Broken collar bone question

chris_w_65

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke mine properly in early August 2011, had it plated, got on the idt 2 weeks later, got on the road bike 6 weeks later, carefully got on the mtb 2 weeks later, carefully rode W2W in November 2011. Plate still in. Now not giving any issues exept in cold weather when it aches a bit. Gave up jumping the bigger stuff in deference to my age and newfound wisdom.

Overhead activities that rotates the clavicle (eg. serving in tennis) is the worst type of early activity. If a locking ( rather than traditional plate) is used I think you should be OK. A lot depens on the degree of comminution, quality of fixation, exact location of fracture etc. so your Surgeon must give the final OK

All my nerve damage has healed. Apart from the race car seat belt my car seat belt is also uncomfortable, what makes it worse is that it is a 2 door and the seatbelt comes from far back.

i havent bumped into a 'normal' skier that has broken a collarbone, your nature of your falls is a bit different.

in saying that. my friends bones didnt bind and he had to go for another op and wait another 6-8 weeks to come right.

Broke mine 28 July 2011, had 5 operations.

1. Repaired, plate with 7 screwes

2. Bone does not want to grow, hospital bone marrow does not work, plate with 6 crewes.

3. Bone grows, bone marrow taken from my hip, plate with 9 screwes

4. Plate removed after 6 months.Got home from hospital and bone just snapped.

5. Plated again.

Its been 3 months since my last operation and my collar bone feel 100%

I will leave the plate in.

post-23300-0-19250500-1352968898_thumb.jpg

post-23300-0-82260500-1352968917_thumb.jpg

post-23300-0-39401400-1352968930_thumb.jpg

post-23300-0-92152400-1352968938_thumb.jpg

post-23300-0-05426900-1352968956_thumb.jpg

Edited by SCOTT FOIL

Hi guys. Had the op two days ago. Pretty painful. Gonna drink lots of milk and do any rehab proper.... here's hoping in 7 weeks I'm strong like bull again?

Hi guys. Had the op two days ago. Pretty painful. Gonna drink lots of milk and do any rehab proper.... here's hoping in 7 weeks I'm strong like bull again?

Hi MK K

Don't hesitate to take painkillers for the first few days, especially to make you more comfortable at night. The better you can sleep, the sooner you'll feel better too. A sleeping tablet will also help. I'm sure you have it in a decent sling. Just chill the first week and try get as much rest as you can.

Hi MK K

Don't hesitate to take painkillers for the first few days, especially to make you more comfortable at night. The better you can sleep, the sooner you'll feel better too. A sleeping tablet will also help. I'm sure you have it in a decent sling. Just chill the first week and try get as much rest as you can.

Thanks DJR. 5 daus in and im feeling pretty good. Bit of pain at night but otherwise ok.... hoping for record recovery time

My shoulder was done the morning, out the next day. 2weeks later on idt and 4 weeks outside on mtb. Everybody said i must start with my roadbike, but mtb was much softer. 29 December its been 2 years and shoulder still saw and some numb spots on my shoulder. Not going to remove the plate as it will leave me out of action again for a few weeks and i see it as reinforcement for when ifall again! Speedy recovery for you though.

My shoulder was done the morning, out the next day. 2weeks later on idt and 4 weeks outside on mtb. Everybody said i must start with my roadbike, but mtb was much softer. 29 December its been 2 years and shoulder still saw and some numb spots on my shoulder. Not going to remove the plate as it will leave me out of action again for a few weeks and i see it as reinforcement for when ifall again! Speedy recovery for you though.

Thanks Jorsie.

Tell me how long was it before you got full range of motion back in your shoulder? Was it after this 4 week period? Not sure if you are a gym bunny but how long was it till you could do the same kind of strenuous activity with your shoulder as you did before?

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks Jorsie.

Tell me how long was it before you got full range of motion back in your shoulder? Was it after this 4 week period? Not sure if you are a gym bunny but how long was it till you could do the same kind of strenuous activity with your shoulder as you did before?

I still can't 2 years on....but it was properly buggered up.

Broke mine on the 22 October 4 days before Burg & Bush. Plate and screws in on the Wednesday. Surgeon told me I could ride road within 4 weeks but no MTB for 6 weeks. I did the 94, 7 3 days short of the 4 weeks. Had to ride slow and the bumpy road hurt like hell.

I have done a lot of googling on speeding up the healing of fractured bones. As I also am booked of for 6 weeks. I am planning (or rather hoping) to make this the most productive 6 weeks in healing time as I can.

Here is a few pointers: (Although this is is written for women, I am sure it will work for men too)smile.png .

In further searches the following were also mentioned:

• Don't drink alcohol
  • Don't smoke

http://www.womentowomen.com/bonehealth/speedbonefracturehealing.aspx

Thanks Jorsie.

Its like a crashed car, never the same again! In the winter its saw and i find it now after almost 2 years that when i sleep on that shoulder too long at night, that aches a lot! Luckily you cant even see my scar anymore, had a very good dr!

post-39156-0-43949400-1353767078_thumb.jpg