Compression socks

Garfield2010

I am interested to hear what you guys think. I purchased Zoot socks and have to say that they do wonders for my running. No more sore calves. I havent found a difference when it comes to cycling though. They are just a bloody nightmare to put on!!

On multi day events, tri's and if training daily this stuff does wonders.

Just beware of cheaper brands, nothing more than tight lycra.

You need to get the proper but unfortunately expensive stuff ie. Zoot, 2XU, Bsc, Zensah, Skins etc.

If they work so well how come non of the top 15 men at IronMan Hawaii used them :unsure:

I'm just asking the question???

If they work so well how come non of the top 15 men at IronMan Hawaii used them :unsure:

I'm just asking the question???

hmmm..... <_<

Yes, I got them from Troi.

Well I can think of a couple of reasons why the top 15 did not use them:-

1. It takes an age to put on (especially after the swim

2. If you train like those guys do, your calves dont get sore

I think the socks is perfect for someone like me only training on the treadmill until raceday. Running on roads hurts your calves if you are not used to it. Have to say that the socks really work FOR ME!

there is no scientific proof that compression garments help DURING exercise but there is significant results using it POST exercise! it aids recovery in a big way!!

there is no scientific proof that compression garments help DURING exercise but there is significant results using it POST exercise! it aids recovery in a big way!!

I did the 30km walk this past Sunday in Ct. Man, My legs were flipping sore after that!! (even my cycling muscles hurt like hell straight during & after finishing...)

I used those compression socks fot about 3 hours afterwards and boy o boy, placebo effect or not...I could feel a remarkable improvement in my stiffness and soreness!! Did not take it away entirely, but by Tue I could walk decently again!

So, there must be some truth in them working...

As for the tri athletes in Hawaii...I think they only use them post event?

I guess there are multiple reasons why people use them. Me for instance, I have varicose veins in my lower left leg (had a thrombosis years ago and it;s also part of the family ailments) anyways. Without the socks my ankle is swollen, leg feels "heavy" and painful at times. and on my calf there are these brown spots. I wear compression socks during the day and when exercising. No swelling, no pain. it assists the bloodflow. it definetely works, for me at least

Even though I'm a middle to lower of the pack type of rider at the moment, I wear them at races as well, often get strange looks from fellow-riders, but what the heck.

The main idea when using these for sports, is to assist in recovery, but it can be used during an event as well.

Edited by RudoJ

I have a pair of Zoot's for my calves and use them on long rides, find it is better than putting them on afterwards to recover-but that's a persoanl thing. Unfortunately Zoot doesnt make for Qquads so got the Q ones from Troi and will try them out. But for me Zoot works on the bike. I have had a look at some other and they just look like lycra.Look at the pressure that it is supposed to provide and that should tell u if they are worth it.

Fact: The top guys do not use it.

Fact: There is no scientific proof to substantiate the use of garments that actually constricts blood flow. (Blood flow is needed to carry oxygen and nutrients to muscles and to carry waste products away).

Fact: Advertisement can convince people that anything I good.

RudoJ is correct though, it helps reduce the effect of varicose veins.

If your blood vessels are fine, do not mess them up by compressing them. Leave your blood supply alone. It is cheaper too!

:clap:

Ryan Sandes, the best ultra trail runner in the world wears them for training, racing and recovery. I find that if I run hard in them, my recovery is quicker than without.

My understanding is that there is scientific proof that they speed up recovery. There is a study being carried out at present from the Two Oceans Ultra and the use of compression gear, I will look for the info.

Fact: The top guys do not use it.

Fact: There is no scientific proof to substantiate the use of garments that actually constricts blood flow. (Blood flow is needed to carry oxygen and nutrients to muscles and to carry waste products away).

Fact: Advertisement can convince people that anything I good.

RudoJ is correct though, it helps reduce the effect of varicose veins.

If your blood vessels are fine, do not mess them up by compressing them. Leave your blood supply alone. It is cheaper too!

If they didn't do something positive, people with DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) would not wear them!

I used them for a niggling calf injury. Have you heard of R.I.C.E.?

It has nothing to do with blood vessels. It helps keep the muscles in a relaxed state helping them rest. Athletes with blood vessel problems... :o