Kids & Supplements

Ysterman

A friend of mine's son is in std 9 and very active - rugby, athletics, gym, etc. & very good at it as well!

He's fairly concerned about his body (also a history with someone calling him a fatty couple years ago) and watches his diet (13% body fat). Sounds like he did get some diet advice from somebody, but lately he complains that he hasn't got enough energy.

They know that I get my supplements from a certain shop in Jburg and asked me for the details - but I'm a bit hesitant ...

First question is should kids take supplements? And if ok - surely it must me through professionals that can access personal requirements ... not just "one size fits all"

And who would be the best to see?

A physician for a thorough checkup then a nutritionist for advice. Bit silly to go straight to supplements, IMHO.

Agree with taps - GP can probably also organise some blood tests to rule out anything obvious. Also check the basics - enough sleep, enough protein and enough kilojoules.

Ysterman

I think supplements are vital and that any active body could do with replenishing.

I think your post is awesome as it will raise a lot of questions and is an issue of concern.

Personally I would not give my kids any supplements till they leave school.

At that age they recover quick enough and I personally think that a good diet will put back most lost nutrients.

My parents fed me a raw egg in a glass of milk with vanilla essence when I used to do a lot of sports.

A physician for a thorough checkup then a nutritionist for advice. Bit silly to go straight to supplements, IMHO.

My thoughts as well ...

I have a suspicion that they did see someone, not sure of its a GP or dietitian already ...

Can I point them in a direction of someone that deals with sports nutrition for school kids?

feeling tired in a young person normally means they overdoing it. There aint no supplements for rest. Also, if he is watching his carb intake, what's his daily limit? He might be undercooking his carb limit and have to increase it. As they say: fat burns in a carb flame. But personally, I just feel he needs to lay off some activities and give his body a chance to recover properly. Sometimes we forget we need to rest to make our gains.

i was told suppliments to a body under 16 years is dangerous. with that being said a lack of energy can come froma number of thiins and can be improved with certain vitamins and minerals, does not necessary need to use any "stronger" suppliments.

I am not a doctor and can only speak from my own experience. I was diagnosed with hyperlipodemia (high cholesterol) at the age of 27. My cholesterol count was 10.5. I was not overweight or obese at all, I stand at 1.70 meters tall and weighed 70kg. It was genetics courtesy of my father...

If you say that this kid was fat, then he could also be a candidate for high cholesterol based on diet and family history. The best thing to do is to go and have a thorough blood test done and see what Pathcare sends back. If he is low on energy then he could also possibly be showing signs of being a diabetic. I am not meaning to scare anyone, but this is often the case for people with high cholesterol.

Its a known fact that most people in South Africa (and the world over) do not know their own cholesterol levels and have never actually been tested :(

Not meaning to deviate off the topic of supplements, just wanted to raise a potential issue. On the subject of supplements, before you take them you are meant to consult your GP anyway, as indicated on the product label.. Im sure none of us really have?

Problem with giving supplements to kids is that they develop the muscles of an adult but still have the tendons of a kid - big recipe for injury and cutting careers short.

See a dietitian and stay away from the powders !!!

feeling tired in a young person normally means they overdoing it. There aint no supplements for rest. Also, if he is watching his carb intake, what's his daily limit? He might be undercooking his carb limit and have to increase it. As they say: fat burns in a carb flame. But personally, I just feel he needs to lay off some activities and give his body a chance to recover properly. Sometimes we forget we need to rest to make our gains.

Good point about the rest thing ... I've become very good at that :)

I'd say don't. Speak off, not to hijack the thread because this is also supplement related. Heard yesterday from my boss that Affies "hoof" (Dean/Deon Edwards. ex blue bulls) said none of this Beeld Trofee , rugby schoolboys doping crap in his school. If anyone wants to compete in Beeld Trofee, they can go elsewhere, and Affies are only playing friendlies now.