Be the first to know!!!

CWC Online

Here you go

Hi-Fi Corporation, founded in 1993 and acquired by JD Group in 2003, is the largest audio and visual warehouse in the southern hemisphere. Notwithstanding an extremely aggressive market and an increase in the number of competitors it has to contend with, Hi-Fi Corporation has continued to maintain its position in the market as built over the years. Hi-Fi Corporation has, since inception, fought for consumer justice by bringing the lowest possible prices to market even at the expense, in many instances, of margins.

One man's entrepreneurship and vision changed the face of the electronics industry in South Africa forever. Founder of Hi-Fi Corporation, Yaron Remen saw the inflated prices of electronic goods that consumers were being charged for, and decided that there was an opportunity to import genuine brand names at realistic prices and to pass these savings on to the customer.

The first store opened its doors in Wynberg, Sandton some 10 years ago and the entire stock holding was sold out within a week.

The Hi-Fi Corporation success story had begun.

The voice of the consumer had spoken indicating that there was a demand for these products especially at internationally market related prices.

Hi-Fi Corporation was, in some instances, chopping up to 40% off opposition retailer's prices on the same product. It became embarrassingly evident that the consumer had been the victim of inflated prices.

The rapid acceptance of Hi-Fi Corporation prompted the opening of 31 more stores over the next 14 years. Every store that Hi-Fi Corporation has opened has proven successful in its own right.

Hi-Fi Corporation has grown from strength to strength, having established branches all over the country including beyond the borders of South Africa, in Windhoek Namibia and Gaborone Botswana. This equates to a total of 32 Hi-Fi Corporation Branches to date, with more to come.

99% of Hi Fi Corporations goods are now sourced locally, from the original manufacturer and fully backed by the manufacturer's guarantees. Hi-Fi Corporation also complies to the SABS ISO 9001 standard in our Aeroton warehouse, Aeroton technical repair centre and the Woodmead branch, we are the only retailer in South Africa to do so.

There are over 16000 products in a single Hi-Fi Corporation store. Every Hi-Fi Corporation store carries the same extensive product range, which is by far the biggest selection of electronic goods under one roof, in the southern hemisphere.

Hi-Fi Corporation stocks everything from black and white television sets to your latest, most popular range of Home LCD's, from Video DVD Players to Recorders, from Kettles to Coffee Makers, Portable Radios to Hi Fidility Components, VCR's, Irons to Ovens, from Cordless Phones to Cellular, a wide range of Office Automation, White Appliances, GPS Systems, the list just keeps getting longer. What makes Hi-Fi Corporation unique in the field of electronics? The simple fact that we offer our customers the lowest prices on every product, every day, guaranteed!

Our customers are assured of quality products, sourced from the original local suppliers. Our shelves are brimming with reputable quality brands such as Defy, Kenwood, Sony, HP, Acer, Pioneer, Telefunken, Panasonic, LG, Samsung and Sansui to mention but a few. House brands like our Diamond, Westpoint and Wharfedale brands are sourced from top quality stores internationally.

People choose to shop where they are assured the best-branded quality products at the best prices. You'll soon find out if the penny hasn't already dropped that Hi-Fi Corporation's prices are not merely 'price beats' but are substantially lower than its competitors, giving us the edge over other retailers.

There are over 16000 products in a single Hi-Fi Corporation store. Every Hi-Fi Corporation store carries the same extensive product range, which is by far the biggest selection of electronic goods under one roof, in the southern hemisphere.

Hi-Fi Corporation stocks everything from black and white television sets to your latest, most popular range of Home LCD's, from Video DVD Players to Recorders, from Kettles to Coffee Makers, Portable Radios to Hi Fidility Components, VCR's, Irons to Ovens, from Cordless Phones to Cellular, a wide range of Office Automation, White Appliances, GPS Systems, the list just keeps getting longer. What makes Hi-Fi Corporation unique in the field of electronics? The simple fact that we offer our customers the lowest prices on every product, every day, guaranteed!

Our customers are assured of quality products, sourced from the original local suppliers. Our shelves are brimming with reputable quality brands such as Defy, Kenwood, Sony, HP, Acer, Pioneer, Telefunken, Panasonic, LG, Samsung and Sansui to mention but a few. House brands like our Diamond, Westpoint and Wharfedale brands are sourced from top quality stores internationally.

