Recommended average heart rate during a race

Wil6

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At SabieX your heart rate will be the least of your problems .... ;-)

Hahahaha, I've heard that it is MUDDY. I'm not sure how the flip I'm going to deal with that. Or the altitude for that matter. Jo jo jo!

Cool thanks for all the advise,just wanted a rough feeling off what other riders are doing and that I don't push myself too hard!but the advise makes sense

It's a race - pushing too hard is what it's all about. Unless you're very unfit it's unlikely to kill you, but it will make you stronger.

If I go according to the 220-age calculation my max heart rate should be 172. I just checked my last 20 odd races and training rides, and my avg heart rate is 160, which is 93% of max. My avg max heart rate for these last couple of rides/races were 184, which is about 7.5% above my max heart rate. Should I be concerned about this 7.5% above max heart rate?

220 - age will give an average max HR.

Use that if you buy your shoes and clothes based on finding out what the average is and just ordering that.

Thought not.

No need to worry about it -it sounds as if you werent even aware of the fact that you rode much harder than your "supposed max HR"

proves that one shouldnt worry too much about it

they cannot even test your max HR with 100% accuracy in a controlled lab test.

max HR depends on many factors which the 220 formula does not take into account

previous sporting/physical activity record isnt accounted for and its possible that you could have a very well developed cardio system - the 220 formula is based on teh ave man in the street, so your "condition" vs the ave man couldbe much better etc....

just ride as hard as you can and forget the rest

you will always be able to push your body further and harder anyway

The reason I am asking is that heart diseases are an hereditary family problem My father had bypass surgery at 44, and died about 10 days later. My eldest brother died of a heart attack when he was 33 and my younger brother had triple bypass surgery at 32 and eventually passed away a few months later. This was one of my main reasons for taking up cycling just after I turned 40 and I realised I was turning into a big couch potato. Now I am just big, but so far the longest living male member of our family. Maybe I should monitor my heart a litttle more closely.

During your training you need to build up your aerobic fitness before pushing too hard into anaerobic - i.e. you nee to train your body to efficiently utalise endurance fuel. During the race ... trial and error ... go and do a 60km ride at 80%, then at 85% then at 90% and see how you feel.

The reason I am asking is that heart diseases are an hereditary family problem My father had bypass surgery at 44, and died about 10 days later. My eldest brother died of a heart attack when he was 33 and my younger brother had triple bypass surgery at 32 and eventually passed away a few months later. This was one of my main reasons for taking up cycling just after I turned 40 and I realised I was turning into a big couch potato. Now I am just big, but so far the longest living male member of our family. Maybe I should monitor my heart a litttle more closely.

Don't trust a bunch of Interweb wise-asses with this!

Heck, don't even trust me.

Get checked out and get a physician's professional opinion.

Don't trust a bunch of Interweb wise-asses with this!

Heck, don't even trust me.

Get checked out and get a physician's professional opinion.

Spoilsport

flat out or balls to the wall... pick one. coz if you aint giving your all, you ain't racing!

True but this is distant dependent.

I don't use a heart monitor, my friends say I am heartless/

During your training you need to build up your aerobic fitness before pushing too hard into anaerobic - i.e. you nee to train your body to efficiently utalise endurance fuel. During the race ... trial and error ... go and do a 60km ride at 80%, then at 85% then at 90% and see how you feel.

60km @ 90%?

ouch

I was just looking at my Polar graph from 94.7 a few years ago. My average was 170 and my max in the race was 188. My running max at the time was 200. What average percentage was my 170 in the race? I am not too sure how you guys calculate it.