Buy New Heart Rate Monitor

D-Mike

I am looking to a buy a heart rate monitor. The basic functions than I am looking for are:

Data must be downloadable (preferable to pc)

I want to wear it like a watch.

Use for basic interval training.

I don't need extremely long life battery. I can charge it daily

Measuring of cadence is an optional nice to have.

GPS is not required.

The budget is stretched, so cheaper is nice, but I don't want to compromise on quality.

How effective is downloading to a website, since this looks to be cheaper than downloading to the pc. Can you properly analyse the results over the internet? Is it not too slow with the data upload? And is memory a problem for this?

If you know of 2nd hand ones, feel free to recommend.

Thanks

I'm v happy with my Garmin Forerunner 305...

It is well priced now (search online I reckon) and then you do get the GPS functionality as well.

And it is compatible with the cadence sensor and foot pod for running.

Some people don't dig the battery life (around 3.5 hours when recording HR and GPS data every second), but I rode 7hrs in Karoo to Coast (just put it on Smart Recording) and no worries.

Oh and HR strap is comfortable enough too.

Anyway, hope it helped a little.

Just be careful with 'downloadable' data. Some of lower-end Polar watches allow for data download to a webpage, but the data is a summary of the exercise i.e. you get total calories, total distance, average speed etc.

The higher end models give you a full exercise breakdown showing you HR, speed, altitude, etc over the duration of the entire exercise. I find this to be very useful in analysing my rides.

I have the Polar S720i which cost a little more than the CS600 and overall it performs pretty well, and it comes with software for Windows, you can wear it as a watch and the battery lasts for years (although it's not rechargeable). The package comes with your heart rate monitor strap and the speed sensor, but it is also compatible with Polar cadence sensor whic you can buy separately.

It seems to me that the polar HRM's tend to be on the expensive side. I am considering the Garmin Forerunner 305. Would you recommend / not recommend the HRM and why?

To be honest I haven't actually looked at the Garmin options yet, but I've heard good things about them.

Polar F6 second hand, nice basic HRM with bike mount and strap R500.00

woa, stop the horses.....is it yours you are selling Mr T ?

Hey Slow, Yip, bought an S725x from GTR on the hub so this littlie is just hanging around. How the Bees?

Thanks for all the advice.

I got a pretty sweet deal on the Forerunner 305.

Now to hit the road!