People choose to shop where they are assured the best-branded quality products at the best prices. You'll soon find out if the penny hasn't already dropped that Hi-Fi Corporation's prices are not merely 'price beats' but are substantially lower than its competitors, giving us the edge over other retailers.

Edited by chris_w_65

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go

Yes a little history written by their marketing group.

It still does not explain where they changed their business strategy as you suggested.

I will try and dig up one of my archive magazines if I still have it and scan it for you, I can't promise but will look, I gave a lot of them away :thumbdown:

I just spotted this on the new importers website.

My link

We have also derailed this thread, shall we re-open another ?

Edited by Dangle

Yes a little history written by their marketing group.

It still does not explain where they changed their business strategy as you suggested.

I will try and dig up one of my archive magazines if I still have it and scan it for you, I can't promise but will look, I gave a lot of them away :thumbdown:

I just spotted this on the new importers website.

My link

We have also derailed this thread, shall we re-open another ?

They had to throw in the "grey goods could have been obtained illegally" bit. Just like "illegal cigarettes support armed robberies". Scare tactics :thumbdown:

I realise we are a bit off topic but the bottom line is that fair competition brings down prices. Unfortunately the distributors of Harmon Kardon have an exclusive trade agreement with the manufacturer making it illegal to import grey. They even try to justify their high prices by suggesting the grey product is stolen. How is it that grey suppliers buy stock from a third party (not the manufacturer) and still manage to beat official import channel prices? The answer is - We are being screwed :thumbdown:

Edited by chris_w_65

Strange but if you talk to people about hi fi corp they still have a "grey market" Stigma.

Even motorcycles. Honda Kyalami sells brand new grey Yamaha and Kawasaki superbikes for R20000.00 cheaper than Yamaha and Kawasaki sell official imports for. The Yamaha and Kawasaki dealers will tell you that the grey bikes have less power.

And remember, Honda Kyalami buys their grey bikes in from a third party and are still cheaper.

Edited by chris_w_65

They had to throw in the "grey goods could have been obtained illegally" bit. Just like "illegal cigarettes support armed robberies". Scare tactics :thumbdown:

I realise we are a bit off topic but the bottom line is that fair competition brings down prices. Unfortunately the distributors of Harmon Kardon have an exclusive trade agreement with the manufacturer making it illegal to import grey. They even try to justify their high prices by suggesting the grey product is stolen. How is it that grey suppliers buy stock from a third party (not the manufacturer) and still manage to beat official import channel prices?

No scare tactics there.

You and me and everyone else want better prices, trying to make Hi-Fi corp look like the saviors who orchestrates what we should pay, is not a scare tactic but just plain damn scary.

Have you ever tried to get help in one of their stores, can the salesmen honestly tell you how many HDMI inputs the TV has and if it's full HD or HD ready ?

Can he tell you truthfully what the resolution rate of the TV is ?

Can he tell you how to set up that HT amp you just bought for a grand less, will he offer to install it at no extra cost or perhaps throw in some cables for your surrounds.

Will he sell you floor standers for your 3 X 3 metre TV room, and when you get home you have so much bass boom that your wife can't hear you say, pass me the remote .

Will he sell you that laptop that is an outgoing model and is being replaced by a newer and better model at a slightly more competitive price ? Of course he will.

Even though they have an "iron fist that dictates cheaper prices" the more expensive retailers are still in business, perhaps it goes back to the old saying, you get what you pay for.

Disclaimer: This has no relevance to the original thread here, I am discussing the ELECTRONICS industry.

No scare tactics there.

You and me and everyone else want better prices, trying to make Hi-Fi corp look like the saviors who orchestrates what we should pay, is not a scare tactic but just plain damn scary.

Have you ever tried to get help in one of their stores, can the salesmen honestly tell you how many HDMI inputs the TV has and if it's full HD or HD ready ?

Can he tell you how to set up that HT amp you just bought for a grand less, will he offer to install it at no extra cost or perhaps throw in some cables for your surrounds.

Will he sell you floor standers for your 3 X 3 metre TV room, and when you get home you have so much bass boom that your wife can't hear you say, pass me the remote .

Will he sell you that laptop that is an outgoing model and is being replaced by a newer and better model at a slightly more competitive price ? Of course he will.

