Groenkloof & Fountains...All ok?

L.T.G

I'm planning to ride GK and Fountains on Sunday,

haven't been in a couple weeks and just wanted know if, with all the recent rain, everything's still ok.

I know a couple places like Teak and Van Gaalens(River Trail) have taken a bit of bashing lately.

teak is fine, the only part that is closed is the short section with wooden bridges cutting back and front over the little stream at the bottom, the rest 100%

Does anybody know about VG's river trail singletrack...

I went to Groenies this morning after two weeks away and in my opinion, it just keeps getting better and better. I ride there every week and it never gets boring! It really a privilege to have such a place in PTA.

I didn't do the Fountains part this morning so I cant comment on it.

Enjoy!

A good mate of mine rode at VG yesterday and spoke to Erik, the riverside trail apparently sustained lots of damage from the rains. The river flooded big time and knocked down trees and washed bridges away. Most of the trail has already been rebuilt, though, except for the bridges, so its rideable.

As an aside, my mate says there is quite a lot of new technical trail up in the mountains, and that his ride there yesterday was sublime.

Oh, and I also rode at Teak on Saturday. As rouxtjie says, only one small section closed off but the rest was a complete jol. It was a great way to usher in the new year.

shall we ask the question again after last nights rain? :) was on the road just after 8, and I needed a boat not a car, hennops flooded again close to centurion mall

Just a related question on "Fountains".

I drive through to pta and ride Groenkloof whenever I can but how does one access the "fountains" section, I was not aware it was different? Can you park at Groenkloof and ride through to Fountains and how?

I drive through to pta and ride Groenkloof whenever I can but how does one access the "fountains" section, I was not aware it was different? Can you park at Groenkloof and ride through to Fountains and how?

The tar road that leads round the parking lot of Groenies will get you to the other gate of Fountains.

See map. If you are in Groenkloof you just follow the road though the access gate towards the Main entrance. Just after the sharp left turn you will see the entance on your right. There is a single track to the left of the tar road that you can use when riding your bike. But you have to go through the access gate on the tar road.

post-15654-0-92819200-1294130175.jpg

A good mate of mine rode at VG yesterday and spoke to Erik, the riverside trail apparently sustained lots of damage from the rains. The river flooded big time and knocked down trees and washed bridges away. Most of the trail has already been rebuilt, though, except for the bridges, so its rideable.

Glad to hear that. I rode there the Saturday after the big storm that caused all the damage, there was no river trail!

When we were told the river trail is not really rideable I thought,, I've ridden there heaps of times in tons of mud after heavy rains and the more difficult, the better training I'll get!

so after Oom Piet's and The Greek Church, the River Trail back was attempted... WELL, as far as bike lifting and tree climbing goes , great training :blink: not so much riding training!

4km of River Trail in 90 mins (no lie, no exaggeration and nothing I'm proud of getting myself into :(!)

Next time, I'll listen ...taught me for being "windgat":blush:

nice one l.t.g :D we also did not believe then and went out on the trail for a couple of meter until we got to the first river crossing.I could not figure out the "fresh" tracks on the other side of the river with no bridge, just thought there are some hard core okes out there and went back.

don't think of it as windgat... rather lable it adventure racing :thumbup:

Edited by Redline

The worst thing about all the rain is that where it used to be hard packed jeep track all the hard packed sand has washed away exposing a very rocky trail. I'm sure those with the dual sussers didn't even notice, but I noticed all too well. <_< Joys of a hardtail! :P

Still great fun though!

Messenger especially enjoyed it on his brand new Gobi! :lol:

Messenger especially enjoyed it on his brand new Gobi! :lol:

Messenger feel's as though he fell for the 'Drive Dry' campaign - and spend a night or two in prison with Mr "Im looking for someone to care for" :o

Month off the bike, new saddle and one or two (million) new rocks in Groenies :blush: , but the warm fuzzy feeling when going to GK is still the same!

GK obviously safe and great to ride, but recall there being safety issues at fountains (long time ago admittedly) ... any cause for concern?

I was at Van Galens on Sunday - did mammoth seven and a half hours ride! Erik says the River route is now fixed up - he had a team of guys cutting the paths out from under the silt - I rode a section at the top and it was fine. Avoid oom Piets though - we hit wet clay there and the clearance between fork/frame and tires was too small and I couldn't get more than a few wheel rotations before it all seized up. Carried bike 2km in an hour. Was fun in retrospect. We did the new 'Dagga' route on the other side of conrete road mountain - very nice - van Galens is really the best destination for MTB that I have been.

You can let your wife ride alone in Groenies any time :thumbup: Very safe.

Fountains is ok but I wil not ride there alone in the week. Weekends with a buddy should be fine.

The only muggin there(Fountains) recently was in Oct last year.