Mud Riding

Bikalot

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when i did mashatu a coupla of weeks (months) back, the other guys mocked me cos i had a huge bag with me. it held a bladder, had space for an ipod, my camera, a can of lube, cable ties, matches (waterproof), chain tool, spoke wrench, and every other tool i got out of my home workshop, four slime tubes, loads of space for bars.

then when they started having mechanicals, i could quote the seminal 80s flick boetie gaan border toe: "he who laughs last, laughs lastest"

We did Mashatu in July and carried all the sh*t in the world.

Then what?

Not one puncture,mechanical.Rediculous!!

20070828_063548_MTB_Playground_.JPG

Where's your extra deraileur hanger? 

The one I had was for a bolt through skewer, so no good for quick release...Tongue

tent? disposable braai? minibar? camp chair? fold-up axe?

[slaps forehead] I forgot the minibar! Also can be used to disinfect wounds (NOT the Amarula!)

You can all tease me about riding Mashatu, but I'm riding slickrock at Fouriesburg the weekend of the 15th, so there!

tent? disposable braai? minibar? camp chair? fold-up axe?

[slaps forehead] I forgot the minibar! Also can be used to disinfect wounds (NOT the Amarula!)

And as PAIN KILLERS, just watch out , side effects include but not limited to , blured vision and morning headaches.LOL

kranswurm, same here. i stocked up big time before i went. got a joe's conversion done before leaving (now replaced with fully-fledged tubeless tyres on new mavic crosslands) and didn't have one problem myself. the others' bikes kept falling apart though!  

ps. went the last weekend of july! - had a crazy time, even though my fellow travellers, who i hadn't met before going, didn't ride all that much ot too far! the sundowners on the last night - WOW!!!!!! 

kranswurm' date=' same here. i stocked up big time before i went. got a joe's conversion done before leaving (now replaced with fully-fledged tubeless tyres on new mavic crosslands) and didn't have one problem myself. the others' bikes kept falling apart though!  

ps. went the last weekend of july! - had a crazy time, even though my fellow travellers, who i hadn't met before going, didn't ride all that much ot too far! the sundowners on the last night - WOW!!!!!! 
[/quote']

I have always said.There is only one way to go.

Full tubeless on Mavic UST rims with a full bottle of slime in each wheel.

Lasts about 6 months then top up.Believe me we got lots of thorns in Bots

Thought the entire trip was a blast and will do it again

Joe and Goms your rangers,took part in our Kalahari Challenge

Holy roller, sign up for KalChal next year! Even if you don't see elephants, you'll see rhino!

kranswurm' date=' same here. i stocked up big time before i went. got a joe's conversion done before leaving (now replaced with fully-fledged tubeless tyres on new mavic crosslands) and didn't have one problem myself. the others' bikes kept falling apart though!  

[/quote']

I have always said.There is only one way to go.

Full tubeless on Mavic UST rims with a full bottle of slime in each wheel.

Lasts about 6 months then top up.Believe me we got lots of thorns in Bots

Thought the entire trip was a blast and will do it again

Joe and Goms your rangers,took part in our Kalahari Challenge

gotta agree on the mavics. now use joe's sealant mixed with okmo (or something like that) that we use to "slime" wheels at the lbs.

trip was indeed a blast. also gonna go again.

shame, poor joe. i felt sorry for him on the last night. we'd had a few too many drinkies around the fire and used a gemsbok skull and that huge torch of theirs to wake him from his slumber!

him and goms did the kalahari challenge the weekend before i went. great guys. bequeathed them my pocket mountain bike maintenance book.

goms had broken his glasses before we left and ended up wearing the campest pair of coco chanel sunnies i've seem for the duration of the trip!

michh, on the way to sundowners, we were led through a beaut sandstone valley that leads down to a dry riverbed. looked like moab! i moaned that they should have taken us there from the first day and left us there!

Holy roller' date=' sign up for KalChal next year! Even if you don't see elephants, you'll see rhino![/quote']

on the must-do list already!

yup im using spray and cook already!!it works for like the first 10-15km... and then ok for the next 20km and then if you did the stellenbosch mtb challenge it didnt work for the last 20km...