Chain cleaning Johan Bornman vs Bicycling

Jaco Steyn

Yes, chains are not fussy, but the plastic chain cleaner gadgets are. Smile

I have now fitted an SRAM link to my MTB chain, so can take it off, but after a not so muddy ride, it is quicker to clean the chain on the bike.

This one is soapy, so not a pure solvent and I guess should be OK on the plastic.

I used this engine cleaner to clean my new MTB chain before fitting it - works fine. Just need to use gloves since this stuff is not kind to your skin.

Will get Prepsol when this eventually runs out - I have 5l and I don't clean my car engine that often! Smile

I don't use a degreaser on the MTB chain every time. If it was not too muddy I only use water in the chain cleaner gadget, dry and lube. Reasoning being that it is not a good idea to get rid of all the lubricant after each ride.

By the way, does it matter which direction the chain runs? I.e. do you have to check that you put the chain back in the same direction after taking it of for cleaning?

I know it does not matter for a new chain and can't think that it matters if you reverse the chain when it is partly worn. Just wondering if there might be a reason...

mountain_lion2007-09-23 08:42:35

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes' date=' chains are not fussy, but the plastic chain cleaner gadgets are. Smile  [/quote']

You are right. However, use it in your chain gadget and if that then konks out, use a plastic juice bottle. I can see why people want to use their fancy gadgets but once you're over that and have upgraded to taking the chain off and dumping it in a juice bottle, you'll be liberated.

I have now fitted an SRAM link to my MTB chain' date=' so can take it off, but after a not so muddy ride, it is quicker to clean the chain on the bike. [/quote']

I doubt it is quicker to clean it on the bike. Taking a chain off takes 20 seconds max, refitting it a minute maybe. Besides, with the chain off you can get to your chainring much easier and clean that off as well.

I don't use a degreaser on the MTB chain every time. If it was not too muddy I only use water in the chain cleaner gadget' date=' dry and lube. Reasoning being that it is not a good idea to get rid of all the lubricant after each ride. [/quote']

It is a good idea to get the lube out. The lube is contaminated and has become grinding paste. I have pics on my website somewhere of a chain after a lube and ride. You'll be horrified to see what's inside. Clean completely and relube each time or leave it altogether.

By the way' date=' does it matter which direction the chain runs? I.e. do you have to check that you put the chain back in the same direction after taking it of for cleaning?
I know it does not matter for a new chain and can't think that it matters if you reverse the chain when it is partly worn. Just wondering if there might be a reason...

[/quote']

No it doesn't matter which way round it goes.

Apologies for a mini hijack, but since this is also a 'cleaning' issue, i hope you don't mind too much!

Johan .. what would be a safe and efficient way to get resin off the frame, without removing the paint at the same time?

Apologies for a mini hijack' date=' but since this is also a 'cleaning' issue, i hope you don't mind too much!

Johan .. what would be a safe and efficient way to get resin off the frame, without removing the paint at the same time?
[/quote']

What type of resin? Tree resin?

JB

What type of resin? Tree resin?

JB

No. From the road. From an area where 'fresh' roadworks took place. But its not tar. Sticky yellow droplets on the frame. I'll send you a pic tomorrow