R2500 for an XT cassette?

MtbO

He told me that I needed a new cassette. I asked how much they were and he said I shouldn't go for the XT one because it is really expensive (i.e. R2500) but I should rather go for the SLX one which is R550. This didn't really make sense at all. The chain was even double the price that I could get it from somewhere else (R550 for an XT chain). Even if it was the crankset, their price for the chain is really expensive.

It really didn't make sense that it was the crankset though because he had just looked at my bike and recommended the part, it wasn't as if I was asking for it and he didn't know what it was.

In Short, bud you're confused.

An XT chain there cost me less than 500 as well.

Your story just doesn't add up

Guest Big H

Go and look at my posting I made here. Why should you support local bike shops except ones like Chris Willemse and others emerging if things like this happens. Yes...... by all means go to the shops, make use of them to investigate what you must order and then order from the Internet shops.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/78379-why-the-hell-are-break-pads-so-expensive/page__pid__1105698#entry1105698

ja, must be a mistake, the other day I saw a stem at cyclelab which was very expensive, I queried it with the guy at the til and he confirmed it was a mistake and he advised me the correct price - mistakes do happen......but common sense says an XT cassette can't cost that much, they nust have been thinking of a XX casette.......

Seker een van daai 'special edition' een van 'n miljoen. Gemaak van strontium. Dit is 'n bykans onmoontlike prys.

Guest Big H

Seker een van daai 'special edition' een van 'n miljoen. Gemaak van strontium. Dit is 'n bykans onmoontlike prys.

STRONT - ium...... goeie woordkeuse!!!!!!

Just on the topic of the whole price-fixing scandal, I went to a bike shop today and need to replace my cassette. I asked how much they were and for an XT cassette they quoted R2500. Now I thought that this was a little ridiculous seeing as though I had looked at CWC a few times before. There are two bike shops in my area, and so I booked my bike in at the (expensive) one just to have the gear cables changed. I went to the other shop and the cassette was 4 times cheaper. Now that is utterly ridiculous. How can bike shops want to fool people like that? That profit margin is huge, even with the argument that they need to support themselves.

In conclusion, I will not support Tony Impey any longer. I do not believe in extortion.

The prices quoted is not the correct price for a XT cassette.Perhaps a mistake was made when you inquired about the price.Give Tony the benefit of the doubt and give him another call,.

sm

Dude , been supporting this shop for years and spent many hours looking at prices all over and Tony is very competitive, there is something wrong. Tony is easy to approch , go see him and have a chat , they not the type to rip people off, there shop is there family's pride and joy . something does not add up . there is no way thats the price off a cassette there unless it includes chain , labour , cables , chainrings maybe.

Go see him , and clear it up.

Guest Big H

Bypass them and go and look at www.chainreactioncycles.com

I have been in there more than once and have been treated really badly. If you look like a student, they will no serve you and would rather focus on people that they think will spend money. Even though it was a mistake I do not like the people that run the shop.

I think there a few anomalies to mention here ....its not the XT cassette that is R2500 but rather the XTR. Not too disimilar to the price difference between a Durace cassette and an Ultegra one. Secondly I never realized that were 2 cycle shops in that area or is the term loosely defined?

Insofar as price fixing is concerned I openly boycott anyone who I know participates in it and I have it on very good authority that when Tony was invited to the unholy FritzLab "get together" he told them to p1ss off!