Be the first to know!!!

CWC Online

Oh Snap.... Business models are different in all walks of life and the reason why they are different is because no 2 people think along the same lines, unless the first one is being copied of course.... CWC's Business model is working for them because there blinkers have been removed and can now see a better part of the horizon.... While, the "other" guys seem to be trying to hard without putting in the effort....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, what's the debate?

ASG have a right to their business model and CWC has his online business.

There are pro's and con's to both.

Bottom Line. We (Consumer) are the Jury. We vote with our wallets.

If ASG (Importers) come to the party we will buy from the LBS. Until then CWC, Icycling, CRC and Total (and others) are where we spend our money.

Others choose the LBS, every guy has his market.

The joys of capitalism :thumbup: woop woop

In SA the term grey products gets loosly swumg around, Our best example is a certain Hi-Fi company ie corporation. They buy product destined for asian markets and re-ship them to SA. So if you buy from them you can't claim your normal warrantee from LG or Sony or Samsung etc. and you have to have the unit repaired by this specific company you purchased the product from. If you were to take the product and tried to register the warrantee with LG or they will tell you you cannot.

I seem to recall that changed as a result of an era of bad experiences. I just looked up their website - "99% of their products are sourced locally". Lessons learnt!!!

Guys, what's the debate?

ASG have a right to their business model and CWC has his online business.

There are pro's and con's to both.

Bottom Line. We (Consumer) are the Jury. We vote with our wallets.

If ASG (Importers) come to the party we will buy from the LBS. Until then CWC, Icycling, CRC and Total (and others) are where we spend our money.

Others choose the LBS, every guy has his market.

The joys of capitalism :thumbup: woop woop

Absolutely correct! Nice one :clap:

nice to see a distributor pitching in to fight for our money. Good luck to ASG, even if they could have just started another thread instead of replying to the 'sit round the same fire' comment.

now for my opinion......

Perhaps you didn't read what I posted or did not understand it (read it again - slowly) -

hey boet, you're trying to get our business here, this comes off a tinge sarcastic. Since you're posting as a brand, I'd be careful about doing this even if you're (in your mind) right.

It is just a little annoying (FROM A BUSINESS TO BUSINESS POINT OF VIEW) when we spend serious money on rebuilding and developing brands in SA (Pinarello, Rudy, SIDI, etc.) - all brands that were badly neglected in the past and then someone jumps in when the demand / awareness has been created with some seriously discounted rates (this then makes our dealers look like they were massively expensive and were ripping off clients!!).

Would you like some cheese with that whine? No one held a gun to your head and made you commit to a costly marketing/branding exercise. If the barriers to entry were low (and legal) then you have no one but yourself to blame for parrallel importers riding the wave of awareness. Conversely, the fact that they stock and seel your stuff adds to your brand promotion...good or bad, it happens.

and finally, i still find it hilarious how chris still does his social media/announcements wiff parow english grammar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNJVMJH5OhI - I can like to shop at CWConline(in a jeanpant):thumbup:

I seem to recall that changed as a result of an era of bad experiences. I just looked up their website - "99% of their products are sourced locally". Lessons learnt!!!

There is a reason Hi Fi Corp have changed their business model. The "brand" name electronics distributors were forced to rethink when Hi Fi Corp started up, we were being ripped off big time. Soon after the major brands realised that they couldn't even "scare" us by not servicing products from Hi Fi Corp so they were forced to bring their prices down. Now Hi Fi Corp buys from the local distributors because their pricing is good and there is not so much more margin to be made vs. the hassle of importing themselves.

Maybe the bike/component distributors will follow the same route.

Edited by chris_w_65

There is a reason Hi Fi Corp have changed their business model. The "brand" name electronics distributors were forced to rethink when Hi Fi Corp started up, we were being ripped off big time. Soon after the major brands realised that they couldn't even "scare" us by not servicing products from Hi Fi Corp so they were forced to bring their prices down. Now Hi Fi Corp buys from the local distributors because their pricing is good and there is not so much margin to be made vs. the hassle of importing themselves.

