Tsitsikamma MTB - Holiday Rides?

flymango

Seems as if the options are Harkerville and Misty Cliffs. Former seems to be +- 120km from Eerste Rivier, and the latter about 40km. Saw RodTi's write-up about Harkerville. Anybody done both? How does Misty Cliffs compare? Don't really feel like driving an hour each way to do a trail unless some Hubbers advise otherwise. Thanks.

No one here has mentioned petrus se brand, I did it last year and it was unbelievable!

Just before knysna take a right onto the uniondale road. This eventually becomes a dirt road. climb all the way until the forest station, get you ticket and there is a path back down again which comes out at the garden of eden.

UNBELIEVABLE

Get a permit to ride in the forests and you wont get bored. I used to spend a lot of time in the hills. There is a hiking trail from Witbos (think thats what its called, its on the outskirts of George) up to the summit of George Peak. It was ridable last time I went up there although there are a few spots with portage. Bonus is that although its a mother of a climb, the return is AMAZING!!

Also, head up to Saasveld, there are some nice trails that start from there.

No one here has mentioned petrus se brand, I did it last year and it was unbelievable!

Just before knysna take a right onto the uniondale road. This eventually becomes a dirt road. climb all the way until the forest station, get you ticket and there is a path back down again which comes out at the garden of eden.

UNBELIEVABLE

:clap:

There is another route called “Petrus se Brand MTB route” which starts from Diepwal Forest Station (near the Big Tree and +/- 24 km away from the Garden of Eden).

It can also be done in reverse from the same place where the Harkerville routes start (Garden of Eden Kiosk). If ridden in reverse from the Harkerville side keep a sharp eye out for the route sign boards which are posted so as to be visible when coming from the Diepwal side and can be missed if riding in reverse from GE side.

The route is 24 km one way, about the same degree of difficulty as the red route but with no drop off’s (mostly forest jeep track and some single track).

http://www.mtbroutes.co.za/route.php?route_id=46

Last month I rode it starting and finishing in Plett and combined with a lap of the red route turned out to be a good 6 hr ride (including a slight detour getting lost...LOL).

I know the Plett / Knysna area very well. Been going there on hol for the past 31 yrs.! and been riding mtb there for the past 5 or 6 yrs.

Some comments :

You absolutely HAVE to do Harkerville Red Route - but be careful. If it is moist (or wet) the roots become slippery and dangerous. There are always a couple of broken bones every December on this route.! Obey STOP or SLOW signs on the trail - they're not joking. Park at Garden of Eden and enter Harkerville on other side of the main road. Buy permit at Garden of Eden and get a map or you'll get lost..

Petrus se brand is awesome. Towards the end there is about 2km of the most awesome downhill single track you have ever ridden - you'll think you're Greg M.! But be careful not to miss the turn-off for this. The normal route is to get dropped off at the forestry station at the top and ride down to the exit at Garden of Eden. This is a pain as you need a very patient friend to drop you and wait at the bottom. In this direction the route is mainly downhill with 2 large climbs and about 23Km. We park at Garden of Eden and ride up and and then back down - def the way to go if you've got it in your legs. PS: don't ride up the single track that I just mentioned - go up on the road by-pass. Buy permit at Garden of Eden and get a map or you'll get lost..

Homtini trail is awesome - just outside knysna towards george, but way up in the mountains with amazing views. Not very long - i think under 20Km with one massive hill climb which is very steep with loose rocks. It is rideable though.

If you're coming from out of town, I would recommend focusing on only these 3 and in this order of priority..

Enjoy.. Maybe we'll see you on the trails.. Ride safe..

J

Search harkerville and you will find plenty here, many people rate the red route as their #1 trail in the country.

However, being in the crags I thought I'd give misty mountain a go. it turns out a lot of the mto forests are not open now as there are issues with liability/fire insurance, once again people not following the rules and now it is closed for everyone (this is the word from locals at The Bike Shop).

Anyway, misty mountain was great. Rocked up with the singlespeed and got a small silverback reno in mint condition for the meisie. R100 for two permits and bike hire! The start venue is imposssibly beautiful, set on the cliffs. We rode the blue route which took us down the old stormsriver pass and up to the village,where we piled into coffee and scones. Great jeep track through dense indigenous forest, and the hills were long but gradual, I'm on a 32x16 and didn't have to walk once. Then it heads to the coast and a lookout over the storms rivermouth through pine plantations. Under time cosh we split up and I continued on the long black route (all pine and fairly straightforward) to meet up at the fernery, another amazing accomm plek with a fascinating fern operation.

All in all, for a ride with zero singletrack it was great fun, has something for beginnners as well as 65km for distance. The views are amazing, and we had a great time. Service at MMR was tops and I would support them again

:thumbup:

you will love 1ste rivier

i'll be at 43 ,intussen.

will be doing my trsining rides from here.

misty mount , good fun

hakerville brilliant (red route)

have fun !

• 3 weeks later...

you will love 1ste rivier

i'll be at 43 ,intussen.

will be doing my trsining rides from here.

misty mount , good fun

hakerville brilliant (red route)

have fun !

Hi Prozac. Your message only now makes sense to me. Sorry I didn't pop in. We stayed at 66 - think I walked past your place a few times. Pitty about the weather - made the dirt roads in and out almost impossible. Managed to get all of Misty Mountain in - split over two seperate rides. My wife and I did the 32km blue route on the 27th, and then the eastern half of the black route (38km) on the 1st. Absolutely superb. Headed out for Harkerville on the 29th, but turned back at the farm stall when I saw how wet the conditions were. Bikes got annihilated each time by the mud whilst still on my car's bike rack - hectic, especially with the water restrictions making bike washing a forbidden activity!! We certainly hope to return to 1ste rivier again at the end of the year.

Thanks to all for the info. Feedback to follow in the New Year.

Well, the much-needed rain wasn't all that kind to our MTB plans, making car access in and out of Eerste Rivier a nightmare (especially for THE BIKES as they got covered in mud :thumbdown: ). Had to surrender our Harkerville outing to the rain, but managed to get the blue route and eastern half of the black route in at Misty Mountain on two separate days. Two very different rides, but both up there in my top ten of all time. The highlight has to be the Knysna Loerie sighting we had from no less than 5m away (blue route just after the cement bridge over the river) :thumbup: Will definately have to try to get back to the area soon to do the other trails suggested - Easter weekend looks to be taking shape already! :blush:

Edited by flymango