No serial, no sale?

JarradVZ

Compulsory serial numbers in ads  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Make it compulsory?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

Even if you publish the serial number, its useless until there is such a data base. Do the police have a record of all stolen bike serial numbers... maybe, probably not. So now some1 publishes there serial nuber, what are you going to do with it? Until everyone registers their bikes, its not going to help much.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't trust me and you think my bike is stolen, don't buy it. This is the Hub, a public forum, they are not the police. You cannot expect them to start enforcing this rule to ads placed.

People are entitled to ask for Serial numbers just like they are entitled to ask for the size, but to force people to publish the number each time they post an ad is just plain rediculous.

No, spelling "ridiculous" like this: "rediculous" is ridiculous.

I've been trading online for over 10 years...

Serial numbers are NEVER displayed in online adds - simply because of fraud implications.

I deal in quite an amount of vintage musical instrument mouthpieces on eBay for instance, and serial numbers are ALWAYS displayed as SN12345678XXXX. Or 12345*****

I would not display my bike's serial number anywhere on the internet when selling, not even here.

Again, it's not about trust godamnit!

There is a central database but it just isn't being utilized. The R84 might be a deterrant. But by forcing a mindset change people will begin to think about serial numbers before coughing up their cash.

If you have been responsible and registered your frame on purchase then there is absolutely no reason not to publish your serial number. On buying a 2nd hand frame, get the registration details, make the changes, or at least get the ID of the seller and keep your bank statements.

I bought a new frame yesterday, it came with a postcard that needs to be completed (including serial) and sent back to Niner. This is exactly what I'm going to do (they even throw in a free water bottle for my effort). Then if anyone claims my frame is stolen, I have proof on the Niner database.

You can scream & shout all you want!! At the end of the day.....It is ADMIN that will have to enforce it.

Putting a serial number on site where anybody can just copy it is not a good idea. then you can use it to register a stolen bike. Why do you think you never see car serial number or number plates on a website.

If you are concerned, and I do understand its not all tin foil hat theories, then sensitise your serial. Perhaps that might should be the approach.

ie

Instead of 12345-123-123456

Rather post as: 12345-123-12**** or something similar.

Its enough info for a legitimate buyer and seller.

If you are concerned, and I do understand its not all tin foil hat theories, then sensitise your serial. Perhaps that might should be the approach.

ie

Instead of 12345-123-123456

Rather post as: 12345-123-12**** or something similar.

Its enough info for a legitimate buyer and seller.

Brunsdon - that's the spirit. I dig you. But not in that sort of way.

Let's do it - I am not convinced most bikes head north - our market is larger than all our immediate neighbours combined

Let's do it - I am not convinced most bikes head north - our market is larger than all our immediate neighbours combined

And so the lynch mob mobilises and gathers strength.

Okay, so now the number or half of the number is displayed. What will the potenial buyer do with it? He can not look it up as it is not complete. Does he know with what numbers sequence certain ranges start? I can just suck a number out of my thumb and no one will be any wiser.

And in the end of the day a simple pm. or phone call between the SERIOIUS buyer and the seller should suffice and then the serial number can be given.

I'm still all for the full number being displayed. But I suppose if some are censored it would be the buyer's responsibility to ensure they check up on the full sequence before purchasing. It would take a while for the database to build up but we have to start somewhere.

And in the end of the day a simple pm. or phone call between the SERIOIUS buyer and the seller should suffice and then the serial number can be given.

Correct, but is this happening?

By including the number it becomes a natural step in purchasing a used frame instead of something that you can do if you feel like it.