Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

As to tyres, in my experience these are duty-free. As to buying locally, stop pulling my leg. Anything a tiny bit out of the ordinary (tyres wider than 25mm, brake or shift cables in a colour other than black) are almost impossible to find in CT. The LBSes go for the wannabe-racer road/MTB thick wallet crowd only. If there is a "normal" bike shop in CT, please advise. Olympic is probably the best for my needs, and I do shop there as much as possible

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi There,

I am considering buying a bike in the UK and my mother will bring it back mid September (She'll visit my brother soon).  I am considering to leave the wheels in the UK (I will anyway upgrade the wheels) and my brother will then sell them for me (he's in Cambridge).

1.  As long as I can convince the shop to invoice me with a parts list, I should be able to skip the 15%? (because it is not a "bike" any longer). I.e. only pay VAT and the handling fee (if applicable?).  Correct?

2.  Does anyone have experience with claiming UK VAT back (20%) for stuff bought in-country?  

Tax-free-shopping-in-the-uk/vat-notice-7041

3.  What will the process be at OR Tambo?  She will report to the RED zone - what can she expect there?  By when / how must the VAT & feees be paid?  Would it be possible to refer the discussion to the Customs offices "outside" arrival so that I can assist her?

She is still going to pay 14% vat + 10 ATV, seeing as its not a ZA bike returning. Don't try and Use a invoice that says its parts. If they see that its actually a Bicycle and not parts, you will also be paying a Heavy Penalty on top of your vat. And that's not worth it. Customs people are very accommodating and reasonable...  

As to tyres, in my experience these are duty-free. As to buying locally, stop pulling my leg. Anything a tiny bit out of the ordinary (tyres wider than 25mm, brake or shift cables in a colour other than black) are almost impossible to find in CT. The LBSes go for the wannabe-racer road/MTB thick wallet crowd only. If there is a "normal" bike shop in CT, please advise. Olympic is probably the best for my needs, and I do shop there as much as possible

No Duties on Tyres...

No Duties on Tyres...

So here is my issue with customs. I check on this and saw that there was no duty on tyre and no shop in SA stocked the tubeless road tyres I needed so I bought oversea. The package arrived and I got slapped with VAT, Duty, Handling and more that pretty much doubled the actual price of the tyres. When I asked if I could appeal they said I had to send back the whole package and it would take 6 months. That was obviously never going to happen. In addition to this the person who had opened the  package had marked them down as car tyres despite the invoice clearly saying they were bike tyres. 

I know it's a big job but there doesn't seem to be that much consistency or come back.

She is still going to pay 14% vat + 10 ATV, seeing as its not a ZA bike returning. Don't try and Use a invoice that says its parts. If they see that its actually a Bicycle and not parts, you will also be paying a Heavy Penalty on top of your vat. And that's not worth it. Customs people are very accommodating and reasonable...  

No Duties on Tyres...

Thank Lexx,

We'll just bring in everything - rather safe than sorry.  With the stronger Rand, weaker Pound and end of season sales it is still a moewiese bargain...

PS:  Will customs add the extra baggage fee to determine the Customs Value? 

Owe you a coffee.   :thumbup:

Edited by carrera4s

No Duties on Tyres...

Also - the shop won't want to "part out" the bike. It's a single item. IE: 1xCannondale Habit, large. 

It's not an off-the-shelf list of parts that make up a bike. If they did the invoice like that, they'd have to circumvent their invoicing system, otherwise you're going to pay through your arse as you're paying retail for individual aftermarket (NON OEM) parts. 

So here is my issue with customs. I check on this and saw that there was no duty on tyre and no shop in SA stocked the tubeless road tyres I needed so I bought oversea. The package arrived and I got slapped with VAT, Duty, Handling and more that pretty much doubled the actual price of the tyres. When I asked if I could appeal they said I had to send back the whole package and it would take 6 months. That was obviously never going to happen. In addition to this the person who had opened the  package had marked them down as car tyres despite the invoice clearly saying they were bike tyres. 

I know it's a big job but there doesn't seem to be that much consistency or come back.

Ergh. That's horrible, man. You'd think a certain amount of intelligence was a requirement for that type of job... 

Yip, that does happen i'm afraid. But you are allowed to dispute the Tarrif they've used. Did they send you a tarrif code they said you must use?

