calorie versus Calorie vs kJ vs kcal

Guys (and girls),

I am soooooo confused....

I have my Garmin Edge which shows how many calories I burn per ride....

On the other hand I have my energy drink which shoes how many kcal there is per scoop....

My diet indicates that I should consume approx 7,500 kJ per day....

And now I also see that there is a difference between calories and Calories....(the capital letter being the differentiation)...

I just wanna loose some weight.....

HELP???!!!! :blink: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

1kcal = about 4kJ

A lot of people/lables talk about calories, but it's actually kcal.

You can always just use the 1:4 conversion between a calorie and a kJ

1kcal = about 4kJ

A lot of people/lables talk about calories, but it's actually kcal.

You can always just use the 1:4 conversion between a calorie and a kJ

1kcal = 4,2kJ to be exact... :)

Be careful of using the Garmin version of the calorie calculation. Experience and comparison have shown me that it is about as accurate as a plastic compass.

I see on the web a couple of other folks have found the same:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=10157

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/edge-705-gps-calorie-counter-accuracy

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-450766.html

To loose 1 kg of fat, you need to have a Calorie deficit of around 7700 kCal or 32340 kJ . Do a Google search, but an average office working male consume about 1800 kCal or 7560 kJ daily. If you have different lifestyle, working environment, body type, etc your needs will be less or more. Count the Calories of what you eat, subtract (what you exercise + normal daily needs) and determine your daily Calorie deficit or perhaps excess. Divide in the 1kg of Fat Calorie value and see how many days its gonna take you to lose 1 kg. Eat less, exercise more, until you have your ideal body weight.

The problem is that a calorie deficit just makes you hungry and then you eat more and then you need to exercise more which makes you hungry then you eat more and then you exercise more .....Damn it this doesn't work :blink:

The problem is that a calorie deficit just makes you hungry and then you eat more and then you need to exercise more which makes you hungry then you eat more and then you exercise more .....Damn it this doesn't work :blink:

Yes, that very true. That is why a lot of people don't lose weight by exercising, or at least, don't keep the initial weight loss. The body adapts though if you keep on exercising and overcomes the initial "shock" reaction. Stuff yourself with fat light foods like salads, fruits, vegetables, high fibre, etc. to make you feel like you have eaten more.

i once heard on 3talk from a personal trainer that when you eat you will ONLY burn that fat AFTER 72 hours?? :( :(

i once heard on 3talk from a personal trainer that when you eat you will ONLY burn that fat AFTER 72 hours?? :( :(

Hold a burning match to your <fill fat body area in here> and burn fat immediately.

Seriously, agree with topwine, the body is a complex machine. Make small changes to your diet and measure once a week. Log these numbers and react to what you want to accomplish. Eat wholesome, natural foods and lots of fruit/veggies. Cut back a little on the starches, alcohol, sugary drinks. Do not feel too bad if you cheat once in awhile; one big fatty/starchy meal will not make you any more fat than one small lean meal will make you lose fat; it is about averaging your food intake. And you have to do a bit of low intensity training as well, actually quite a bit, > 2-3 hours per day. Drink lots of water. Good luck. Joost do it!

Hold a burning match to your <fill fat body area in here> and burn fat immediately.

Seriously, agree with topwine, the body is a complex machine. Make small changes to your diet and measure once a week. Log these numbers and react to what you want to accomplish. Eat wholesome, natural foods and lots of fruit/veggies. Cut back a little on the starches, alcohol, sugary drinks. Do not feel too bad if you cheat once in awhile; one big fatty/starchy meal will not make you any more fat than one small lean meal will make you lose fat; it is about averaging your food intake. And you have to do a bit of low intensity training as well, actually quite a bit, > 2-3 hours per day. Drink lots of water. Good luck. Joost do it!

oprah for your pic???? yikes! what is the story behind that??? :)

thanks, luckily i dont have a weight issue i was just wondering if what that guy said on 3talk is true :)

Guys (and girls),

I am soooooo confused....

I have my Garmin Edge which shows how many calories I burn per ride....

On the other hand I have my energy drink which shoes how many kcal there is per scoop....

My diet indicates that I should consume approx 7,500 kJ per day....

And now I also see that there is a difference between calories and Calories....(the capital letter being the differentiation)...

I just wanna loose some weight.....

HELP???!!!! :blink: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Hey Gerhard

Gaan maak 'n draai by Johanelle.

Sy sal jou kan help met alles.

Ek het gewig verloor deur die oefening en te verander na wat sy aanbeveel het om te eet.

FO

thanks, luckily i dont have a weight issue i was just wondering...

PM me a pic of yourself; I need to see the face and body of the woman without a weight issue. :)

PM me a pic of yourself; I need to see the face and body of the woman without a weight issue. :)

ha ha haaa jong my redinasie is: dit kon erger gewees het dis hoekom ek ma tevrede is met wat ek het...baie dankbaar dat ek nie saddlebags, midriff-tubes, etc het nie! :D

thanks, luckily i dont have a weight issue i was just wondering if what that guy said on 3talk is true :)

Unfortunately, you don't really need much of a qualification to call yourself a personal trainer (it's like a 6month diploma or something vs. a three year degree to be a dietician). A lot of them know about as much about proper nutrition as Julius Malema knows about engineering.