selling of sample products

Face Plant

just been to a LBS to buy some chamois cream. i get told that they only have the small tubes of ASSOS selling for R20 each so i bought a couple to see me through for a while, so i just get back to the office and im looking at the little tube and notice "SAMPLE NOT FOR SALE" on the side of the tub! what you guys think? you think its ethical to be selling sample products?

must be honest i think this is #@#!$ nonsense!

I bought some a while back too for R20 and have just looked on them and it states " Sample not for sale " . bastards !! and they wonder why more and more people are supporting online stores.

Its either J&J who's being gold diggers or the shop. now im pissed !

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Name & Shame, Name & Shame, Name & Shame. Feel like a good lynching. I would have to say both parties involved are really taking the piss,

Ok you guys will know me as the one supporting mostly LBS's but in this case that's fraud/theft! Nail their asses I say. Publish which shop and I would anyways mail the Assos guys Internationally, in fact if you don't want to I will :angry:

I agree with Mux that the shop is as much to blame as J&J if they paid for it and are charging the customer, if they weren't charged by J&J and are just charging they are greedy tjops and should be named and shamed and (not or) reported to the Assos top dogs!

I was shocked the other day when I ordered a part for my Thule rack from CWC. When I picked it up, they gave it to me for free. Said Thule didn't charge them for it so they weren't charging me They could have still charged me and I wouldn't have know any different. Its not even my local LBS. I was very impressed and will support them in the future.

Now here you have a shop selling products that are supposed to be free???! Why would a shop buy stuff that legally they are not allowed to sell? Bit stupid if that is the case.

But CWC still made profit on this through your post.

Im going to get some facts from the store first before " name and shame " .

i dont like naming and shaming without knowing all the facts but regardless if they are paying for the samples or not, i think people should know where this stuff was bought! it would be very interesting to see if Iron bought from the same company. if he is willing to share with us i will name the LBS if its not the same shop

Iron, good approach I guess to make sure of the facts but I would find it difficult for them to explain

PAYING for something that says "SAMPLE NOT FOR SALE" clearly on the packaging .......

..... And so they should. Good service MUST be rewarded as much as bad service gets a bollocking. Well done CWC and sell pointed out as well.

Disagree - why is it always left to the consumer to sort the **** out. Surely the Bike shop should tell J&J that it is not ethical when offered with the deal of purchasing samples. No they agreed to the terms therefore they are just as responsible.

Well, its cos the consumer is usually the one out of pocket.

I agree that the LBS needs to tell the supplier this is out of line, but thats assuming they PAID for the samples, if they didnt, well, they are just trying their luck.

A lot of companies try and fob it off as saying they are only charging the cost they incurred to import the samples (ie) Freight, customs clearance, agent fees etc - and I agree even if they got the samples free from ASSOS, they would have incurred a cost getting it here (unless ASSOS sent it at their cost which is unlikely)- but thats just not morally right, they should put that cost to advertising or something else, it always leaves a bitter taste when you feel you have been rolled.!

Well, its cos the consumer is usually the one out of pocket.

I agree that the LBS needs to tell the supplier this is out of line, but thats assuming they PAID for the samples, if they didnt, well, they are just trying their luck.

A lot of companies try and fob it off as saying they are only charging the cost they incurred to import the samples (ie) Freight, customs clearance, agent fees etc - and I agree even if they got the samples free from ASSOS, they would have incurred a cost getting it here (unless ASSOS sent it at their cost which is unlikely)- but thats just not morally right, they should put that cost to advertising or something else, it always leaves a bitter taste when you feel you have been rolled.!

For my wifes hair salon, we often have to buy "free" samples for her clients. Hell, its the cost of doing business and we pay (comes out of our advertising budget). But we do draw the line where the supplier wants to take advantage of the situation or demands we purchase a thousand rands samples.

And that is why people should always give good service!

And that is why people should always give good service!

I agree - been there a few times and the guys are more than enthusiastic to help.... they already greet me by name when I go into the shop and assist me with what ever my query.

Still intrigued in who is selling samples and is blatantly marked as such...

Im going to get some facts from the store first before " name and shame " .

did you manage to speak to the LBS that sold you the Chamois cream Iron?