SRAM Rival vs Shimano 105

rattlesnake

Hi Guys

Building my first road bike.... splashing out on a carbon frame so my price range for a groupset is R4-6k...

Which groupset is better, SRAM Rival or Shimano 105?

I have read some blogs suggesting that the SRAM is better and 400g lighter.

Wouldn't mind some input from hubbers in the know.

Thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand 105 is more durable :blink: . hard to say though, maybe the weight thing is your fancy, then go with the one which is lighter.

i understand 105 is more durable :blink: . hard to say though, maybe the weight thing is your fancy, then go with the one which is lighter.

Thnx, I am a bit of a weight weenie...:D

Thnx, I am a bit of a weight weenie...:D

but at the same time you don't want to splash out on a Rival groupo for weight but the 105 would outlast the Rival

Although I want to get a Force or Ultegra groupo one day when I am big.

Edited by SirK

but at the same time you don't want to splash out on a Rival groupo for weight but the 105 would outlast the Rival

Although I want to get a Force or Ultegra groupo one day when I am big.

Rival is R5700 on CWC and Shimano 105 R5450 on Buycycle, so no real price difference....

Go for Rival!

Rival is on par with Ultegra... you wont be sorry, SRAM all the way!

Thnx Tarmac, i was leaning that way :thumbup:

What crap!!! Rival is by no means less durable than 105!

Rival is awesome! I have many many miles on my Rival Training grouppo and not a days problems :D

And... Rattlesnake, I will do a killer deal on Rival for you at R4 995.00 including FREE installation as you are in GP :clap:

12 month warranty on the Grouppo standard :thumbup:

What crap!!! Rival is by no means less durable than 105!

Rival is awesome! I have many many miles on my Rival Training grouppo and not a days problems :D

And... Rattlesnake, I will do a killer deal on Rival for you at R4 995.00 including FREE installation as you are in GP :clap:

12 month warranty on the Grouppo standard :thumbup:

That's an awesome price Kieran, thanks, Will PM u in the coming week, having the bike built up at a shop, so will check with them what they can do the rival for.

Thanks a mil

Buy the Rival groupo,swop out the cassette and chain immediately, for the Force stuff.

Will cost about R400. but its a helava lot lighter...

Leave the fishing stuff to the fishermen

Article in the mountain biking uk.

Sram or shimano?

gearheads can argue the toss until the cow come home. But our experience with the big 'S' competitors is that there's little to choose between them when you buy from new.

As the miles pile on though, we reckon that shimano's floating top jockey wheel rear mech design helps compensate for a bit of wear and tear and keep rear shifts sweeter for longer.