price fixing hey...now what? does it actually help us?

mark ellis

So, what you'd like to see is Omnico, Pro Bikes or Dragons open retail outlets? That wouldn't do a hell of a lot for competition.

Tumbleweed they can just as well open retail outlets because the way it set up now there isn't any competition in any case. As far as I know the distributors set the Retail price in any case.

But unfortunately the only winner would be the distributor. The LBS would be out of business and the consumer would be paying exactly the same as what they were paying when they bought it from the LBS with the distributor making more profit.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Its never hard to make changes, maybe you dont want to.

2.You also appear to read a lot of info into a post which is not there and make assumptions based on a subliminal interpretation.

But, yeah, its enough now, best I leave it.

1.You really have had it quite easy in life, it appears.

2.If it appears that way then it must be that way, no subliminal interpretation, I am not the David Copperfield of post reading.

As I said, I have not complained, I am a simple man, I don't need lots in life to keep me happy, as long as I have a roof over my head and food for my family, I am rather satisfied thank you very much.

1.You really have had it quite easy in life, it appears.

2.If it appears that way then it must be that way, no subliminal interpretation, I am not the David Copperfield of post reading.

As I said, I have not complained, I am a simple man, I don't need lots in life to keep me happy, as long as I have a roof over my head and food for my family, I am rather satisfied thank you very much.

Much like me mate, much like me.

The LBS would be out of business

At least the bitching , moaning and distrust towards the LBS will then come to a grinding halt on The Hub.

At least the bitching , moaning and distrust towards the LBS will then come to a grinding halt on The Hub.

Dangle, sorry if I have missed it but where is your shop?

Much like me mate, much like me.

At least we have something perhaps two things in common (I can be very grumpy at times)

Tumbleweed they can just as well open retail outlets because the way it set up now there isn't any competition in any case. As far as I know the distributors set the Retail price in any case.

But unfortunately the only winner would be the distributor. The LBS would be out of business and the consumer would be paying exactly the same as what they were paying when they bought it from the LBS with the distributor making more profit.

What I am trying to get at is the inconsistency of the arguments of those who claim they're being ripped off. The poster this was in response to has previously suggested that we should do away with agents and the LBSes import directly from the manufacturer, yet now suggests the manufacturer be the retailer too. Neither model will do anything to increase competition.

If the distributors set the retail price, explain to me the huge markup on stuff at big stores like Cajee's, which is probably amongst the biggest and most powerful (bike shop) buyers in the local market. RRP isn't set in stone. If it was, you wouldn't be able to ask for the discount that Crack was talking about earlier.

What I am trying to get at is the inconsistency of the arguments of those who claim they're being ripped off. The poster this was in response to has previously suggested that we should do away with agents and the LBSes import directly from the manufacturer, yet now suggests the manufacturer be the retailer too. Neither model will do anything to increase competition.

If the distributors set the retail price, explain to me the huge markup on stuff at big stores like Cajee's, which is probably amongst the biggest and most powerful (bike shop) buyers in the local market. RRP isn't set in stone. If it was, you wouldn't be able to ask for the discount that Crack was talking about earlier.

Thanks for the heads up, I wont be buying from Cajees then, maybe the agents & the LBS both need to have a pau wau and see whats best for both their businesses and make sure the customer is getting the best deal at the end of day. Someone along the chain has completely forgotten why they are in the retail business. That way all will be happy :D Surley both the LBS and the agents will be loosing a lot of money & business because people are doing their shopping online locally or overseas.

Thanks for the heads up, I wont be buying from Cajees then, maybe the agents & the LBS both need to have a pau wau and see whats best for both their businesses and make sure the customer is getting the best deal at the end of day. Someone along the chain has completely forgotten why they are in the retail business. That way all will be happy :D Surley both the LBS and the agents will be loosing a lot of money & business because people are doing their shopping online locally or overseas.

Er, the last time that happened, well…

you got scolded by andrew...

Nope, it was Bob who got a snottie from Andrew…but that wasn't about this. Andrew was actually very civil in his dealings with me during the whole thing.

Nope, it was Bob who got a snottie from Andrew…but that wasn't about this. Andrew was actually very civil in his dealings with me during the whole thing.

speaking of, where is bob? havent seen him around in ages.

Yeah - im just pulling your leg - you said andrew handled it very well.

speaking of, where is bob? havent seen him around in ages.

Dunno, I got a weird phone call from him out of the blue a while back asking about the imminent death of Madiba. Other than that he was spotted driving a Russian tin can over Breedtsnek…:huh: