The joke that is the Firearms Act

Abercrombie

Trust me I know nothing to do with cycling, but after 4 years and receiving a competency saying I'm capable of using one, I get told I've had my request refused. Even though I have jewellery store and have had two violent armed robberies, my business partner was targeted at his house and hijacked, and after sending 53 pages of documents substantiating my request. Sorry folks as I know this has no relevance to cycling, but so damned annoyed right now! Even though I can appeal I frankly fail to see the point. Maybe I can sell my Specialized and buy a tank

.....guess you are not previosly disadvantaged.

Soon to be as he wont be able to protect himself or business:( What a load of bollocks

Trust me I know nothing to do with cycling, but after 4 years and receiving a competency saying I'm capable of using one, I get told I've had my request refused. Even though I have jewellery store and have had two violent armed robberies, my business partner was targeted at his house and hijacked, and after sending 53 pages of documents substantiating my request. Sorry folks as I know this has no relevance to cycling, but so damned annoyed right now! Even though I can appeal I frankly fail to see the point. Maybe I can sell my Specialized and buy a tank

Do the appeal and re-submit all your doc's and address the reasons they cited for the refusal and you will get it...worked for me.

Thanks Ciclismo, tempted but after all the calls/letters to them you start running out of steam. As I said to them, I seriously doubt many of us want to actually carry a firearm, but it's rather obvious that thugs have gained the upper hand and that the police are overwhelmed, ( those that are commited to making a difference).

It is a joke Abercrombie, its clear this government is aiming to disarm the honest population, to me GUN CONTROL and GUN REMOVAL is not the same, I can agree the average citizen do'snt need a few semi automatic rifles laying around, but self protection is a RIGHT not a privilege that no government can abridge.

Its probably apparent that I am of the camp that "A government who fears its people, is more apt to behave than one where the people fear the government" and yes I am armed (some would say to the teeth, but I disagree :) ) because I believe governments have first always implimented "reasonable gun control, then used it later to facilitate Gun Removal, like we see now.

Anyways, I am unaware of ANY CASE OF GUN CONTROL reducing violent crime, and I therefore see no benefit to anyone except government.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Coincidently, I applied for my 3 licenses in March 2008. Got an sms earlier the month, and today I got all 3!

Wife got hers too.

But yes, a frustrating process

I was one of the second group of Gun owners that had to re-apply. Did everything well in time and handed in. Received my competency certificate only early in last year. Received a letter from SAPS two weeks ago to contact a certain person there. Tried everyday, only managed to get hold of her today, as the phone was either just ringing or she was not available and no one else could help me as she was the one working with it. Turns out that they do not have copies of my two Licenses on the application file and I had to scan them in and mail it to them. Surely they could just go onto the registry database and get all the info there!?

Asked what the path forward is now and got told that it gets "sent back to the committee for further evaluation" WHAT FURTHER EVALUATION? I have two licenses for firearms for at least twenty years now. Are they gonna find me incompetent now and refuse me new licenses?

I have complied with everything required, even my safes has been inspected and found to comply with the act/requirements.

This act is a farce and a thinly disguised way of disarming the public.

If only criminals are going to have firearms, I guess I'm gonna be a criminal soon.

Edited by Wannabe

Do the appeal and re-submit all your doc's and address the reasons they cited for the refusal and you will get it...worked for me.

I agree with Ciclismo, do the appeal! The lady at the SAPS told me her self that "they" refuse your lisence to get more time (not that they need any) if you do the appeal then they give it to you if you dont they score 1 less lisence to give!

I cant agree with you more, it is a joke but dont give up, its what they want.

It took me just over four years to get my license, (handgun). It was also refused the first time so I had to appeal. I got it in the end!

my hunting rifle applications was at the police station for over a year then they called me after more than a year telling me that my ID copy was not clear enough!! I thought I was going to get a heart attack!!! No they could not tell me that the first day no they had to wait more than a year!!!!

It is so ridiculous just keep on until you have your lisence.

Edited by koukie

Yeah, I agree, keep on applying.

Unfortunately the Pro Firearm lobby in this country is weak, the government knows and takes advantage of this fact, but dont be discouraged, every time you think of giving up just read this bumper sticker I saw in New York recently :D -

My next door neighbour wants to ban all guns. Their house is not armed.

To respect their opinion, I promise NOT to use my guns to protect them.!

Hi Grumpy,

I am in the same boat - going upstream without a paddle. I have also been waiting a few years now and still nothing. I go into the charge office and enquire every now and again and enquire as to the progress. Twice I have had to fill in new forms because the orrigionals have been lost/misplaced, but I live in hope.

Most times I go in I am told that the longer I wait the longer my licence will be valid and that I must just be patient??????

Regards

Sarge

Got fedup with the entire process and signed both my firearms over to my gunsmith (Not the Police).