price fixing hey...now what? does it actually help us?

mark ellis

I think that (the agent only supplying the retailer)will soon become a thing of the past.

The market here is far too small to support the supply chain as it stands now.

It's also a fallacy that retailers buy 10 group sets at a time, walk around your local "Pro shop", do you see ten of anything, I dont, Shimano would do cartwheels if every shop bought 10 groupsets at a time.

Any supply chain is only as strong as its weakest link, here its the end user (the public) - who have realised they can get the product cheaper, quicker and with more choice by importing themselves - in my opinion the only way to strengthen that weak link, is by the agent supplying the end user directly, thereby giving him a cost advantage and keeping the money in the local market.

Its happened in every industry, Taps, Bathroom fittings, Tiles, Furniture, white goods, tools, you name it, ITS GOT TO HAPPEN HERE, if it hasnt happened already, it wont be long.

What do you do for a living, just as a matter of interest ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a Graphic designer/modelmaker/signmaker and a CNC machinist/programmer - I can run a waterjet, laser cutter & waterjet ;)

Now I dont really know about bikes, but I dont think they are all that technical, certainly I have never heard of a 5 year bike mechanic apprenticeship, most shops I see employ unskilled labour in a tatty T shirt and shorts and show them what to do, the most high tech piece of equipment I have seen is a bicycle stand, and usually they have less spanners than me - and I dont have many.

… I just find it odd that its cheaper to service a car in an extremly high tech enviroment, than it is to service a bike in a back room somewhere.

I find this characterisation of bike shops very unfair. The owner of the LBS that I moonlight at has been cycling and working with bikes for four decades. His workshop manager wrenched for Barloworld. As to the tools, come on, you can't have been in many bicycle workshops.

I used to own a heavy duty engineering company, had it for 23 years, however in 2008 I sold the company to a division of Dorbyl and retired.

So yeah, I dont do anything now :D

My wife is an advocate and she still works though, says she still enjoys it, anyway, she says I am far too grumpy to be around all day, work is a break for her.! :D

I find this characterisation of bike shops very unfair. The owner of the LBS that I moonlight at has been cycling and working with bikes for four decades. His workshop manager wrenched for Barloworld. As to the tools, come on, you can't have been in many bicycle workshops.

Those tools certainly are expensive!

Fair enough.

Maybe I need to get out more.?

The most important (s)tool is the one on the left. Bike shop employers use it to sit and dream up ways to rip you off…

post-1604-001170300 1285137505.jpg

The most important (s)tool is the one on the left. Bike shop employers use it to sit and dream up ways to rip you off…

:lol: :lol: - Ha,Ha, yeah, but I prefer one with a back rest.

To be honest if I look at that pic I dont see too much high tech equipment, you could probably buy 10 of those entire kit's cheaper than one car lift or a diamond tipped cutter for a gear lathe, but I get your drift.

I dont dispute the price of these tools - I have a lot of tools myself - Not all cycling related - Being a model maker I spent about R20 000 on various tools over three years - Just a question - Why all Park Tool? :unsure:

:lol: :lol: - Ha,Ha, yeah, but I prefer one with a back rest.

To be honest if I look at that pic I dont see too much high tech equipment, you could probably buy 10 of those entire kit's cheaper than one car lift or a diamond tipped cutter for a gear lathe, but I get your drift.

Again so true ;)

I dont dispute the price of these tools - I have a lot of tools myself - Not all cycling related - Being a model maker I spent about R20 000 on various tools over three years - Just a question - Why all Park Tool? :unsure:

Just a random search. That's the Master Mechanic Kit, I think. I reckon most shops use a combination of different brands of tools.

What do you do Dangle?

I have a bike shop, one of those shops y'all complain so bitterly about, one of those shops who rips people off, I live an a 2000 square meter house with 5 swimming pools and have 2 Porsche 911's and numerous Diablo's and Ferrari's.

Reason for asking was what Grumpy suggested, yes let's get rid of the middle man, no problem.

Let's then apply that to industries across the board, not just the cycle trade.

Let's close all retail down and go wholesale, we will all be much happier and pay cheaper prices not just in this hobby, but any and every hobby, sport or interest available to man.

I say let's do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you are a small independent operator trying to put food to mouth as well Crack, well I won't be using you, the bigger corporates are cheaper and can do the job faster and I actually don't care if your quality is better.

I come from engineering where I was earning a livable wage, I am now in retail and I fess up, I am tired of milking the general public, I can't stand the sight of my live-in chef any more, I wear out the gold on the soles of my shoes too often, please someone take this business from me, it's easy, very easy to make money.

Come and see how I live and that should make your decision to take this off my hands so much easier.

I have a bike shop, one of those shops y'all complain so bitterly about, one of those shops who rips people off, I live an a 2000 square meter house with 5 swimming pools and have 2 Porsche 911's and numerous Diablo's and Ferrari's.

Reason for asking was what Grumpy suggested, yes let's get rid of the middle man, no problem.

Let's close all retail down and go wholesale, we will all be much happier and pay cheaper prices not just in this hobby, but any and every hobby, sport or interest available to man.

Sounds like you are a small independent operator trying to put food to mouth as well Crack, well I won't be using you, the bigger corporates are cheaper and can do the job faster and I actually don't care if your quality is better.

I come from engineering where I was earning a livable wage, I am now in retail and I fess up, I am tired of milking the general public, I can't stand the sight of my live-in chef any more, I wear out the gold on the soles of my shoes too often, please someone take this business from me, it's easy, very easy to make money.

Come and see how I live and that should make your decision to take this off my hands so much easier.

Hey Boris, I saw those shoes you were wearing yesterday ......... I want me some of them. Just not sure I can afford them.

Now why go and add some sense to this discussion? You have spoiled a righteous rant from all those oppressed buyers being forced to shop overseas at online retailers. And I thought it was just a simple matter of choice .....

Im not opposed to anyone making money at all - It must just be relative - We know what things cost overseas, so why, oh why, can they not be more inline with these prices . Im sure its must be bad for your business knowing that a lot of people are going to online shops & overseas for their goods?

Aah, the mechanic set from CRC.... R55k if I'm not mistaken. Always spend my imaginary lotto money on things like that :)