Recommended average heart rate during a race

Wil6

How did you determine your max? Sounds like it could be higher, but like bikemonster says, it's just a number....

Rather ask what your normalised power should be. That's much more exciting!

I used a formula I found on google by Miller et al and it is determine MHR = 217 - (0.85 x Age) and I also own a polar CS600 that does it for me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also pretty new to HR training on a bike, will say it is pretty awesome.

Has anyone ever experienced it being really (!!!) difficult to get their HR above 85% during a long race (4hrs into a 6hrs race) ?

Did the karoo to coast yesterday and it just wouldn't budge. I had too little power to push a higher gear, but the ones I could push where not getting me above 85%.

Maybe I'm just weak or something, but I was really surprised. Maybe it is some defense mechanism.

Any ideas?

That said, HR training has REALLY changed my endurance and recovery SIGNIFICANTLY!

I'm also pretty new to HR training on a bike, will say it is pretty awesome.

Has anyone ever experienced it being really (!!!) difficult to get their HR above 85% during a long race (4hrs into a 6hrs race) ?

Did the karoo to coast yesterday and it just wouldn't budge. I had too little power to push a higher gear, but the ones I could push where not getting me above 85%.

Maybe I'm just weak or something, but I was really surprised. Maybe it is some defense mechanism.

Any ideas?

That said, HR training has REALLY changed my endurance and recovery SIGNIFICANTLY!

In some cases when ur HR hits a roof and doesnt go over its more likely as a result of fatigue/over training. Rest up a couple of days and it should be back to normal.

At stage races here by day 3 it takes you hours to get ur HR up above 80%. Probably a defense mech as you say.

Hi IdeJongh

Thanks. I think it was fatigue. Its good advise though; I'm doing a stage race in December so I have a lot of preparation ahead!

Hi IdeJongh

Thanks. I think it was fatigue. Its good advise though; I'm doing a stage race in December so I have a lot of preparation ahead!

What stage race you doing? Its amazing the levels you go up when u start training for stages. We're so conditioned in thinking that our body needs immediate recovery that we never train hard on consecutive days, you know the typical program, intervals, recovery, long ride, recovery until you're forced to and its amazing how your body adapts.

If you start seeing a bright light and hear harp music, ease up a bit (but not oo much!) ;)

But tbh, I hardly ever look at HR (except when climbing) during a race. Clinging on to the group is all that counts if you're looking for a time.

Lol, yep, who's got time to look at heart rate when you're hanging on for dear life! But if you don't hear those harps at the end, then you didn't do your bit at the front!

Some guys have said it on here, but you get to know yourself, but a high HR is not always bad. If Im racing and I see my HR is up 95% and above Im chuffed as it meens my body is working well, then I just stick to the pace as long as I can. Your body will let you know about 25 minutes before you "hit the wall" so when I get that alert signal from the body I try drop below 92% or your Lactic threashold which is personal but 92% for me) for a while and then you can actually recover well enough to be able to push hard again later. but genarally between 80 and 90% you should be able to ride for a long long time If you keep eating.

Some guys have said it on here, but you get to know yourself, but a high HR is not always bad. If Im racing and I see my HR is up 95% and above Im chuffed as it meens my body is working well, then I just stick to the pace as long as I can. Your body will let you know about 25 minutes before you "hit the wall" so when I get that alert signal from the body I try drop below 92% or your Lactic threashold which is personal but 92% for me) for a while and then you can actually recover well enough to be able to push hard again later. but genarally between 80 and 90% you should be able to ride for a long long time If you keep eating.

Different strokes for different folks.

On race days I stick a piece of masking tape over the HR reading on my Polar. I don't want to know. I know how I feel, and I've also learnt that if I'm working hard to stay with the bunch, if I see a high HR I'll start thinking "Geez...high HR...I can't keep this up for long!" And as soon as you think it, it happens. I'd rather not know what the number is, and push my hardest if I have to, without letting my head get messed with.

What stage race you doing? Its amazing the levels you go up when u start training for stages. We're so conditioned in thinking that our body needs immediate recovery that we never train hard on consecutive days, you know the typical program, intervals, recovery, long ride, recovery until you're forced to and its amazing how your body adapts.

I'm doing the Sabie Experience. I'm not sure how I'm going to get around the altitude but I'll just have to train harder. The only reason I'm not riding today is that all I feel on my butt is pain. Hey - its the first ride I ever did over 60km. I'd only ever did 60km on the road.

As everyone says, too many variables to be accurate but, in my case, I thought I worked 'well' on the 20k Outride on Saturday.

First you need to know what your maximum heart rate is - most people don't! According to the 220 - Age rule, my max. HR should be 220 - 45 i.e. 175 bpm, but I can't get over 170 bpm. But thn I am rather unfit, and overweight!

At the Outsurance Outride (only 20k, but MTB), my max heart rate was 167 bpm (i.e. close to my max.) and my average was 150 bpm - i.e. Average to Max. (for the race) 90%, average to max 88%, and average to (theoretical) max 85%. I felt I worked hard, but felt that, in places, I could have worked harder - but I think that's the sort of range to aim for - i.e. 85 to 90%.

Good one this ,I never took the time to ask what my max is .... that will give me a max of 185 bpm ..i get to 220 on climbs longer then 500 metres . And on all my road training sessions i try to stay between 170 and 175 bpm.

CharlV

I used a formula I found on google by Miller et al and it is determine MHR = 217 - (0.85 x Age) and I also own a polar CS600 that does it for me.

Not sure how the Polar does it for you, but that formula is just a wild guess. Wouldn't trust it at all. I regularly hit peaks above 190 and guess my max to lie around 200,but according to your Miller time I should have a max of 181.

Go out and do a max HR test to really know. It hurts, but it's fun to know!

Not sure how the Polar does it for you, but that formula is just a wild guess. Wouldn't trust it at all. I regularly hit peaks above 190 and guess my max to lie around 200,but according to your Miller time I should have a max of 181.

Go out and do a max HR test to really know. It hurts, but it's fun to know!

How do you do a max heart rate test?Would like to try it, but like everybody says, and thanks for all the brilliant feedback, it is about getting to know your body and pushing yourself to the max and you will be amazed at what your body can do!

I'm doing the Sabie Experience. I'm not sure how I'm going to get around the altitude but I'll just have to train harder. The only reason I'm not riding today is that all I feel on my butt is pain. Hey - its the first ride I ever did over 60km. I'd only ever did 60km on the road.

Awesome Im doing Sabie X as well. Now that is going to be awesome. Ive done Sabbie Classic and it was the best ride Ive ever done.

How do you do a max heart rate test?Would like to try it, but like everybody says, and thanks for all the brilliant feedback, it is about getting to know your body and pushing yourself to the max and you will be amazed at what your body can do!

Well, there are loads of tests on the internet, but I find that the best way is to look at your hr history to find it and also to push yourself to the absolute max on a ride. Sprinting until you feel like you are going to fall off the bike usually produces the goods! You have to be properly warmed up though otherwise you might not get your hr up that high.

Also remember that max HR is sport specific (well, that's what the 'experts' say), so do it on the bike. Have a look at this article for a nice test:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=53

Well, there are loads of tests on the internet, but I find that the best way is to look at your hr history to find it and also to push yourself to the absolute max on a ride. Sprinting until you feel like you are going to fall off the bike usually produces the goods! You have to be properly warmed up though otherwise you might not get your hr up that high.

Also remember that max HR is sport specific (well, that's what the 'experts' say), so do it on the bike. Have a look at this article for a nice test:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=53

Thanks Willehond, will try and kill myself this week to determine my max :lol: