How to upgrade

ebenvn

Hi guys,

So Im brand new to MTB, got my bike the weekend (bought a 2011 Merida Matts 100) and took it for a ride yesterday. SO Im totally hooked - now Im allready shopping around for new things. So...... my question is:

Is it better to upgrade the parts as I go on, or to save and buy a better bike with all the bells and whistles? I was keen on starting with a top of the range fork, but Im afraid it might be a waist because of the frame. And maybe it doesnt fit the next frame?

Thx

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it breaks, then you upgrade otherwise you just waste money. You will never get the money back that you put in.

Or you could do like I did. Slowly replace the parts but keep the old parts. By the time you've replaced all the parts you build up the old bike and sell that to recoup some costs.

Maybe ride your bike a bit more before you start upgrading it. First upgrade your skillz and then you'll have a better idea of how to upgrade your bike.

That's the bike riddle of the ages.. So you have probably had a look, while choosing your bike (Nice choice, I ride the 2011 Matts fts 800) and have noticed that to but a complete bike is the cheapest way to buy the components.

It's really a matter of liquidity I suppose. If you get a regular Sales commission for example (and cannot save the money) then upgrade as you go. The fork is starting right at the top of the upgrade price list though. Rather start with the groupset, hollow BB, tubeless conversion etc I think that these components are most commony possible to transplant when you eventually upgrade to that Soft tail frame, which is the natural order of things...

Whatever makes YOU happy.

I love buying kit/components I like. The result is a bike that looks/behaves the way I want it to.

But is does come at price!

I would say, first ride your bike for a few months. See how it behaves and what YOU feel it is possibly lacking. Then look around for the cheapest, but cost effective (long lasting) upgrade component and who stocks it at the best price. Kinda what you need rather than what you want (coz what you want is always out of budget - unless you are a millionaire).

Most parts are interchangeable between bikes, bar a few. Go and ride - you have barely started :D

Thx 4 all the inputs - think ill do some small upgrades (tubeless etc), but save on the side and buy a complete bike

Go out there abuse you bike and at a later stage go for a better bike, I know the temptation of just upgrading upgrading upgrading, but man it can bankrupt you.

you will eat a lot of dust, hit rocks, etc....so rather learn with this bike....as you improve, maybe a year or so buy a new one :) I been usng my Giant Alias 2009 for 2 years now, only thing I upgraded was XT rims because I wanted tubeless which is better and less flats and last week upgraded to a XT crank/drivetrain, XT casette and XT chain...I am still doing competitive times and give the "top" bikes a beating...oh yes, get urself cleats, SPD shimano, your cycling improves!

So a need for an upgrade? NAH....just have fun!

Unless the wife knows her stuff :) I got me that problem she's too educated. But its ok she lets me spoil myself, while we eat bread dipped in sugar water cause we can't afford sweets.

This year i started on a reno, moved up within 2 months to a phoenix, and 4 months later I have a custom build anthem :o

The best way to upgrade is to keep it quiet from the wife :lol:

I'm lucky. Mine did not even notice that I changed grips from orange to black. And the bike stands in the kitchen so you can not miss it.

Unless the wife knows her stuff :) I got me that problem she's too educated. But its ok she lets me spoil myself, while we eat bread dipped in sugar water cause we can't afford sweets.

This year i started on a reno, moved up within 2 months to a phoenix, and 4 months later I have a custom build anthem :o

Would you like me too send you down some sugar cane to chew on?