XT PROBLEMS!!!!

jcvwburger

Hi all,, my bike came out with full XT, bought July this year,,, after 3months of riding i started to encounter problems with shifting,, took her back,, got new cabling,, checked the hanger, changed the cassette,changed the chain, adjusted shifters, but nothing helped,,

You see when shifting into an easier gear it doesn't shift, you need to sort of help it along! now my LBS says thats XT!

any views or advice would be appreciated.

Thanx

now my LBS says thats XT!

Cr@p, There is nothing wrong with XT. over 5000km on my bike and I only changed the chain, cassette and front chainring 100km ago. Get a new shop.

There is luckily a cure for this. They call it SRAM

Bloody agent... i had sram on my previous bike and NO problems!!! so...i mean XT is a reliable hassle free groupset,, WTF?

my mate has had endless hassles with his SRAM. perhaps the guys at your LBS are not doing a proper job fixing it. and that's not XT. one of the most reliable groupsets around. visit another LBS and chat to them...

i am sram but logic tells me that a xt setup should not give you this much trouble.i suggest get a second opinion as this does not sound right.

Hi all,, my bike came out with full XT, bought July this year,,, after 3months of riding i started to encounter problems with shifting,, took her back,, got new cabling,, checked the hanger, changed the cassette,changed the chain, adjusted shifters, but nothing helped,,

You see when shifting into an easier gear it doesn't shift, you need to sort of help it along! now my LBS says thats XT!

any views or advice would be appreciated.

Thanx

Absolute cr@p. They are saying Shimano can't design a derailleur that can shift? ****ing idiots. Find a new LBS.

I had a problem with a derailleur doing the same and the LBS looked at it and finally decided it was a manufacturing fault (either the spring was stuffed or the joints too tight). They just sent it back and demanded a new one. Problem fixed.

XT is definately the most robust of the Shi(t)mano range. You need to narrow it down to the shifter or dereuleur that is faulty:

Easy way to narrow the problem down is to release the cable tention on the dereuleur and see if the shifting is working smoothly or not. If it shifts smoothly with no tention on the cable, it should be the dereuleur.

Did you perhaps knock the dereuleur or had a fall? It could be that you damaged the swingarm or the spring.

If the dereuleur has external damage to it, you'll not get far with agents replacing it.

Shimano systems suffer where cable routing is not ideal - the result - cable friction.

On some bikes cable routing is so, and especially on full suspensions, that even with brand new cables and housing, shifting suffers...

SRAM has a different ratio and allows more movement between gears at the shifter, which is more forgiving. In other words, if there's resistance when shifting, you can micro shift PAST the engagement point on that gear to pull the der up a bit more, and then shift back one click to have good alignment. But my experience with SRAM is that your housing and cable needs to be VERY mucked up before that kind of resistance exists.

I'm VERY full of nonsens when it comes to that and even the slightest friction when shifting is unacceptable to me, so on our new Anthem X0's for instance the std routing caused shifting resistance and I changed the housing to full length and changed the cable route to be as straight as possible. (down down-tube, underneath BB and straight to der)

On the XT bike shifting was better than before, but still too stiff because of Shimano's need for an extra bend before the cable enters the rear der. Now changed the XT bike to SRAM also and shifting is light and accurate because with a SRAM rear der, the cable entry is straight... see pic.

XT is fine, but with all Shimano systems, you need slick cable movement. Don't be afraid to change the cable routing on your bike if there's too many bends in the route. Get it as straight as possible, and leave enough slack to allow full suspension movement...and make sure it doesn't get caught in your front chainrings if following the underneath BB route...

post-3074-072732100 1287988836.jpg

XT is definately the most robust of the Shi(t)mano range. You need to narrow it down to the shifter or dereuleur that is faulty:

Easy way to narrow the problem down is to release the cable tention on the dereuleur and see if the shifting is working smoothly or not. If it shifts smoothly with no tention on the cable, it should be the dereuleur.

Did you perhaps knock the dereuleur or had a fall? It could be that you damaged the swingarm or the spring.

If the dereuleur has external damage to it, you'll not get far with agents replacing it.

NO damage what so ever,, thats the best part of all,,

Shimano systems suffer where cable routing is not ideal - the result - cable friction.

On some bikes cable routing is so, and especially on full suspensions, that even with brand new cables and housing, shifting suffers...

SRAM has a different ratio and allows more movement between gears at the shifter, which is more forgiving. In other words, if there's resistance when shifting, you can micro shift PAST the engagement point on that gear to pull the der up a bit more, and then shift back one click to have good alignment. But my experience with SRAM is that your housing and cable needs to be VERY mucked up before that kind of resistance exists.

I'm VERY full of nonsens when it comes to that and even the slightest friction when shifting is unacceptable to me, so on our new Anthem X0's for instance the std routing caused shifting resistance and I changed the housing to full length and changed the cable route to be as straight as possible. (down down-tube, underneath BB and straight to der)

On the XT bike shifting was better than before, but still too stiff because of Shimano's need for an extra bend before the cable enters the rear der. Now changed the XT bike to SRAM also and shifting is light and accurate because with a SRAM rear der, the cable entry is straight... see pic.

XT is fine, but with all Shimano systems, you need slick cable movement. Don't be afraid to change the cable routing on your bike if there's too many bends in the route. Get it as straight as possible, and leave enough slack to allow full suspension movement...and make sure it doesn't get caught in your front chainrings if following the underneath BB route...

re-routing was done,, with bend @ rear der. i ride a gt zaskar, and i made sure there was enough bends/straighting where needed. upgraded to XTR cabling

aswell!

now my LBS says thats XT!

Who is your lbs?

Been riding XT for a year now and never once had a problem.Done quite a few kilo's in mud and also no problems.

I ride 2 bikes with SRAM X9 and 2 with Shimano (LX and XT) and some of them have many many k's on them, When clean and well setup they work fine. Been riding SRAM since 2004 .....

IMHO the only difference is that SRAM will shift slightly better in mud, having said that like with mud tyres it also gets to a point at times (SabieX ....) where there is so much it doesn't matter :(

I agree that your LBS should get their act together and find the problem. Even better learn to sort it yourself :unsure:

Hi Brighter-Lights

I see you've even colour-coded your energy drink to your rear deraileur - wow!