Rear Der Cable stretch

Honkdonk

So I can do most of the work on my steed (MTB) but the only thing I cannot get my head around is the gear indexing.

Had the bike serviced recently and have not had much saddle time as i would have liked, but have noticed that the rear shfting has gone from ultra crsip and smooth to requiring 2 clicks to get one shift and it has become ever so slack (XT shifters and bog standard Shimano cable, XT shadow rear). Is it a case of cable stretch and I need to just figure out the barrel adjusters? All the material I have read on barrel adjustment says you must turn clockwise/anticlockwise (cant remember which way) but which way are you looking at the bike when you adjust the barrel adjuster?

Am sure there are many many many articles on this fine art and plenty of websites - but now that the hols are here figured I could have a go myself and try to get it right.

Anyone...?

When you install the cable the barrel addjuster needs to be turned out about 4 turn (anti-clock). With cable installed you can now play. Anti-clock will move the adjuster out and tighten the cable (actually the housing which has a few stopper doing the work). Clock wise relaxes everything again.

It does not matter which way you look at the bike, clock wise and anti-clock wise stays the same.

EDIT: Okay I played the scene off in my head and it actually does depend where you stand. If you stand infront of the bike and facing the rear wheel, then anti-clock turns the barrel out and tightens the cable. Clock wise relaxes it. But if you face forward over the bars then clock wise tightens and anti-clock relaxes. Basically all yo need to know is that if the barrel goes out, it tightens, if in it relaxes.

Edited by Mampara

Which websites are better for checking this out(online mechanics)? Im always nervous just playing around with this, I think Im gonna cock something up. Its something Ive got too learn how to do properly

Edited by Caerus

Which websites are better for checking this out(online mechanics)?

Cables do not stretch..... not that you would notice or change your shifting. They do however bed into the cable housings and that may create a little slack.

To ensure you get the correct high and low position remove the cable from the derraileur and by using finger pressure change the gears from low to high. Be carefull of your fingers as the spokes are spinning closeby and believe you me it does hurt. You may even be able to make some adjudtments while the wheels is spinning. Now let the chain go down to the smallest gear.

Pull the cable tight and tighten the pinch down bolt. Then start going through the gears uo and down a few times while spinning the wheel. This will give time for the bedding in to stettle down. Then start doing one gear at a time. If smooth and change up or down is good leave alone. If not use the knurled barrel adjuster untill all the changes are smooth.

Go for a test ride and see if it in order, which it should be. If neccesary do the final adjustments.

Make sure your cable is well seated in the shifters and that all the ferrules and sheats are seated well before you tighten the pinch bot. make sure your cable is clean and your brake sheaths are in good nick.

Hope this helps.

As Big H says, check your cable sheaths are OK. That is a fairly common cause of misshifts. Also replace the cables if that hasn't been done recently. Sticky cables cause bad shifting.

Good luck.

Where do you get a cheap floorstand? Those park tool one's are R1000+.

make one yourself....

post-24-0-52194900-1292336072.jpg

Ive dedicated 3 days this holiday to learning bike maintanence, then I've also organised a day to be spent at their workshop with my local mechanic to learn. :clap:

Ive dedicated 3 days this holiday to learning bike maintanence, then I've also organised a day to be spent at their workshop with my local mechanic to learn. :clap:

Sjoe............ you are a brave 33 year old boy!!!!!!!

"Cables do not stretch..... "

Is that why those Gore cables with the fancy housing are liked so much?...R500 for a cable...hmmm.

Neither you or your fancy bike components are strong enough to stretch a cable.

Why are Gore cables liked so much? Because idiots can then go around bragging that their cables cost as much as the annual income of a mineworker, that's why. Also known as verbal wanking.