FSA BB Problem

sevenstars

Hey mountain bikers,

Has anyone had a problem with an FSA external BB not lasting very long?

I've had an FSA Carbon Team Issue crankset on my MTB for 6 months, and after about 35 rides, the drive-side bearing is shot!

The FSA bbs aren't renowned for there reliability,

As far as I know FSA cranks are shimano compatible, replace it with something better like a hope, chris king or even a decent shimano bb.

Fortunately now Rush sports does do replacement bearings for Shimano BB's so when the new Shimano eventually goes the bearings can be replaced, but still FSA BB's aren't that great.

Its very difficult to get affordable BB's for FSA cranks, not all Shimano one work but Aerozine Bb work perfectly, just make sure you take the ceramic Aerozine option they are not that expensive

I have the FSA MegaExo BB with my Afterburners and lasted about 1 1/2 years of punishment. Not sure if that's the standard but got a replacement from CRC as locally I found one for R700.00 as there was not other option. Never tried it with other BB's to be honest - wasn;t sure about the compatability

I've been servicing and replacing my FSA BB for the last 3 years with 6805 bearings that you can buy at bearing man for about R40 ea. Have to rebuild about every 8 months if you ride quite a bit.

The only trick is to remove the plastic bushes that fits into the bearings without breaking it. The bushes takes up the 1mm diameter difference between the 26mm internal dia of the 6805 bearing and the crank shaft of 25mm dia. The bush is also there to protect the crank shaft from damage when a bearing seizes.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a Shimano Deore BB from my LBS and it fits perfectly. Quite a tight fit, but atleast there's no movement in the BB.

And reasonably priced too, with Shimano peace of mind.

I´ve seen numerous problems with FSA bearings from hubbers, my experience is different:

In Brazil (where I currently reside) we are a bunch of people riding FSA with no problems whatsoever. I have been using the ceramic versions for 2 years. Believe me Brazil is more muddy than SA!

FSA on an MTB is a no no!

The Design is an issue and as the BB starts to weat it get play then the crank becomes loose and eventuall the splines get worn and no matter what happens. Even a New BB dies in a matter of a few 100km.

The main problem as I see it is the crank gets fastemd by pulling the two halves together and the BB is the item that keeps the tension. as the BB wears and gets a bit of play on it it starts to work loose.

And the two sides of the BB are different diamiters so cannot be used with Shimano or other cranks.

I went through 3 cranksets and many many BB's. changed to shimano and all is well.

I have done about 5 000km on one set of bearings.I service the BB twice a year. I recently replaced both bearings and the BB is going strong. The only issue I had was the crank bolt working loose which was solved with a few drops of Loctite and a torque wrench.