94.7 "Good on you" thread

MaxUmis

I think we should all thank the Joburg residents who allow us to have the full road closure, if it were not for the residents patience and tolerance this race would never survive. I think the cycle challenge office should put a full page add in The Star to thank them

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The You Make Joburg great signs - oh and the holders of the signs too :D

Those sign holders definately make Joburg great

I think we should all thank the Joburg residents who allow us to have the full road closure, if it were not for the residents patience and tolerance this race would never survive. I think the cycle challenge office should put a full page add in The Star to thank them

Nice idea - especially in the light of this article - http://www.thedailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2010-11-23-the-cycling-mafia-strikes-again

The 94.7 was the first time since being knocked over by a drunk motorist whilst cycling four years ago and breaking both legs that I've been back on a road bike and must say I thoroughly enjoyed the race. Not having cycled for so long I started at the back instead of being seeded in the A-E bunch. You see the race from a different perspective from the back of the race. It's also the first time I stopped at any of the water points, so thanks to:

1. All the volunteers at the water point for being so efficient, cheerful and supportive :clap: ,

2. All the cyclists who cycle at the back, many on their own, in the heat and the wind, without big bunches to hang on to!

3. The fellow cyclists I met and chatted along the way,

4. The spectators that cheered and provided encouragement,

5. To the cyclists who pushed and encouraged the slower riders,

6. To the marshalls and police who put up with sometimes irate motorists and

7. To everyone involved in the organisation.

Will be back next year!!

To the physio ladies at the water points... THANK YOU. The healing hands and awesome "gees" got me to the end of the race!

Same goes for the support from other cyclists on the road when the knee decided it had enough of the race...

The people of Jo'burg... you made me proud to say I used to be one of you

To the people who makes this race happen... I'll see you again next year! :thumbup:

My first one and definately not the last!!

Thanx to:

1. The big traffic cone I went over without falling. (made me realize to enjoy the ride, rather than taking it too seriously).

2. The organinizers and sponsors for organizing such a big event!

3. The people along the route, encouraging everyone to keep going. (especially the hills)

4. The well-stationed waterpoints and their friendly people!!

5. The Bar-One Stand (being at the right place at the right time.

6. The beautifull dancing girls!! Wow!! You let me forget about my cramps and the heat for a while.

7. The guy on the N14, pulling in behind me and giving me a bit of a push, encouraging me to keep going! Dude you came at the right time!!

8. The goodie bag...

9. The painted warnings on the road.

10. And I could go on an on....

Awesome race!! Will be back next year. Hopefully with a sub 4 time.

I think the fund raising initiatives that come out of this event are incredible and far over shadows the negativity surrounding the expo / event. Its one hell of a spectacle and we should be proud as South African's to have a race of this size on our doorstep, not even the yanks are bigger and better than this! Well done for starting a positive thread :thumbup:

I guess I haven't become jaded like some others, but the 94.7 is still one of my favourite races.

- Sunday was my 50th cycle race :thumbup:

- Personal best, despite being injured for 6 weeks in June/July.

- Getting a photo with Phil 'The Voice' at the finish.

- Smiling Metro Cops all along the route.

- Going down to the Zoo to watch riders in the heat of the day, with a long way to go, but still with smiles on their faces.

- Painless parking and no traffic to get home.

Big up to the hand cyclists! RESPECT!

Appologies to the guy whose waterbottle I rode over on Ponte Hill, next time give me warning and I'll miss it :rolleyes:

To all the supporters :thumbup:

- the tailwind on the n14 - don't think i've ever had that

- the icy cold powerade (with pieces of ice in) after the MTB ride

- the massage at teh pinkdrive tent afterwards

- the loop in the city

- jan smuts

I had a awesome ride from the start to the finish it was great :clap: :clap:

only suggestions would be maybe some shade at start and more dustbins in the start pens further down ;)

...to the lady and her young daughter in the Blue Hills vicinity...holding a Tupperware container and handing out chunks of watermelon. Your kindness, forethought and being part of the event made a kodak-moment for me. You will most likely never read this post or even know that at least one of the thousands of cyclists appreciated your gesture...but surely your kharma has grown ten-fold!