ITB Release surgery

Hey CaneRat how things going?

What kinda distances are you able to do? Hows it feeling? How many weeks since your op?

Frosty - havnt been able to put a decent distance ride in yet as i only started riding on sunday again - have gone for a ride every evening this week after work (to the block house and back from claremont, which is a +-10k climb and then back down again) Planning a nice long ride this weekend in elgin or stellenbosch.

On tuesday it was 3 weeks since my surgery - legs are feeling good, have lost a bit of strength and fitness but should be able to get it back fast enough, planning on doing the karoo to coast in 3.5 weeks time.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Subsequent to my last post I decided to go and see an orthopod who happens to specialize in sports trauma.

It seems that my ITB like pain is being caused by a cyst or ganglion around my fibular head. Waiting for the result of the MRI scan before deciding on what to do.

Most likely will require an operation to remove it resulting in +/- 4 to 6 weeks of no or only very light training.

Subsequent to my last post I decided to go and see an orthopod who happens to specialize in sports trauma.

It seems that my ITB like pain is being caused by a cyst or ganglion around my fibular head. Waiting for the result of the MRI scan before deciding on what to do.

Most likely will require an operation to remove it resulting in +/- 4 to 6 weeks of no or only very light training.

Ouch..... how does that happen?? training? good luck!

Apparently the exact causes of a ganglion are unknown, it could be a result of an injury or just one of those things. Basicaly it is a build of fluid beneath the skin that can build up and become jelly like. Sometimes they go unnoticed or they can irritate tendons or nerves close by. This one of mine just happens to irritate the tendon on the fibular head which is just below where the ITB tendon attaches hence me confusing it with ITB.

Speak to the physio, they can tell you the cause:

Bilateral = overuse

Unilateral = muscle imbalance

worse on one side than other = overuse

I have had a few problems since I did Swazi 3 weeks ago. Should be running again in another 10 days.

And just so you know, ganglion = mass of nerve cell bodies.

And the ITB is not a muscle, it's the kind of aponeurosis where the tendon passes.

Hey CaneRat

Glad to hear everything went smooth, did your doc advise you that you may have clicking in your knee for a few months ? Did you experience anything different afterwards ? I'm probably going for release surgery on Friday, having ITB in your left leg doesn't help the healing process much when you have to drive around every day ! :)

Who was your doc and where did you go ?

Thanks for the updates !

Hey CaneRat

Glad to hear everything went smooth, did your doc advise you that you may have clicking in your knee for a few months ? Did you experience anything different afterwards ? I'm probably going for release surgery on Friday, having ITB in your left leg doesn't help the healing process much when you have to drive around every day ! :)

Who was your doc and where did you go ?

Thanks for the updates !

Hi Arkadion

He never mentiond anything about a clicking noise, and havnt heard anything clicking yet :) nothing strange and nothing different experienced either

My doctor is Lieth Stewart at claremont life hospital (cape town) - for a second oppinion u can also see Jeroen Swart at sports science institute (also knows what he's talking about)

luckily i drive an automatic :) but even then, swtiching from the accelerator to the brake caused problems! - i hated traffic :)

Went riding in jonkershoek (stellenbosch) on saturday morning, apart from my hands almost freezing to my handlebar i felt great! we only did arround 30ks (think due to the rain and cold) and also did 38ks in tokai on sunday.

I havnt started running yet - not in any hurry ;) im rather going to work on glute strenght etc before i start running again!

also had ITB, tried everything, many diffeent physio bills.. NSAIDS etc..

ultimately sufficient rest & stretching solved it.. glad i didnt go "the knife" way!

(but i endured it for 5months! )

One thing that has worked for me and others that I know is an exercise called Walts ITB Special - easy to do, you can do it practically anywhere and it sorted me out in about a week - also doesn't cost you a thing :) Good luck

Sweet, thanks Cane Rat, enjoy Karoo to Coast!

Think I'm going to be under the knife soon, need to be ready for the half iron in EL. Working hard at improving the imbalence for now.

Let us know how it goes, also how yur running goes.

Thanks

Yeah some might think that a weekend warrior like myself going for the knife after battling with ITB for 2 months + might be a bit extreme but they say there are no reoccurrences of ITB after the snip, which is handy when you're planning on doing 4 day tours or anything hectic ! :)

I'm in Joburg myself, going with Dr Mike Barrow at Sunninghill for the surgery, I'll let everyone know how it goes *gulp*

Well, surgery is over and done, it felt great once I started standing, the doc (Mike Barrow) at Sunninghill said it went perfect, and I had no problem walking or using stairs. Day 2 It's pretty stiff but was to be expected ! I'll let everyone know how I feel by next weekend and if I manage to hop on my bike by then :)

Well, surgery is over and done, it felt great once I started standing, the doc (Mike Barrow) at Sunninghill said it went perfect, and I had no problem walking or using stairs. Day 2 It's pretty stiff but was to be expected ! I'll let everyone know how I feel by next weekend and if I manage to hop on my bike by then :)

very interesting

did medical aid cover the procedure? do you have a breakdown of the costs involved?

Hey Fandacious

Yeah it appears to be covered completely by medical, I'm on Discovery Classic Comprehensive.

And then I had to pay in R18 for the myprodol which I never used :P

It's day 3 and my leg is still stiff but not as bad as yesterday, driving is pretty easy (Left leg and I drive a manual :) )

Hey Arkadion, good to hear!! yeah its really not a bad procedure at all! all i wanted to do was take the bandages off and bend my knees! :) I went riding this weekend, my strength and fitness is definately starting to come back! really starting to get excited now! all i want to do is ride! :)