Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

So I had a huge fight with my rear derailleur and decided we need to take a break from each other. Went for my first ride on this setup today and I think now I understand. It was something of a revelation to know that I didn't need a full cassette of gears. The silence and the power transfer were deeply satisfying. I thought I might just do this till I feel like buying a new rear derailleur but I may just leave it this way. It feels so good. I've never ridden single speed before and I always struggled to understand why you would but I think I'm starting to understand. Still I've yet to ride further than 20kms. When I've actually done a decent distance and elevation perhaps things will change. Right now I'm loving this. And yes my dropper is proper gangsta, its so gangsta that sometimes the seat post will pull right out (it needs a little help to release sometimes) and the remaining post will try to sodomize you but honestly I wouldn't ride without my dropper now and the fancy ones are just so expensive (I have a 27.2 seatpost). All my single speed stuff is from Rapide' btw. And the cog is a 17t with a 30t front chainring.

post-47041-0-71106300-1559650692_thumb.jpg

post-47041-0-24568800-1559650597_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben G - try get a setup that pushed the chain rather than down - the better the chain wraps around the rear cog he better :-)

Nice bike 

Ben G - try get a setup that pushed the chain rather than down - the better the chain wraps around the rear cog he better :-)

Nice bike 

Definitely something I'll look at in the future. Right now I'm trying to get out of the MTB arms race. I got some skipping when I first set this up but removed a link and suddenly it no skipping at all. Who sells up tensioners. Rapide doesn't seem to have them.

Your LBS should be able to hook you up with a double pully type (About R700)  I use a Surly Singulator - off eBay - and got a push up spring.

Rapide ’s tensioner only really works push-down - which is a pity. Apparently they did look into push-up springs but felt wheel removal was too fiddly. 

DMR Tensionseeker is also nice.

For me the Singular is the best - but can be a little fussy with chain length and chainring/cog choice and frame (dropout mainly) design. But its usually possible to get that sorted.

When I put power down - any push down setups has my chain jumping off the rear cog.

post-143473-0-72070500-1559653038_thumb.jpeg

post-143473-0-57746000-1559653056_thumb.jpeg

Your LBS should be able to hook you up with a double pully type (About R700)  I use a Surly Singulator - off eBay - and got a push up spring.

Rapide ’s tensioner only really works push-down - which is a pity. Apparently they did look into push-up springs but felt wheel removal was too fiddly. 

DMR Tensionseeker is also nice.

For me the Singular is the best - but can be a little fussy with chain length and chainring/cog choice and frame (dropout mainly) design. But its usually possible to get that sorted.

When I put power down - any push down setups has my chain jumping off the rear cog.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2019-05-09 at 11.16.33.jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2019-05-09 at 11.18.15.jpeg

Interesting looking setup. If mine gives me trouble I'll look into this. So far it hasn't given me a moment of trouble. Might be helped by the small chainring.

Interesting looking setup. If mine gives me trouble I'll look into this. So far it hasn't given me a moment of trouble. Might be helped by the small chainring.

If you do experience some chain drops, you can also look at Rapide's half-link chains which seems stronger and provide a better wrap.

I have used a few half link chains. They stretch like crazy - removed 4 half links in 3 months - thats 50mm of stretch (must have strong legs). Totally decimated my chainring and cog.

Personally I’m not a fan.

My go-to is KMC’s Z610 HX - its a heavy duty SS chain in 3/32.

I have used a few half link chains. They stretch like crazy - removed 4 half links in 3 months - thats 50mm of stretch (must have strong legs). Totally decimated my chainring and cog.

Personally I’m not a fan.

My go-to is KMC’s Z610 HX - its a heavy duty SS chain in 3/32.

What the heck that's a ton of stretch. I can see why they'd stretch though its inherent in the design the little bend in the plate just slowly straightens out presumably. Mine at present is a 10 speed kmc. Yes overpriced for a single speed chain but when I bought it I was trying to get my RD back up and running hadn't yet considered getting rid of it entirely.

Yeah - when I first tried a half-link chain thought it would be a match in heaven - nice simple ‘magic gear’ setup etc. 

I’m busy trying out one of YBN’s SS 3/32 chains from Rapide at the moment - its a nice chain - but had long enough to see what the stretch is like. 

The other thing worth noting is with single-arm tensioners like Rapide sells if the u-shaped chain guide plate - its very chain width/line specific - 1/8th chains tend to be too wide and catch the plate pulling it into the chain locking up the drive - find with a 3/32 chain the removable chain connector link with its extra plate just clips.  

The one I have is a very early one from 2003 :-) Its the first tensioner I had. Managed to fiddle so it works in push up mode.

my single speed proto type Ti contraband Ritchey P-29 built to replicate the P-21/23 of the 90’s. But may look SS. But running Rohloff IGH hub. e9d41eec565b97d400cf93764ed95d25.jpg92cb1cef45e96eaa5467796d686ceaa4.jpg

:drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

Ritchey P-29 built to replicate the P-21/23 of the 90’s. But may look SS. But running Rohloff IGH hub.

How does the bike handle on the trails with a Rohloff hub ... can you fell the weight on tech trails at all, or when bunny hopping the bike .... #AskingFor_a_Friend!

Howsit. I did a weight comparison when I installed the setup. The full Rohloff system is only 900gr heavier than full 1x xtr 985 system (including a rear hub). So probably not far off SLx for weight.

But it’s ALL on the rear wheel. Think it was 1.8kg for the hub alone. So yes it’s heavy. But on flowing trails it’s not too noticeable. It is when you jump or flick the rear. Very noticeable.