ITB Release surgery

Guest Big H

my bio kineticist diagnosed me with muscle strength inbalance, but no matter what exercises i do, i cant seem to get rid of it.

i will only try surgery as a LAST resort. perhaps its time to discuss other options with the doc

At that stage...... nust have been 1995 - 96 I think the practice was to snip the Illiotibial muscle. I was advised against it and fortunately did not have it done, although it was suggested. Interesting to read what Sean says that they nowadays do release surgery where they remove a halfmoon piece out of the muscle. Will the muscle not heal itself and everything happens again?????

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At that stage...... nust have been 1995 - 96 I think the practice was to snip the Illiotibial muscle. I was advised against it and fortunately did not have it done, although it was suggested. Interesting to read what Sean says that they nowadays do release surgery where they remove a halfmoon piece out of the muscle. Will the muscle not heal itself and everything happens again?????

i've heard that they used to snip the ITB - the half moon method sounds "safer" to me. apparently snipping the ITB can have some quite serious side effects

Why is it sounding that reconditioning does not work? I have also been advised on strength conditioning which after 1 year of Pilates, 3 times a week is obviously not working. I am very against a procedure to which there is no "undo" procedure. Especially since there is always the chance that the procedure may not work and then what does one do?

I went through numerous visits to the orthopedic and at two of those consults I received cortisone injections in to the ITB above and below the knee; where the ITB attaches to the shin and where it has friction over the knee. So I guess all that is left is the procedure ....

Why is it sounding that reconditioning does not work? I have also been advised on strength conditioning which after 1 year of Pilates, 3 times a week is obviously not working. I am very against a procedure to which there is no "undo" procedure. Especially since there is always the chance that the procedure may not work and then what does one do?

I went through numerous visits to the orthopedic and at two of those consults I received cortisone injections in to the ITB above and below the knee; where the ITB attaches to the shin and where it has friction over the knee. So I guess all that is left is the procedure ....

I also had the cotisone injections in the beginning - but that was just because i wanted to race. Its just a short term solution to reduce the inflamation and does not fix the problem which causes the inflamation. As said above the surgery is very minor - i went in to Hospital on tuesday afternoon - was in surgery for no longer than 20 minutes and after waiking up from the general anaesthetic (which is probably the most "complicated" part of the surgery) i walked out the hospital (slightly straight legged) and went out for dinner :)

So yes i went for ITB release surgery on tuesday (03/08/2010) on both my legs.

My surgeon (who i have huge confidence in and is a sportsman himself) says he wants me to start cycling in 10 days time and gentle jogging in 21 days.

If anyone is interested - i will let you know how my recovery is going, or if anyone has had the surgery - please let me know your results.

Hi CaneRat, if you don't mind me asking, who is your surgeon? My wife been struggling for 3 years now with ITB and nothing seems to help. We've been considering the ITB release. We're in PE and there's no-one here I trust to operate on her, so have been contemplating bringing her up to CT to see someone.

What exactly is the cause of ITB?

and

How to you treat it? (before it gets to the point of surgery) Does stretching, strengthening and physio not work?

What exactly is the cause of ITB?

and

How to you treat it? (before it gets to the point of surgery) Does stretching, strengthening and physio not work?

some say it's training too hard too fast - especially running.

It can be over-training related and some say that it can also be the result of a muscle imbalance.

Hi guys sorry for delayed response, I am 24 years old, and my itb problems definately started from doing to much to fast with my running, i never had the problem before while just cycling - but eventually i couldnt even cycle further than 25 to 30 ks depending on difficulty. Me-rida - the stretching, strengthening etc didnt seem to help at all

Also I went for a ride last night! just arround the neighborhood but felt great :) had the stitches out this morning. Also got a more detailed explanation of what they did -

I was INCORRECT in saying they cut a Z into the itb - If u can imagine a square piece of rubber stretched tightly between ur two hands - they make tiny little cuts (a few centimetres appart) in areas where the itb is tight to mesh it out and release the tension - not too close together which would result in a hole.

the best knee surgeon in SA : Glen Vardi in Rosebank !!!

I have not seen Glen for 30 years, we were in Matric together!

They cut a half-moon out of your itb, which loosens it. It's a very minor op and full recovery is quick - about 3-4 weeks for running, less for cycling. I had my left itb released in 1994 and have never had a problem since. The right one is still a bit tight but I stretch it regularly. I also don't run insane distances like I used to back in the 90s.

itb friction syndrome is incredibly painful. Usually hits after the amount of exercise each time (can differ for cycling and running). Mine used to hit 18 minutes into every run. Then I cried as I walked slowly home. If you've tried everything else and it hasn't worked, then go for the op. It's next to your knee, but it's not your actual knee they operate on, so isn't nearly as scary as it sounds...

SB - Good feedback thanks

I'm wondering what the long term results of the "snip" are?

Has anyone had a negative result or other physical issues as a result of the operation?

I've got a problem where walking produces a ITB type reaction on my right knee, cycling or running does not produce the pain. I would like to get the thing fixed but dont want to create other problems which will affect cycling / running negatively afterwards.

Appreciate to hear from hubbers who have had the operation and the results thereof.

Had a nice chilled ride to the block house last night! legs feel great :) have lost some fitness but was great to be out there!

Hey CaneRat how things going?

What kinda distances are you able to do? Hows it feeling? How many weeks since your op?