Chain cleaning Johan Bornman vs Bicycling

Jaco Steyn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used both Prepsol and the lemon Cleen Green concentrate.

Personally I prefer the Cleen Green. 

Prepsol doesn't clean as well as the CG. 

Regards,

casspir

After lots of frustration with the chain cleaner tools which never really get the chain properly clean (always had a slight grating noise) I broke the chain, cleaned it as per Johan's method, re-fitted with the SRAM links.

Yes I ignored warnings about using the SRAM links on my 10spd Shimano chains and it works fine. I go a step further and clean the chains with a solvent like thinners (which I re-use for all the greenies) and then clean green. I strip the cassette and clean similarly.

I lube with engine oil and the drivechain is soooo much smoother now.

I'm with the Bicycling method.

Chains don't need to be removed toclean them. A chain bath with high detergent solution is all thats necessary.

Removing the chain and using aggressive degreasers just removes the good stuff in the chian and leaves the bad stuff behind.

i'm also with the chain on bike method, but i bought the white lightning wet lube, has anyone tried the stuff?

i cleaned my chain with gleen green as usual, and lubed my chain left it over night, road bike next day, and the chain is still wet, now it looks wet a greasy instead of the grey look, the normal white lightning made...

Clean chain on the bike with chain cleaning gaghet and parrafin,wipe clean with a cloth apply Epic White lightning and no problems . I do this every three weeks.

Hi CAADman, used the same method, but my Chain cleaning gadget broke. Willie Engelbrecht's salesman told me the Parrifin was too strong for the plastic chain cleaner tried to sell my a bottle of Citrus cleaner for R120 odd bucks.

Does anyone know where I can buy a Park tool CM5 Cyclone cleaner in Western Cape (Northern Suburbs), at a good price?

Hi CAADman' date=' used the same method, but my Chain cleaning gadget broke. Willie Engelbrecht's salesman told me the Parrifin was too strong for the plastic chain cleaner tried to sell my a bottle of Citrus cleaner for R120 odd bucks.

Does anyone know where I can buy a Park tool CM5 Cyclone cleaner in Western Cape (Northern Suburbs), at?a good price?
[/quote']

I always rinse the chain cleaner after use so hopefully it should be ok

Don;t use PAraffin to clean the chain anyway. It's very pretty agressive for the plastoc used to make chain cleaners. Tehy get that cracked frosted glass look afterward.

I just use household detergent. Super10 or similar is good enough.

Alternatively use Diesel. Less aggressive toward the plastic and you can filter it and reuse

Dunno but it was pink' date='does that help? Probably not![/quote']

No way!Wink 

Johan - please tell all!

It is indeed Prepsol, like someone else pointed out.

Buy it in 25l cans from a motorbike shop or Midas and share it with your friends. Don't buy it in 1l bottles, it is way too expensive then and you'll be tempted to be thrifty with the stuff. It is good for washing cars, dishes, dogs and even cures dandruff.

It is totally inert in the garden. I pour the used Prepsol onto my lawn, hose it down with a quick squirt from the hosepipe and nothing happens to the lawn.

Someone else mentioned using citrus cleaner. This is very good for removing stubborn oil and grease and the sticky stuff from stickers, but too expensive for chain cleaning and the volatile distilates in there do get absorbed by the skin, just like thinners or turps. These chemicals, including  petrol, should really not come in contact with the skin. Should you have to work with it, use barrier cream for your hands. It is available from places where Prepsol hangs out. Reinol makes it. Speaking of Reinol, get some for your hands. You'll never be scared of touching your chain ever again.

I always have Prepsol and a small quantity of the citrus stuff on hand.

Whilst we're on the topic of grease, remove chain tattoos from your clothing by rubbing pure glycerine into the stain 20 minutes before washing.

JB

Midas also stock their own house brand engine cleaner "MEC 5".

Bottle does not say what it is made up of; is also pink.

Does say to rinse of with running water if it comes into contact with the skin, so I guess it is not Prepsol. Anybody know what this stuff is?

Was wondering if it will be good for bicycle chain cleaning too since I have a bottle of it.

I use muc off chain cleaner.

Directons:

> Spray on chain and cassette while turning crank arm.

> Leave for 2 minutes.

> Spray down then lube.

Total time taken 4 minutes.

Midas also stock their own house brand engine cleaner "MEC 5".
Bottle does not say what it is made up of; is also pink.
Does say to rinse of with running water if it comes into contact with the skin' date=' so I guess it is not Prepsol. Anybody know what this stuff is?
Was wondering if it will be good for bicycle chain cleaning too since I have a bottle of it.

[/quote']

Just use it. Don't worry, chains aren't fussy.

But just a general word on engine cleaners. There are basically two types - solvent and soap. The former is easy to recognise and smells like something that will burn whereas the latter feels soapy.