Give facts please, the last I remember they were in hot water from Audio Imports who was the importer of Harman Kardon at the time, as their Harman products were found to have Sony internals with H/K bodies and chassis.

Give facts please, the last I remember they were in hot water from Audio Imports who was the importer of Harman Kardon at the time, as their Harman products were found to have Sony internals with H/K bodies and chassis.

Well, whatever the reason, we were being raped for electronics till Hi Fi Corp came along and then the price from regular stores dropped to a reasonable level. And it is a fact that the local importers wouldn't support the products but people still bought them because the price was so good and Hi Fi Corp supported the warranty themselves.

Even if there was an issue with Harmon Kardon products that would only be a reason to stop selling that brand of "grey" goods, not all the other brands.

Please post a link with info to Harmon Kardon fakes dispute, Google gives me nothing

I dont buy from HI FI corp. I don't know if its just my bad luck but just about every single item I have ever bought from them I've had to return for some reason or another.

There is a reason Hi Fi Corp have changed their business model. The "brand" name electronics distributors were forced to rethink when Hi Fi Corp started up, we were being ripped off big time. Soon after the major brands realised that they couldn't even "scare" us by not servicing products from Hi Fi Corp so they were forced to bring their prices down. Now Hi Fi Corp buys from the local distributors because their pricing is good and there is not so much more margin to be made vs. the hassle of importing themselves.

Same thing would happen if you could legally import used cars into SA, the price of cars in this country would drop dramatically because we are being ripped off. Problem is the government knows it so it is illegal in order to protect local auto manufacturing jobs. My sister lives in Hong Kong, she bought a Mazda MX5 there for R20000.00, the same model/year car here sells for R80000.00

Please post a link with info to Harmon Kardon fakes dispute, Google gives me nothing

You won't find a link, Harman international had it on their website for a year and if you are a regular reader of Audio and Video you would have known about it too.

What brands are you actually referring to ?

I don't see the likes of Krell, Pathos, Martin Logan, Valve Audio,Sonus Faber, Consonance, Avid, Zyx, Graham Slee, SME, B&W, Audioquest, Jeff Rowland, Grado, Musical Fidelity .............to name a few at Hi-Fi corp, so this benefit you are referring to has me a little dumbstruck.

Lol dangle those are all seriously expensive equipment sets, Hi Fi corp does not cater for that part of the market (not that i endorese hi fi corp at all) thats why we have speciality stores like cadiz and audio vision, they cater for the more up market goodies.

You won't find a link, Harman international had it on their website for a year and if you are a regular reader of Audio and Video you would have known about it too.

What brands are you actually referring to ?

I don't see the likes of Krell, Pathos, Martin Logan, Valve Audio,Sonus Faber, Consonance, Avid, Zyx, Graham Slee, SME, B&W, Audioquest, Jeff Rowland, Grado, Musical Fidelity .............to name a few at Hi-Fi corp, so this benefit you are referring to has me a little dumbstruck.

I was not talking high end audio, I was talking regular stuff like Sony.

Strange there is not one mention of the Harmon Kardon thing on the net though, maybe I am using the wrong search words

I wonder if it was Sony or Harmon Kardon making the knock offs. I can't imagine either of the 2 companies supplying chassis/internals to a third party as they are both brand names (although not in the same league)

Sounds more like scare tactics, the authorized dealers will always try and discourage you from buying parralel imports, either by saying they are inferior or by telling you there is no support

Edited by chris_w_65

I wonder if it was Sony or Harmon Kardon making the knock offs. I can't imagine either of the 2 companies supplying chassis/internals to a third party as they are both brand names (although not in the same league)

Sounds more like scare tactics, the authorized dealers will always try and discourage you from buying parralel imports, either by saying they are inferior or by telling you there is no support

It wasn't Sony nor the Harman group but a third party who produces specifically for grey market trade.

"Knock offs" if you wish, and that was where the poo hit the fan.