shedding some weight - where to start?

MattyG

Hi all last week i bought my first half decent mtb and been riding alot, my aspect35 is currently sitting at about 13kg and when climbing i find it a bit sluggish so i was thinking of slowly but surely upgrading the bike and my goal is around 10kg mayb if im lucky. I was wondering where do i start as i cant lay down large sums of money for a whole new bike. I was thinking the first step would be doing a tubeless conversion and then investing in a slx crank maybe?

here are the specs of the bike.

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbikereviews.com%2Fmountain-bikes%2Fscott%2F2010-scott%2Fscott-aspect-35-disc-mountain-bike%2F&ei=XNYPTevMD8rBswaFvayEDQ&usg=AFQjCNGE8si6NCqvLW61M2ycTJ-AovUDjw

i am with jughead dave on this one.i lost 10 kg during this year and my solid heavy mongoose now feels like a carbon race snake.after the silly season it might just again feel like a dual susp heavy mongoose though.

I doubt you will get that bike to 10 , and if you do it will cost so much you might as well buy a new lightweight hard tail.

Edited by Dangle

SLX components are not going to tip the scale on 10kg. I am with Dangle on this one, get a light weight carbon HT with at least XT or XO (XTR or XX if you can) if you are weight conscious.

I have a set of Reynolds Carbon Clincher Wheels for sale. Weight = 1450g/set. R6500.00

Hentus, I am sure this dude's Aspect mtb will look great with a pair of carbon clinchers!:lol:

Ahhh. The enigmatic 10 kg's. It will cost you a LOT of money to get that bike below 10 kg's. A 1.5kg wheelset, SID fork, XX or XTR all round, silly light stuff like KCNC post, stem, handlebar. SLR saddle. Stupid Supersonic tires converted to tubeless that won't hold air, a lighter frame...

I am also with Dangle on this one. Forget it. If you want it below 10 kg "race ready" (That is with pedals, bottle cages, bar ends and a tube taped to the seatpost), buy a 8.5kg hardtail.

Or better. Ride the bike as it is.

Ahhh. The enigmatic 10 kg's. It will cost you a LOT of money to get that bike below 10 kg's. A 1.5kg wheelset, SID fork, XX or XTR all round, silly light stuff like KCNC post, stem, handlebar. SLR saddle. Stupid Supersonic tires converted to tubeless that won't hold air, a lighter frame...

I am also with Dangle on this one. Forget it. If you want it below 10 kg "race ready" (That is with pedals, bottle cages, bar ends and a tube taped to the seatpost), buy a 8.5kg hardtail.

Or better. Ride the bike as it is.

My bike is 10.8kg and it's a R1500 alu frame, R2000 2kg wheels, tubes, uncut Fox fork, Thomson finishing kit, 260gr saddle, 120gr lock-on grips and SPD pedals. Going sub 10kg is very do able.

To be honest, I really don't understand the obsession with light bikes.

'cos if you have a heavy bike, you have something to blame your performance on.

i.e. you would do so much better if you had a lighter bike.

Not to mention coffee shop and street cred...

It's easier to spend money than to train hard.

Ride the bike as it is for at least 1 year. That 13kg's can only get you stronger. Unless your aiming for top 10% position on the big races like the Nissan series, dont bother spending money now. I believe that you only start going lighter and more expensive on your bike when you feel you cant improve your own fitness and weight.

Since Feb this year when I rode MTB for the first time I lost 21kg's (106kg down to 85kg) and I now constantly finish in the top 10% of the big races. My weight can still go down to 82kg. After that, i will only start making my bike lighter.

Oh yes, Im riding a Scott Scale 30 carbon full suspension weighing in at 12kg.

Just my 5 cents. :)

Guest agteros

'cos if you have a heavy bike, you have something to blame your performance on.

i.e. you would do so much better if you had a lighter bike.

Not to mention coffee shop and street cred...

It's easier to spend money than to train hard.

Never mind that it is more training lugging all that weight around, especially up hills! Street cred is earned when you make all the super light bikes eat your dust. Just love doing that :)