Bicycling Mag - Pull your socks up!

Eldron

I stopped buying the mag 2 years ago.I used to be a subscriber and did not renew my subscription.Reading Tread and Ride with the odd UK mag when the finances are good.I would rather spend more money on a good mag than less money on something crap.I do not know how to solve the problem , but that does not say that there is no problem.At least they are still doing a bike mag.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped buying the mag 2 years ago.I used to be a subscriber and did not renew my subscription.Reading Tread and Ride with the odd UK mag when the finances are good.I would rather spend more money on a good mag than less money on something crap.I do not know how to solve the problem , but that does not say that there is no problem.At least they are still doing a bike mag.

Yeah yeah agreed.

The worst is that bicycling mag has heard these sort of complaints before, and have responded by saying that they have had a very successful year sales wise, so basically to hell with us!

So to hell we go to spend our cash on Ride and Tread mags!

Alas, no…but something just as cool. Worth R80K :D

A Pivot, nice. Maybe then I could on some of those R2400 Ti rotors from CWC.

I see Sonic is one of the winners of the Fox hamper. Congrats dude. :clap:

Edited by Mampara

For a general cycling mag, Ride is the leader by far. Adele Tait is an enthusiastic and involved member of the cycling community. Just what is required for a good editor...

Come on! The Bicycling editor guy keeps it real! This month's 'letter from the editor' is all about how his weekly single speed rides. Ok, he doesn't actually have one, but they don't use their sti's for the whole ride! First one to change up has to eat the soggy croissant.

It was interesting that I went thru Ride and Bicycling magazine for past 3 years and I only find "one" interesting page of the magazine in each month.

I would like to hear more about:-

- Contador's butcher's meat

- Reports of Commonwealth games (Riders feedback)

- Reports of John Lee, Daryl and Robert Hunter thru out the year

- Local league races report

- CSA news

- Local SA Agents comments about CRC and CWC

- Many more...

It was interesting that I went thru Ride and Bicycling magazine for past 3 years and I only find "one" interesting page of the magazine in each month.

- Contador's butcher's meat - read it quicker on cyclingnews.com

- Reports of Commonwealth games (Riders feedback) - go to rider's twiter/blogs

- Reports of John Lee, Daryl and Robert Hunter thru out the year - ditto

- Local league races report - ride reports here will tell you more, or just ask

- CSA news - who's CSA?

- Local SA Agents comments about CRC and CWC - they probably wouldn't want to utter a word with cases pending

- Many more...

the media channel that print journalists had exclusive access to cycling issues that would sell a magazine are not as defined as they used to be. You can see that bicycling.co.za have tried by pushing an online presence. Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't.

- CSA news

Get in line buddy, there are a million of us waiting on words from CSA!

I sent the duplication posting to Mike and we have had a few emails back and forth - the gist is this:

They sell 3 times as many mags as their nearest competitor using the existing model and will not be changing it.

That said they want to start growing the magazine and have some interesting stuff for next year.

Personally I hope they manage to build on the existing model to make it more interesting for the intermediate/experienced cyclist who doesn't see value in the usual lose weight now/get super fast/argus build up/94.7 build up/training plans style info.

They have the potential and resources to create an awesome mag.

Until then I am going to try and stop buying the mag on emotional impulse and vote with my wallet!

Ride will continue to be a monthly staple with Tread featuring when I find it.

I sent the duplication posting to Mike and we have had a few emails back and forth - the gist is this:

They sell 3 times as many mags as their nearest competitor using the existing model and will not be changing it.

That said they want to start growing the magazine and have some interesting stuff for next year.

Personally I hope they manage to build on the existing model to make it more interesting for the intermediate/experienced cyclist who doesn't see value in the usual lose weight now/get super fast/argus build up/94.7 build up/training plans style info.

They have the potential and resources to create an awesome mag.

Until then I am going to try and stop buying the mag on emotional impulse and vote with my wallet!

Ride will continue to be a monthly staple with Tread featuring when I find it.

I'm sorry, but do they think people are stupid? Regurgitating articles from a year go? Their "business model" needs agood look at. They're losing this reader.

Why would you need to grow a magazine even more if you're already selling 3 x more than your nearest competitor?

Interesting stuff for next year? I'm sorry I'll be missing it.....:(