Even though they have an "iron fist that dictates cheaper prices" the more expensive retailers are still in business, perhaps it goes back to the old saying, you get what you pay for.

Disclaimer: This has no relevance to the original thread here, I am discussing the ELECTRONICS industry.

I have never been to Hi Fi Corp and will probably never go there. I just know that as a direct result of competition by them and after the scare tactics of the brands like Sony did not work as well as they liked they reduced their prices big time. I now enjoy the reduced pricing at any chain store I choose to buy my goods at.

Getting back to the original post, if CWC can offer me a good product with good backup service and at a good price I will rather buy it from them than the official channels. If enough people do this then the distributors will lower their margins. Eventually if CWC is selling a big enough volume the authorized importers may strike a deal to supply him at a good enough rate that it is not worth Chris' while to import the goods himself (remember, he is probably buying from a third party so the official importers should be able to match the price he pays).

Gone are the days where everyone in the supply chain marks up anything up to 100% each.

Edited by chris_w_65

No scare tactics there.

Bear in mind I am talking affordable brands like Sony. At the time Hi Fi Corp opened your only other choice was Dion or OK Bazaar or such like at twice the price and their staff werent that knowlegeable, wouldn't throw stuff in for free and certainly wouldn't install it for you.

There is certainly a place for high end audio shops, my mate owns one and he reckons he only needs 2 clients a month to get by

Edited by chris_w_65

Somehow distributors are supplying Buycycle at comparable prices to CWC, so it can be done! Well done Chris!

After reading this thread I went for some helmet shopping yesterday in Port Elizabeth. When looking at cost the key point for me is internationally comparable prices.

If I look at the Bell and Giro prices out there I am being nailed for being a South African which I don't like. ASG was true to their mission promised in this topic and the local price I got offered on a Sterling helmet was R1590 which is fair if the RRP is $225.

So my money will be going to Rudy Project as part of my effort to vote with my wallet.

So thank you Chris for fighting for international comparable prices for us and good on ASG on responding to the challenge while still building their brands.

After reading this thread I went for some helmet shopping yesterday in Port Elizabeth. When looking at cost the key point for me is internationally comparable prices.

If I look at the Bell and Giro prices out there I am being nailed for being a South African which I don't like. ASG was true to their mission promised in this topic and the local price I got offered on a Sterling helmet was R1590 which is fair if the RRP is $225.

So my money will be going to Rudy Project as part of my effort to vote with my wallet.

So thank you Chris for fighting for international comparable prices for us and good on ASG on responding to the challenge while still building their brands.

Not bad... considering helmets attract import duties of 30%...

Guest coenie

So you are still paying R190 to much.....

No scare tactics there.

Most electronics sales people are useless when it comes to product knowledge - Drives me mad.

So you are still paying R190 to much.....

Well what kind of premium the official distributor can justify above the CWC price for the trouble of building the brand is a subjective amount. Plus they can't pick and choose when to import stock as they need to have it always. Just saying relative to the other brands I find it fair.

Same question re your LBS? How much will you pay extra for parts there knowing the extra overheads they have considering the fact that you would like them to exist next time you need a tube?

I appreciate and support CWC but also appreciate the roll some others are playing in the industry and support them too.

Well what kind of premium the official distributor can justify above the CWC price for the trouble of building the brand is a subjective amount. Plus they can't pick and choose when to import stock as they need to have it always. Just saying relative to the other brands I find it fair.

Same question re your LBS? How much will you pay extra for parts there knowing the extra overheads they have considering the fact that you would like them to exist next time you need a tube?

I appreciate and support CWC but also appreciate the roll some others are playing in the industry and support them too.

The logic is kind of flawed here mate, you are suggesting that online retailers do not build brands, Off course they do, and I learned in this instance off Rudy Project not from an ASG advert, but from the CWC website and the hub. Had nothing to do with the full page adverts I've only recently started noticing, since all those ad's point to road bikes and I have no interest in road bikes.

I come from an IT and IPO managemnet background and worked for South Africa's largest media companies at one stage, We were shocked when we discovered more coverage of a certain product was delivered by a single low cost website in one month, than the obtainable coverage from all the printed adds in multiple formats, magazines, newspapers could give us in a year. And that at a fraction of the cost for printed media.

I would go so far as to say the hub has had the most profound impact on what I buy.

Edited by covie