It had to happen - Got Knocked riding in this morning

Spat

Now that is true.

About 7 months ago a Lady driver over took me and will her kid is looking at me and saying " look mommy a bike " She turns with out indicating.

Had to replace my dt-swiss xr1450.

I gave her a call to tell her about the damage and she told me I should look where I am going.

A switch blade to her 4 tyres would have made me feel extremly better if that was what her attitude was

90% of people think indicators is an optional extra when buying a car. Some miraculously discover them while they turn, most drivers are too lazy to bother using it...

I take it that you give the appropriate hand signals every time you want to turn or stop on the bike as well - or does the right thing only apply to motorists? laugh.gif

Really glad you ok man.

Had close calls a few times like this.

People cut in front of you and then turn directly in front of you.

Lock up your brakes and slide sideways and hope for the best.

I now often jump into the middle of the traffic and cycle like a car if I need to.

On the law of averages, accidents are unfortunately bound to happen. Fortunately, when I got knocked over earlier in the year, the lady did show both concern and compassion. She wanted to take me to hospital (JHB Gen of all places) but having had a stint at the Union in January, I am all done with hospitals for the next 30 years if I can help it. :unsure: I was just too happy to be able to get back on the bike and ride the other 28 km home. A bath, bit of mercurochrome, and some good strong coffee and I was sorted.

Long story short, she was happy to pay for the damage to the bike and was very appologetic too. :thumbup:

Then again, that is rare these days and I often wonder why I don't kick more car doors in, until I remember that it takes too long to unclip for that to happen. :(

Be happy that you are OK with minimal damage to the bike. ;)

Very happy to hear you're OK...

Thinking back on the incident now, is there anything you'll do differently in future to reduce the risk of this happening again? What lesson have you learnt and what advice can you give?

Edited by Eraser

I take it that you give the appropriate hand signals every time you want to turn or stop on the bike as well - or does the right thing only apply to motorists? laugh.gif

On my bike no, it did come with indicators and lights which I do use :P

Glad it was not too serious Spat. Cape Town drivers are, "Like, Bru, shoo man, I did'nt see you there."

Was nearly taken out by a truck last week. Then had words with a gentleman who swore at me on the main road. He backed down, but I will only ride today again. 6 days off the bike just to shake that bad adrenal buzz off.

Good mental healing to you.

had pretty much the same thing the other day, except the wonman didnt even put on her indicator...i think i broke her mirror atleast :thumbup: > nothing happend to me :clap:

There was a news item from the Uk last week asking cyclists not to pass large vehicles on the left as they cant see & will knock you off if they turn left.

Same in traffic, I dont think its always the driver's fault if a cyclist is going faster than a car on their inside (undertaking?)& they bump them turning left.

There was a news item from the Uk last week asking cyclists not to pass large vehicles on the left as they cant see & will knock you off if they turn left.

Same in traffic, I dont think its always the driver's fault if a cyclist is going faster than a car on their inside (undertaking?)& they bump them turning left.

Interesting...

This is what I was asking for above when I questioned whether the OP would change his riding style/habits....

I also got run over by a lady a couple of months ago in the Tygerberg area. I was in her blind spot when she turned in front of me. I can't remember seeing an indicator...

But she did stop. Twice actually. I said I was ok and that she could go. She did, but then she thought better of it and came back. By now the shock wore off a bit and I realized my knee was not going to help me cycle back home.

So I was quite grateful when she offered to take me home.