Because Car Tyres does attract 30% Duties. 

Ergh. That's horrible, man. You'd think a certain amount of intelligence was a requirement for that type of job... 

Exactly.... Same thing happened to a client that exported Printer Cartridges to Mozambique. So the guys at JHB only saw Cartridges on the system, and thought, hang on, this guy is exporting "Gun" Cartridges, and they then asked for Police clearance, Itac Certificate etc....

Long Story short, they actually had to send Pics and Invoices showing that its Printer Cartridges..  :eek:

Exactly.... Same thing happened to a client that exported Printer Cartridges to Mozambique. So the guys at JHB only saw Cartridges on the system, and thought, hang on, this guy is exporting "Gun" Cartridges, and they then asked for Police clearance, Itac Certificate etc....

Long Story short, they actually had to send Pics and Invoices showing that its Printer Cartridges..  :eek:

ai yai yai... 

No Duties on Tyres...

Sorry Lexx,

Last question:  I assume she will have to pay there before leaving?  What payment methods are accepted there?  Hopefully EFT since I will be very uncomfortable if she has to carry that amount of cash all the way...  She does not have a credit card, can she pay with debit card?

Or can they keep it, I pay the taxes & fees and then collect afterwards?

Edited by carrera4s

Thank Lexx,

We'll just bring in everything - rather safe than sorry.  With the stronger Rand, weaker Pound and end of season sales it is still a moewiese bargain...

PS:  Will customs add the extra baggage fee to determine the Customs Value? 

Owe you a coffee.   :thumbup:

No, we only use the Price actually paid.....

Only if i buy the coffee, otherwise its seen as a bribe. :whistling:  ;)

Yip, that does happen i'm afraid. But you are allowed to dispute the Tarrif they've used. Did they send you a tarrif code they said you must use?

Because Car Tyres does attract 30% Duties. 

All I got was a fat bill at the Post Office and it was touch and go as to if I was just going to walk away and save some money. The only thing I got was the offer of sending the whole package to somewhere at my expense for 6 months to dispute which really didn't seem that concrete or appealing. 

Can i at least get a refund on the inspection charge as that wasn't exactly all it should have been. ;) 

Sorry Lexx,

Last question:  I assume she will have to pay there before leaving?  What payment methods are accepted there?  Hopefully EFT since I will be very uncomfortable if she has to carry that amount of cash all the way...  She does not have a credit card, can she pay with debit card?

Yes, she can pay with debit card. They are using a PPS system that allows you to either pay cash,or card or travelers Cheques

All I got was a fat bill at the Post Office and it was touch and go as to if I was just going to walk away and save some money. The only thing I got was the offer of sending the whole package to somewhere at my expense for 6 months to dispute which really didn't seem that concrete or appealing. 

Can i at least get a refund on the inspection charge as that wasn't exactly all it should have been. ;)

Ha ha ha, No unfortunately not..

Re: UK VAT refunds - there are offices pre-security at the major airports. You need to go there first WITH the goods to claim back the VAT. This should be simple enough - at least at Heathrow T5 (where I normally leave from) you can check in, get your oversized bike box tagged for the flight, go to the VAT refund office and then drop the bike at the oversized luggage ramp. All close together at the right side of check-in. Other airports/terminals not so sure, but should be easy enough.

You need to be flying out of the EU (not via another EU airport) on a non-resident passport and have the VAT receipt showing a non EU address as well (Make sure you get this at purchase).

It will be a sizeable refund - will they pay it out there, or send it back to the retailer to do a refund?

Flying to Addis Abbeba so no issues.

Not sure how UK VAT refunds are processed - I imagine a credit card refund? In SA they give you a limited-use debit card. In Oz right back to the credit card used.

Here's my own SARS story - package arrived CPT airport separate from my flight - mostly camping gear. Held for Customs clearance, I had to retrieve it. Went to the office, met a nice chap who reviewed my printed manifest and (as the stuff was staying in SA) offered to charge me the VAT only (no duties) on the declared value (all without opening the box) which was agreed.

Went to pay the charge - two cashiers at two windows.. both went to lunch at the same time! I cooled my heels in the office for an hour while they ate their lunch. The agent came out, saw me, asked what's up, went out back, came back, apologised but could do nothing.

That's Africa, man :-)