Nick Bester attacked and robbed

Sammajoor

I did a knife fighting course many years back when i was still collecting knives and i would sugest this any day rather than carring a gun.I still carry a knife with me all the time.

I know a few guys in PE that ride with Spyderco knives.

I thought the only stabbing done in Luxembourg was backstabbing?!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the only stabbing done in Luxembourg was backstabbing?!

Don't know about that,but a knife is always handy.Never know when i get stuck in some snow and need to make a fire :D

I did a knife fighting course many years back when i was still collecting knives and i would sugest this any day rather than carring a gun.I still carry a knife with me all the time.

I know a few guys in PE that ride with Spyderco knives.

Likewise, but if you are outnumbered they will use it on you.

I have a nice collection of Spyderco's as well as Coldsteel, my favorite the AK 47 from Coldsteel.

Nowadays I ride with this:

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/344219.jpg

Likewise, but if you are outnumbered they will use it on you.

I have a nice collection of Spyderco's as well as Coldsteel, my favorite the AK 47 from Coldsteel.

Nowadays I ride with this:

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/344219.jpg

Speak to an Amok, multiple opponenets etc.......

Sorry, but riding with a gun does not make you safe, it only makes you MORE of a target. Read Nick's own words:

“Die een het ’n mes teen my keel gedruk en vuurwapens en geld gevra. Ek het gesê ek ry nie daarmee nie.”

Not sure what you were expecting them to ask for.?

I would say a good motive to hi-jacking someone is either guns, bikes, mobile phones or money, and pretty much standard fare around this neck of the woods, I think they would have been surprised if he had a weapon, but thats not going to stop them asking for it.

These are hardly your average sophisticated Hollywood type thief, these are hardened, violent, opportunistic thugs who will just as soon kill you as steal your shoes.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but I prefer to meet my opponants on as level a footing as possible, squirting them with energy drink is not my suggestion as a suitable defense.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but I prefer to meet my opponants on as level a footing as possible, squirting them with energy drink is not my suggestion as a suitable defense.

So you are carrying when you ride.

Just a few Q's:

Are you riding with a round in the chamber?If you can get it out you won't have time to cock it.

Where is the gun on your body?Fa law says fire arm must be under your control at all times.

Are you ready to use the fire arm and live with the consequences?

Have you been robbed or hijacked before?

Guest agteros

Riding around with a gun/pistol/firearm/weapon might make you feel all empowered and 'safe', however it serves only one purpose: escalation of violence. Do you KNOW for sure what the level of violence is that the other party will tolerate?

I've heard of a springbok shot who carried a a sawn off shotgun in his car. One night he got hijacked and he went for his gun. This is why he carries the gun with him. Nett result? He got shot by the jackers, was paralysed and landed up in hospital from where he committed suicide.

As BeOne asked, "Are you ready to live with the consequences?" And... Is a bicycle / cellphone / a life worth the possible consequences if your "self empowering" actions go wrong?

Riding around with a gun/pistol/firearm/weapon might make you feel all empowered and 'safe', however it serves only one purpose: escalation of violence. Do you KNOW for sure what the level of violence is that the other party will tolerate?

I've heard of a springbok shot who carried a a sawn off shotgun in his car. One night he got hijacked and he went for his gun. This is why he carries the gun with him. Nett result? He got shot by the jackers, was paralysed and landed up in hospital from where he committed suicide.

As BeOne asked, "Are you ready to live with the consequences?" And... Is a bicycle / cellphone / a life worth the possible consequences if your "self empowering" actions go wrong?

I agree a weapon is only one of the dimensions to consider, there are many others, is your recognition skills sufficient, remember an ambusher will always see to it that he is in a beter position than your are. On the other side keep in mind that a predator will only continue with his actions as long as he does not put himself in danger. Again there are many weapons and tactics to consider here and perhaps a firearm is not the right choice, slow access, decision making process not up to standard ect....., everything is close quarter and fast here. Carrying of firearms might just lead to them going for cyclists, becase they have firearms.

