Best strategy to improve seeding in road races

GoBig

I am neww to road racing. Have a G seeding from mountainbiking and would like to improve this in the road races. I have never done a road race though, this weekend's tour de Worcester will be my first. Any advice on the best way to improve my seeding - just go till I puke from the start gun?

If you're in G and you have the legs, find a few like minded riders to work with and try and jump a group or two. It's a pretty common event in groups like E, F and G so keep an eye out after the start for the guys who want to go and then work together.

well the obvious answer is to get the best time possible. there are many ways to do that, wheelsucking the fastest bunch you can hold onto is a good one. it does take time, and over multiple races you can work your way up.

but you ask for a strategy, so i think we're looking beyond just riding fast and smart. depending on the twist of your moral fibre, cheating will get you far here. do the shortcut thing, but ferkraaisakes make sure you don't go and blow your cover by winning the race.

put thumbtacks all over the road and do the race on your mtb loaded up with stans

putting your chip on a fast makes bike is another good one.

looks like you've already entered, but sandbagging is another way to get ahead(ie. do really well in the medium route.

you could also make up some fake race results from overseas and send in a letter.

or go look for Jago Liss, he should have more tips

well the obvious answer is to get the best time possible. there are many ways to do that, wheelsucking the fastest bunch you can hold onto is a good one. it does take time, and over multiple races you can work your way up.

but you ask for a strategy, so i think we're looking beyond just riding fast and smart. depending on the twist of your moral fibre, cheating will get you far here. do the shortcut thing, but ferkraaisakes make sure you don't go and blow your cover by winning the race.

put thumbtacks all over the road and do the race on your mtb loaded up with stans

putting your chip on a fast makes bike is another good one.

looks like you've already entered, but sandbagging is another way to get ahead(ie. do really well in the medium route.

you could also make up some fake race results from overseas and send in a letter.

or go look for Jago Liss, he should have more tips

:D :D :D :D I can see this man got experieince in winning races, listen to him(shebeen) and two races from now you will under the the first 10 in the sprint !

I've found that unfortunately when you reach groups F and G, you sort of hit a wall and its very difficult to improve further. I consistently did well in races in the summer season sometimes even coming in with the D batch riders but my seeding still stays at F.

Somebody already said it but just wheelsuck the front bunch . Next race you will be up a few groups and repeat . Do until desired seeding has been obtained and then return to your MTB .

Train more.

Find the fast few like minded people in your group at the start and ride together for mutual benefit.

Train more.

Do flat races - the times are closer making your seeding better.

Train more.

Buy some lightweight wheels.

Train more.

Wheelsuck a faster group if you can't pace.

Train more.