they wont ride carbon' date=' but then Joshmtb and Grondpad or was it Bumpngrind also had alu frames cracking in the same place at the rear stay.  Then I know of some Ti frames having bad welds and cracking as well

I guess the real bit comes in when you fall on a rock with it, then the carbon might go bang and others just dent
[/quote']

i agree, carbon all the way on the road, there is an honost difference.

But for mtb, doesnt make much difference. you cant tell me with fat soft tyres, and shocks that "carbon is stiffer"!! Yes, 100% on the road though!!

On the Jo2C the subject came up, and one of the mac's counted then 5 cracked carbon and one aly. If you take in consideration that most of the field where riding aly frames makes you think hey.

one word: INSURANCE

I have it, wether it's alu or carbon. if it breaks, they replace it. 

Anyways, I ride what makes me happy and not what may have a greater chance of breaking

My wallet kind of decides right now. Im in the process of going Carbon on the road I got my shwinny to train on and do the odd road tri but Im digging it more and more, my roadbike is such a cute thing, haha ali, probably weighs what most hardtails weigh on the hub but when I ride it after I ride my dikwiel, I skeem its a little bottlerocket. so yes, Im looking out for carbon, aparently It really makes a difference? I just recon it looks lekke... theres quite a few secondhand frames on here at the moment. 

The mountain breaker.. I cant get it over my heart to even start thinking of selling my blur for something lighter.. we have came so far, and experienced so much. when donnering downhill I doubt nothing, hit all the jumps down the trails and then ride back up with a smile of content. I would definately dig shaving off 1.5 Kg which a new reba and a light hardtailframe would do, but my bike has proven to be so much more then a race machine. Its Dik ali.. If you flick it with your finger, It doesnt shound like a empty can of coke, Its got a dull hard sound. theres not a single ding on that puppy, and the Anodisig is so scratch resistant. Im convinced that not many other frames would have been in one piece after the 3 years of racing, trailriding pinning it downhill with a 70mm stem and seat dropped.... That is one real mountainbike. frame! long live my blur

But I would swing it in 2 cents if someone gave me a new carbon blurLOL

Im convinced of the durability, It spreads loads so much better than ali or welds can ever do.  Downhill bikes are going full carbon, greg won Maribor on one.  its not just lighter, but the guys can build it so much thicker cause its so light.