Not sure what you were expecting them to ask for.?

I would say a good motive to hi-jacking someone is either guns, bikes, mobile phones or money, and pretty much standard fare around this neck of the woods, I think they would have been surprised if he had a weapon, but thats not going to stop them asking for it.

These are hardly your average sophisticated Hollywood type thief, these are hardened, violent, opportunistic thugs who will just as soon kill you as steal your shoes.

Well, I always buy a lottery ticket with the hope that I will be prepared when they ring the doorbell. The chance of that happening is slim and the chance that I will be expecting it even smaller. Kind of similar to the chance of me anticipating an attack on my favourite piece of singletrack.

So you are carrying when you ride.

Just a few Q's:

Are you riding with a round in the chamber?If you can get it out you won't have time to cock it.

Where is the gun on your body?Fa law says fire arm must be under your control at all times.

Are you ready to use the fire arm and live with the consequences?

Have you been robbed or hijacked before?

Sure, to answer -

1) D**n right theres a round in the chamber.

2)I have a fast draw holster.

3)The gun is usually always under my control, I dont care what the law says, even police dont have their firearms under their control at all times, nobody can say they do, its a MAJORITY TIME scenario.

4)I will use my weapon to defend myself, my family and my property, force depends on the situation, but if extreme force is necessary, Yes I am prepared.

5)Yes I have, twice in my business I was held up at gunpoint, once one of my security personal was severely injured, he survived, but now lives on the salary I pay him monthly, he cant work anymore.

I have also had a break in at my house, where a minor shoot out ensued and I wounded one as he tried to start my truck and drive out, the other two ran back into the house where the police caught them later.

I dont want to sound like Wyatt Earp, thats not the case, I respect everyones decision to ride / run / drive / sleep etc armed or not - my personal decision is to have a firearm on me or in my vicinity 90% of my day - thats my decision, yours and others milage may vary.

Well, I could ask you, how do you know how ANY situation will turn out.? The truth is nobody do's, you judge situations as they evolve and react accordingly.

Yeah, well, I can tell you just as many stories where the opposite was true, everyone has a story, usually very selective.!

Carrying a weapon is a personal choice, I choose to carry one, you dont have to if you choose not to, lets not get all self rightious and start telling others how to live their lives.

Well, I always buy a lottery ticket with the hope that I will be prepared when they ring the doorbell. The chance of that happening is slim and the chance that I will be expecting it even smaller. Kind of similar to the chance of me anticipating an attack on my favourite piece of singletrack.

:lol: :lol: - Ha, Ha, yeah, - well , we can live in hope can we not.!?

Sure, to answer -

1) D**n right theres a round in the chamber.

Have you given thought to what might happen if you crash and some kids find you?what will they do with said fire arm?

I am just asking.

someone is either guns, bikes, mobile phones or money, and pretty much standard fare around this neck of the woods, I think they would have been surprised if he had a weapon, but thats not going to stop them asking for it.

Nick said they were surprised he did not have a gun. In my case the 1st thing they demanded was where was my gun, seemed pretty mad when they did not find one.

Have you given thought to what might happen if you crash and some kids find you?what will they do with said fire arm?

I am just asking.

Fair enough, but have you thought what some kids might do if they find you left your car keys in your vehicle, or what some kids might do if they found your cigar lighter, or you forgot a pot of boiling oil on the stove?....I know what you mean, but no-one can cover every eventuality in life, I am a father just the same as you probably, I would never do something to harm a child intentionally and like most parents I taught my kids from a young age not to play with guns, cars, lighters, poisons etc, .........but, every year hundreds of kids knock boiling water over themselves, are paasengers in runaway cars, start fires, drink poison, etc, etc no adult wantonly allows that to happen - but yeah, it do's, and of course I think about it, I take as many precautions as possible like keeping the safety on, keeping it holstered, keeping it concealed and I hope that other responsible parents teach their kids the same.........more than that, we cant do.