C'Mon, Rider... Tell Your DC Team Story Here!

'Dale

I have nevva raced this event.

And is very intrigued by the challenge of team racing 202 kms.

There must be some exciting, juicy, and dramatic team stories to be shared here on the ol' Hub.

C'mon - Give It Up Now! :w00t:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6MzwL0pZ0s4/SwzXLKnY7PI/AAAAAAAAAII/WtGwayIz0-o/s400/P1010348.JPG Edited by AirBender

SirK and myself was in the same team. Took us a leisurely 9 hrs10 min (or therabouts) to do the route. This included about an hour of standing time due to punctures, meal breaks and rider (one) fatique.

Wind on section from Robertson was quite bad, team tired and going slow. Tradoux pass and Up de Tradoux was not too bad, with the latter being the worst. At the end of the day a nice day of endurance training done (Burger will feel like a walk in the park now <_< ). Good experience and actually a stunning route.

Rode the section up to Robertson again in the car on the way home. It rained all night long and the water was flowing all over with waterfalls coming off the mountain as far as you can see . STUNNING. :clap: :clap:

Edited by Wannabe

I don't really have 'a story' -- but it was quite EPIC for me to see the Daikin team taking there place behind the lead vehicle! Winning the DC is one thing, but to actually be the first team to finish, after starting 2nd from last ... is amazing!

And I think I will start another thread for this -- but i really think it would be useful to compile a 'handbook' for (have never cycled, never raced) riders of back up vehicles! I think some of them could do with well intended guidelines (ie -- don't stop your back up vehicle in a place where your team has already passed :blush: )

Ronelle,

Pictures also tell a story... Got any? :drool:

... nah ... only about 5 000 (or whatever fills 40Gb) :drool:

We have just arrived home Airbender -- and i'm trying to clear stuff off my hard drive to try and get this downloaded successfully -- so will post some asap

We raced a mixed team of 12 which included 3 very string ladies !! The sole objective of the entire group was for all of us to finish.. which we did in just under 8 hours simply because we supported each other through every pedal stroke along every km...

The braai afterwards was good and the company we kept; excellent. Lotsa good old fashioned chirping.

Just like the team was on the road. No moaning or groaning, just helpful chirps and encouragement. Also; the most Afrikaans (it was probably the 6pack of Pilsner Urquell I downed) I've spoken in 20 years.......long chats with the farmer whose house we stayed in :D :D

I'll be back next year for sure... absolutely loved it, even if I suffered most of the way. Our team was awesome! Williams Bike Shop :thumbup:

It was my first ever DC and what a "race/event". We only met our 7 team mates the friday evening. I must admit we manage to jell nicely and where more or less on the same fittnes levels... we managed to do it in 8:10 all 12 of us. I was just inside my comfort zones and enjoyed the scenery and cameradrie to the fullest.... i do recommend :clap:

I think a very good idea to compile a "check/to do list/not to do list"

nr1. instruct your back up driver and his passenger not to ditch their litter over the guard rail

anywhere on the route.(well known bike shop in T view).

I was part of the "Coronation Idols" that started first and ended last.

The time on my GPS was 10:29:45 but I didn't get an official time.

Due to punctures and people in and out of the backup vehicle, I rode the last 40km as a Individual Time Trial. Hurt like hell up the 3 Sisters but fantastic to say that I have ridden 202km in one day.

The greatest thing about the event is the spirit on the road. EVERY team greated, waved, chirped and seemed to be having a good time out there.

The wind was tough, but it IS the Western Cape, so one should expect it. Cooling rain at the start could have got us into trouble but some wise heads slowed us down.

I was lucky enough to ride with David Bellairs, Vanessa Haywood, Mike Finch and Liezel van der Westhuizen, all super-athletes. We took it easy just to have fun. We even stopped for coffee in Montagu. FYI, greatest Capuccino on the planet.

Will I be back next year? OF COURSE. Sub 8!

PS: A big thank you to The Cycle Shop in Swellendam for opening up specially for me to buy a new skewer for my back wheel which was lost in the transport.

Also, thank you to SAA for looking after my bike after my bike box got rained all over on Saturday night.

Edited by BBJSportGuy

nr1. instruct your back up driver and his passenger not to ditch their litter over the guard rail

anywhere on the route.(well known bike shop in T view).

OH NO........ :thumbdown: :thumbdown: