No serial, no sale?

JarradVZ

Compulsory serial numbers in ads  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Make it compulsory?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

"He who says, does." Tim Henman volunteers! This is part of his contribution to the "Lead SA" campaign.

Hubbers, he's going to collect your serial numbers from you, and enter them in the database because this is an issue he feels strongly about. Please PM your serial numbers through to him now, otherwise he's going to have to chase it up with you later.

He'll also be checking all the For Sale ads to see that the serial number is included.

Please do not buy anything unless you've checked with Mr Henman first. Your co-operation is appreciated.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole point of our beloved tennis star is to make the sale of bikes more legitimate on the Hub.

As mentioned, I worked in the second hand trade as a buyer and from experience the more effort you make in keeping the process of buying/selling goods legitimate the less likely you are to attract the criminal elements as your closing a revenue channel for them.

Correct, but is this happening?

By including the number it becomes a natural step in purchasing a used frame instead of something that you can do if you feel like it.

Can't be too busy at work at the moment ?

There are many buyers but only a handful of serious buyer.

There is no natural step here except for the forum rules which most peeps don't give a **** about.

*****Bike for sale ...........blah blah blah........serial number 12fu*******

Hubber:

"Why are the bar ends pointing down"

If someone is serious about a bike they will pm. simple as that.

Okay LeTurbo

Your sarcasm is amazing! Did you take lessons or are you naturally an A-grade ****? Currently the votes disagree with you. We'll wait and see then. If my small attempt to make the Hub a safer platform to trade on upsets you, I do apologise.

You've had your say, now kindly go away.

I'd rather vote for full disclosure of the buyers & sellers details. None of this hiding behind pseudonyms etc.

Rather focus effort on "registering" the details of buyers and selelrs on The HUB...that way one can always (via Admin) trace the transaction to some extent.

In the end of the day....other avenues such a gumtree etc will be used to pawn stolen stuff!!

Ahhh I do love the hub - nothing like someone wanting to improve matters to provide a target for the nay sayers.

The only real problem I see is who is going to police the database? The obvious answer would be the government but then it wold just turn into the same nightmare that is the car and property registration industry (not to mention government would find yet another way of taxing us).

Alas I think this idea will always be a pipe dream - awesome idea but practically unworkable. Most people (including me) would not pay to join a database. There is no drive at the moment - I don't need serial number autorisation to sell my bike and so few bikes get recovered that the chance of actually using the "pay per use" database is negligable.

The best thing about this thread is finding out that Timmy has a Niner. Welcome to the best mtb club in the world :D

Which one did you get? RIP, JET or AIR?

Or *gasp" - a SIR???

Edited by Eldron

Okay LeTurbo

Your sarcasm is amazing! Did you take lessons or are you naturally an A-grade ****? Currently the votes disagree with you. We'll wait and see then. If my small attempt to make the Hub a safer platform to trade on upsets you, I do apologise.

Thanks for the compliments, Tim - yes, it's all natural, though I'll admit to having picked up some tips from many of your previous threads.

Don't worry, I'm not upset at all! Just having a good chuckle; I enjoy a Wednesday laugh as a prelude to the Friday joke.

Of course, you're right in this respect: I must go away. I have some work to do before I flog some bikes on e-Bay (you can really charge overseas for some of these local bikes, and of course there's even more profit if you sell the items seperately). Try it sometime, many other people do (you could even set up your own website if you use the right SEOs (Search Engine Options). Wink, wink, a word to the wise!

Okay LeTurbo

Tim, why all this fuss? Is it really all that necassary. Thats between the buyer and the seller. I'm sure you made your point and peeps will from now on be more careful when buying bikes or frames.

The frame is not stolen, but the money I bought it with might have been...

I do not have the serial numbers of the notes I used to paid for it :lol:

No, spelling "ridiculous" like this: "rediculous" is ridiculous.

Sorry..........I knew the spelling looked wrong, but my work internet limits The Hub into 10 minute sessions and my 10 minute session was almost up. I didn't have time to check on the correct spelling.

I assumed that most people would know exactly what I was talking about.

The best thing about this thread is finding out that Timmy has a Niner. Welcome to the best mtb club in the world :D

Which one did you get? RIP, JET or AIR?

Or *gasp" - a SIR???

If you read the other thread you will see you tjop.

It's the Air 9.

Eldron, mail me please, want to send you the pic I took at the XC.

Sorry..........I knew the spelling looked wrong, but my work internet limits The Hub into 10 minute sessions and my 10 minute session was almost up. I didn't have time to check on the correct spelling.

I assumed that most people would know exactly what I was talking about.

I think Henman is actually Jagwil.

Serial numbers on any classifieds ? PFFFT, simply rEdiculous.

Welcome to the Niner club Henman.

Yeah, ok conspiracy man.

I'm also really sorry about the aliens who landed in your back garden and anal-probed you.

Hey Timmy, relax a bit. Just because someone spots what is to him/her a possible snag in your marvelous idea you have to go and get all shirty about it? Not cool.

Thanks for the compliments, Tim - yes, it's all natural, though I'll admit to having picked up some tips from many of your previous threads.

Don't worry, I'm not upset at all! Just having a good chuckle; I enjoy a Wednesday laugh as a prelude to the Friday joke.

Of course, you're right in this respect: I must go away. I have some work to do before I flog some bikes on e-Bay (you can really charge overseas for some of these local bikes, and of course there's even more profit if you sell the items seperately). Try it sometime, many other people do (you could even set up your own website if you use the right SEOs (Search Engine Options). Wink, wink, a word to the wise!

Ah LeTurbo...

And just when I was getting over my hatred of the french. I do sense a hint of that excellent sarcasm of yours even in this post. A hearty congratulations.

I suspect however that the only flogging you have done of late was on your lady-friend after a few too many pints at the local. Don't worry, I won't deny you your sport.

I'm done now. If even one Hubber is more careful when purchasing here due to reading this thread then I'll deem it a success.

I am so sorry to have upset you. Good luck with your GLIs (Genital Lice Infestations).

Wink, wink.