price fixing hey...now what? does it actually help us?

mark ellis

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so Gillie, u saying you wearing a tinfoilhat cos the price fixing is all BS (<--- lulz and prizes for those who saw what i did there :P ) and it's a government conspiracy to defraud honest hardworking distributors and bike sellers?

I was tlod by my LBS that in no undcertain terms will the 2010 models come down in price even though the 2011 model is the same price and way better specked - How does that work? It makes no sense, just shows how the prices were fixed or there is colluding going on. :angry: I bet they are still fixing the prices -We need an agent or shop to start palying the game, lower prices all aroud will inevatabily mean more sales. :)

I was tlod by my LBS that in no undcertain terms will the 2010 models come down in price even though the 2011 model is the same price and way better specked - How does that work? It makes no sense, just shows how the prices were fixed or there is colluding going on. :angry: I bet they are still fixing the prices -We need an agent or shop to start palying the game, lower prices all aroud will inevatabily mean more sales. :)

Better exchange rate?

Better exchange rate?

How much better do you want it then R7.11/$1. Last week the £ was below R11. And if you take into account that when we personally import stuff we pay the same exchange rate and stuff is still much cheaper.

so when are we going to toyi toyi outside cyclelab?

Im in, always wanted to do a toti toyi, waving seatposts and cranksets :lol:

I was heavily involved in kitesurfing and at the end of the season the old stock would sell for below cost... It seems like this doesnt happen in cycling. Another thing that this doesnt happen in is the iphone. Here I think there is a definitive control on it market price. When the 3g was out it sold for x, then the 3gs came out, it still went for x but the 3gs was now 2x, and the same will happen with the iphone4. I think that goes to show that if the old prices dont decrease after a new model is out, there could be some sort of price "manipulation" involved..

Just my 2cents :rolleyes:

Better exchange rate?

Yeah right, always something to blame the price fixing on - Still dont understand how they are able too afford such fancy cars, and lifestyle selling bikes . Good friends of mine in the UK own a bike shop and they dont live the lifestyle the guys here do. Someone explain that for me :huh:

Yeah right, always something to blame the price fixing on - Still dont understand how they are able too afford such fancy cars, and lifestyle selling bikes . Good friends of mine in the UK own a bike shop and they dont live the lifestyle the guys here do. Someone explain that for me :huh:

The only answer you will get to your response is "why go into a business if you're not gonna make decent living". My answer to "their" answer is "drop the prices and sell more. 5 x 20% profit is better then 3 x 30% profit".

No, the exchange rate has to do with how the better-specced bikes can come in cheaper from year to year. 2008 was pricey for bikes, 2009 saw a big decline in price, and 2010 is continuing that trend.

How many bike shop owners do you know here? I know quite a lot, and the majority don't "live the lifestyle".

The only answer you will get to your response is "why go into a business if you're not gonna make decent living". My answer to "their" answer is "drop the prices and sell more. 5 x 20% profit is better then 3 x 30% profit".

Thats the problem, all LBS stores of lost sight of why the run/own bicycle shops. Im not saying they cant have decent salaries or earn a decent living etc, but they still charge over the top. It starts with the agents bringing the bikes/parts in. That makes sense to anyone but these bike shop owners - Yet they still take the piss - They can kiss my butt for any more of my money. I wont even take my bikes to them for a service - They rip you off for everything.

Funny how NOT one bike shop owner/agent will step forward and justify the prices they charge. I mean how does a price drop from R5600 to R5000 in a the space of 10 mins. Just cause I asked and said another shop was doing the same bike for R5100 :huh:

No, the exchange rate has to do with how the better-specced bikes can come in cheaper from year to year. 2008 was pricey for bikes, 2009 saw a big decline in price, and 2010 is continuing that trend.

How many bike shop owners do you know here? I know quite a lot, and the majority don't "live the lifestyle".

What differance does it make where you live? I should be the same all over the world - comparitive salaries vs cost of living. Yet I was ablt to get everything cheaper while living in the UK. :huh:

What differance does it make where you live? I should be the same all over the world - comparitive salaries vs cost of living. Yet I was ablt to get everything cheaper while living in the UK. :huh:

You seem to be losing your own train of thought here. Your question was about how the bikes can be better-specced for cheaper. The rand is stronger now. That's why prices have come down locally. In many instances the RRPs here compare favourably with overseas RRPs.

Your gripe has more to do with a dealer refusing you a discount than the supplier. Many shops have discounted 2010 (and older models) now that 2011 stock is coming in. I doubt the dealer took his stock on consignment - and even if he did - the discount he is willing to offer (or not) has nothing to do with the supplier. I know of suppliers who have sold their brands to shops at discount to clear stock.

You seem to be losing your own train of thought here. Your question was about how the bikes can be better-specced for cheaper. The rand is stronger now. That's why prices have come down locally. In many instances the RRPs here compare favourably with overseas RRPs.

Your gripe has more to do with a dealer refusing you a discount than the supplier. Many shops have discounted 2010 (and older models) now that 2011 stock is coming in. I doubt the dealer took his stock on consignment - and even if he did - the discount he is willing to offer (or not) has nothing to do with the supplier. I know of suppliers who have sold their brands to shops at discount to clear stock.

It was in response to your comment about local bike shop owners. ;)

Well, I gave up on the local market.

I learnt how to do my own basic services, and only don't service forks because to buy the full amount of the different oils would last like 3 years.

Amazingly enough, the MSRP, virtually translates to 66 % to 70 % of the SA prices, and thats through a LBS.CRC and co are cheaper still.

The issue is not that of one body ripping anybody off, its the simple trend of too many steps in the process, too many 20 % plus vat story. Hence why us simple men in the street cannot do anything here.

Your LBS is trying to make a living... some do it better than others, some may not do it with the best moral fibre but thats up to us, to make sure the right guys survive. I have a theory, if the guy %$#@s your bike for you at a service, he should at least do it with a smile...and then they should accept responsibility and not fall back on their disclaimer....

Just my 2c...

Well, I gave up on the local market.

I learnt how to do my own basic services, and only don't service forks because to buy the full amount of the different oils would last like 3 years.

Amazingly enough, the MSRP, virtually translates to 66 % to 70 % of the SA prices, and thats through a LBS.CRC and co are cheaper still.

The issue is not that of one body ripping anybody off, its the simple trend of too many steps in the process, too many 20 % plus vat story. Hence why us simple men in the street cannot do anything here.

Your LBS is trying to make a living... some do it better than others, some may not do it with the best moral fibre but thats up to us, to make sure the right guys survive. I have a theory, if the guy %$#@s your bike for you at a service, he should at least do it with a smile...and then they should accept responsibility and not fall back on their disclaimer....

Just my 2c...

Ive just got a grand off & 15% off a helmet on a brand new 2011 bike - Go figure - and the wife may just get even more off from another shop - Now whats that telling me - Their margins are huge for discounts