watch out for cajees fourways!

kamikaze

I'm with you on this one!!

I have been shafted by both the mentioned stores more than cajee's!

even joined a club of one of them being promised riding jerseys, rude mag subscriptions and a MASSIVE 5 % discount!! all advertised.

All i got was a 5% discount on over prised stuff, no jersey, no ride subscription!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ones did not get an item at a price I was willing to pay from Cajees. If they don't have an item on the shelf, they will strip a bike for it. But i normally know what I want and what the prices are.

Another thing, while I am on my soap box. Cajees are the least judgemental (read snobbish) out of all the Northern Suburbs bike shops, bar none. For anyone that cannot afford to buy anything above entry level, shops like FPC, Cycle Lab etc, seem to treat you like a second class citizen, because you are not seriously considering the latest Cervelo or whatever.

Couldn't agree with you more!

It's a funny thing that I have just realised...

...it is not just the bike shops that are snobbish. Its their customers too.

Some people seem too embarrassed to admit that they shop at Cajees, and would rather be seen in a boutique shop. That is fine by me.

If you know what you want and how much it is worth, then you can pick and choose your shops, or buy online.

You cannot haggle at a boutique shop. You ask, you get, you pay.

Thats why the hub is here, to get good deals on stuff.

For me I like to tinker on my bike, some things I need help with, but most of the stuff I try myself.

Anyway, there is no Cajees in Cape Town, some of them just trade under a different name.

It's a funny thing that I have just realised...

...it is not just the bike shops that are snobbish. Its their customers too.

Some people seem too embarrassed to admit that they shop at Cajees, and would rather be seen in a boutique shop. That is fine by me.

You only realise that now? You know alot of people are willing to pay alot of money just so that the chain stay protector sticker says "CL" or "FPC". The same with the "Sandton Renault" sticker on the back of their R1399 a month Sandero.

I have always known that people are "Brand Snobs", but thought that they didn't care where it came from. I was, perhaps, a little naive.

Cajees contributes nothing towards cycling. I wouldnt even classify them as amatures. Cajees does not have any passion towards cycling. There passion is whats in the cash register. I understand that one goes into business to make money.

There should also be a degree of passion in the job one does.

When you walk into Cycle Lab, FP Cycles, Tony Impey Cycles, etc one notices the passion they have towards cycling.

One would not take there luxury car to some back street mechanic, so why do we take our bikes to Cajees.

It is our fault also, we keep them in business.

I live in the East Rand and the cycling shops that I support are Tony Impey, Finish Line, Tour de Frans, Johnsons Cycles and Solomons (ocassionaly, when i am in the area).

Cajees does not exist in my world.

One would not take there luxury car to some back street mechanic, so why do we take our bikes to Cajees.

Not everybody has luxury cars. And by doing stuff yourself don't you count as a "backyard mechanic"?

I have been shafted by both the mentioned stores more than cajee's!

even joined a club of one of them being promised riding jerseys, rude mag subscriptions and a MASSIVE 5 % discount!! all advertised.

All i got was a 5% discount on over prised stuff, no jersey, no ride subscription!

What kind of rude mag subscriptions? Can you get me one?

Jip, been there once. Bought a couple quick links asked a few questions about parts and lights and noticed the guys didnt have a clue what they were talking about.... so I left and vowed.

Now I drive a little further to what I can wholeheartedly call my Local Bike Shop, they all cycle, they make wins too, on top of the gear game, they help me finding good value for money. I've had a couple emergency same-day repairs done,

and in return, they get cake, pancake, brownies, muffins... whatever the multisport-budget still allows for.... and of course good reference.

Saying goes: where your money is, your heart is. Guess my heart is in 3rd Ave, Linden.

I only ever use Cajees when I know exactly what I want, and call them to haggle the price down to the cheapest level I can get it to. I would never, ever ask them for advice and I certainly wouldn't ever have any work done on my bikes there.

In fairness to them, I just don't think they are equipped to deal with knowledgeable cyclists and feel that their stores are more targeted towards the fun riders and newbies out there. Not that this makes giving poor advice and poorer service acceptable.

I think that is the problem. They could be ripping off people who are new to the sport quite badly. R900 + for an LX derailer? That is clearly their strategy.

Jip, been there once. Bought a couple quick links asked a few questions about parts and lights and noticed the guys didnt have a clue what they were talking about.... so I left and vowed.

Now I drive a little further to what I can wholeheartedly call my Local Bike Shop, they all cycle, they make wins too, on top of the gear game, they help me finding good value for money. I've had a couple emergency same-day repairs done,

and in return, they get cake, pancake, brownies, muffins... whatever the multisport-budget still allows for.... and of course good reference.

Saying goes: where your money is, your heart is. Guess my heart is in 3rd Ave, Linden.

I worked at Linden Cycles for years when I was a youngster and the shop was the size of a postage stamp. I've never heard a bad word said against Joneen or the shop. She sponsors youngsters, has a seriously soft spot for the lady riders, has a heart of gold and will bend over backwards to help you.

Linden is indeed the local "local bike shop" - no attitude, great service and fair prices.

Can you tell I'm a big fan :-)

I have been there a few times as a last resort and every time left empty handed. The reason is the way they prices things. Ask for double the price, but when you tell them they are crazy, they reduce it drastically. Once they have done that there prices have still been crazy, whcih I have told them and walked out.

One solution is to do some research on costs etc before you buy, and also know what you need to buy. Cajees is not the only shop that has elevated prices, I can think of a few around the corner. U can go to one and buy Joes for example for R180 or go a few km down the road and buy it for R129.

Just do some research.

I have to be honest, one has to be a little crazy for even thinking you could take a bike to then for a service :-) But then again a bike shop just around the corner is not much better in bikes services, but that story/stories would take up way too many threads. The end solution was to just do it myself.....

Yeah and down the road is Mikes Bikes. Mike used to work at Linden and you can see it in his attitude to the job at hand.

His shop though focusses more on the boutique side of things, but they've filled that niche perfectly with their approach and workmanship to boot.

Plus they gave me a beer once ;)

Yeah and down the road is Mikes Bikes. Mike used to work at Linden and you can see it in his attitude to the job at hand.

His shop though focusses more on the boutique side of things, but they've filled that niche perfectly with their approach and workmanship to boot.

Plus they gave me a beer once ;)

And thats where my bike is going Monday week for its service.Been going to Mike for 2 years and never had an issue.