What would be an upgrade to my Louise Magura brakes?

MJ the Expat

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't go wrong with Formula.

The R1 is great, then One's the best and the RX also very good (and VERY affordable).

JB - I thought you said all brakes are adequate unless setup wrong, so he could not possibly be shoving crap towards his wife's bike?

:lol: :lol:

MJ, perhaps I should have taken this up with you in a PM, it would have been kinder. I apologise.

Point is, I find the trend of men upgrading their equipment and putting the lower-rated stuff on their women's bikes abhorrent. Why not upgrade your wife's bike first, was perhaps my point. Women have less muscle mass than us, give them the lighter stuff, etc etc etc.

I am sure you love her but give some thought to what it sounds like when you say the junk goes to her bike.

Mysoginism is sometimes very subtle and we don't even know we do it.

My wife gets my hand-me-downs too...

She currently has Shimano XTR shifters and XT throughout the rest, Fox F100RL fork and Formula RX brakes. Also has a brand new set of Roval wheels and Specialized Renegade tires.

Unfortunately for her she is now getting my old Sram X0 shifters and X0 rear derailer too. I think my downgrades have save her about 3kg on her bike so far...

oh and she hasn't ridden it in over a year.

I don't see it as giving her my old crap, she is getting quality stuff that is better than what she had, plus she hardly rides her bike so it's actually better for me as all I need to do is swap the frame if need be and I have a decent quality spare bike!

@Tarmac-GSTR - with Tarmac-JNR around, her bike wont be getting dirty for a while...

Let me set the record straight here:

I bought my wife a Merida XC500D in October of 2008. Neither of us were sure weither she is going to follow through with the MTB thing...I thought the Merida was a good buy and had a lot of potential for upgrades.

So it started out with:

Rock Shox Dart2 (Well over 2.0kg)

Octalink 10ton BB

Deore Cassette

HG53 9spd chain

So I replaced the above with:

Fox 32 80mm front fork from my GT. I had it serviced and checked BEFORE it went onto her bike. Saved her well over 1kg in weight.

SLX Crankset with bb (brand new) - she did not like the colour of the XT!

XT Cassette (brand new)

HG93 9spd chain

She is getting my Ritchey Pro bar and seatpost this weekend - I will have it resprayed to match her bike!

So how is this not upgrading her bike?

I decided to get her the SLX disc brakes from CWC and keep my Maguras.

So what are you doing with the K@K Strokers ... if you sell them let me know as I am looking for really cheap disc brake (Well only the front, but if I need to buy a set then so be it) and considering they are so K@K you can't expect much for them ... you might even want to just give them away due to their poor performance.

Thanks in Advance

Hairy

Nothing wrong with hand me downs, it's not chauvinistic at all.

Todays women are more independent and there is also more of a mutual respect between partners.

If she didn't want your "hand me downs" she would have told you to bugger off and sell it on The Hub.

Sounds to me like you love your woman MJ. well done.

Do you have kids ?

Some people are of the impression that it's wrong to populate the earth, as it's already full, now that I have a problem with.

What about legacy's and bloodlines, not to talk of the strong bond and the love between parent and child.

Blikskottel, but this thread has been terribly derailed.

Just to touch base, I love the Elixirs, heavy or not, I can't understand this obsession with weight.

@Tarmac-GSTR - with Tarmac-JNR around, her bike wont be getting dirty for a while...

Exactly why I'm looking at a frame to rebuild to have a spare bike... just so my 29er doesnt have to get all dirty!

She also have a very nice road bike that would be nice to train on...hmmmm

PS in accordance with the thread... the strokers can actually be very good brakes, I had some and they were impressively powerful, not a whole lot of modulation, but good power. why does everyone think they suck?

Maybe it's a pad/rotor problem?

What I do have a problem with is when guys skimp on safety gear on their wife.

I see guys buy motorcycles then buy a 5K helmet for themselves, then a 1K helmet for the wife (because she doesn't do along that often)

You cannot choose when that helmet will need to do it's job. and if you survive and she doesn't because of a quality issue, how will that 4K fell in your pocket?

JB in this case you are totally correct.

MJ - you are already doing the right thing, whether you bough her upgrades 2nd hand or they came off your bike makes no difference - if it was better than what she had then it's all good!

What I do have a problem with is when guys skimp on safety gear on their wife.

Oh yes, this I agree with 100 %

Nou ja, die een het soos al die ander ontaard...

Maar anyway, nou net die SLX brake set by CWC bestel. I'll slap it on as soon as I get it.

Nou ja, die een het soos al die ander ontaard...

Maar anyway, nou net die SLX brake set by CWC bestel. I'll slap it on as soon as I get it.

Soooo ... what are you doing with K@K old brakes?

Quick hijack, Im a roadie so I dont know much about mtb parts.

I ride a XT equiped MTB. If I change the rotors,can I replace them with something like Alligators or Avid rotors?