MTB Tyres

alan4251

Guest eyecandy

Hi All

I need some advice on MTB tyres. I want to go tubless and have been advised to go Continental Mountain King 2.2 on the front and Race King 2.2 on the back. This is for traction on the front and less rolling resistance on the back. What do you think about this.

That's the combo i use. Its awesome......works like a bomb :D

You've got it spot on! The conti's are great and well priced.

The Schwalbe's are also awesome if you have deep pockets.

Maxxis is well priced and last well, but they don't grip as well as the tyres mentioned above.

Kenda tyres are similar to the Maxxis in performance but don't last as long and are not as puncture resistant.

Geax is somewhere in between, but they tend to be to heavy on UST and puncture too easy if they are non UST.

Yes - I've used all of them.

Hi All

I need some advice on MTB tyres. I want to go tubless and have been advised to go Continental Mountain King 2.2 on the front and Race King 2.2 on the back. This is for traction on the front and less rolling resistance on the back. What do you think about this.

If you only going to be riding in the veld and not going to come near tar.....it's a very good combo....Conti's very soft and if you are going to do long stretches on tar road, it's not going to last you very long.... :angry:

Small Block 8's on both my 29'ers.

Generally I've always liked the Kendas (as made famous by Johnny T) how are you finding the Small Block 8s?

Just bought a wheelset with them on and am curious.

Currently on my other wheelset I'm riding with CST Comps, Copperhead and I really love those. Lightweight, roll beautifully and work on most terrain other than really loose sandy stuff or mud. Tread pattern is reminiscent of the the Hutchinson Pythons.

Sagauro Front - Mezcal/Barro race/aka Back.

Its like the uzzi of tyres - when you absolutely, possotively have to make it through whatever comes you way - accept no substitute!!!! GEAX

+1

GEAX all the way!!!!! Sagauro Front - Mezcal Back is the best ever!

How can the rear of a bike be faster than the front? They work in unison!

Surely this is onl;y a perception and not factual??

By 'faster' I mean less rolling resistance ie less knoblies. Same reason I like 'em hard as well. I need all the help I can get to overcome friction.

Besides I think, therefore I am.

Hard tyres are your worst enemy in the dirt - I bet there are more people running higher pressures than those running the correct/ideal pressures.

You've paid for those knobblies on the sides of your tyre, so use them and get maximum traction with lower pressures.