Weightloss Challenge v 1.1

Gravity

155 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a weightloss challenge?

• Yes, that would be cool
    • No Fatso go eat another cheeseburger

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't read the whole thread, but here are some calorie basics:

Calorific value of common food types

1) Calories (in normal spoken language) actually refer to Kilo Calories (kCal), so that's the unit here. A kCal is NOT a kJ (kCal = 4.18 x kJ)

2) Average red meat portion: 3 kCal per gram

3) Average White meat portion: 2kCal per gram

4) Pastries, crossaints & chocolates: Between 3 and 5 kCal per gram

5) Fat / Oil: 9 kCal per gram

6) Dry starch (rice / pasta): can't remember to the pin, but think it's about 2 kCal / gram

The hard science about "fat" weight loss

Every kg of fat contains 9000 kCal. Most of us (reasonably active males) burn 2500 - 3500 kCal per day.

So even if your body would only use fat as fuel source and you don't eat anything (which is never the case), it would take 3 + days to burn a kg of fat. If you lose weight faster, it's water, muscle or something else.

Its very hard to maintain much more than a 500 kCal deficit (eat 500 kCal less than you burn) on a daily basis, so it's typically about 2 weeks of work to lose a kg of fat...

Not saying this to discourage anybody, just to keep realistic targets in mind!!!

Good luck with the challenge

Just a small addition: 1g alcohol = 7 Cal

So something like whisky, with little added carbs (unlike beer) at about 40% proof, will be 280 Cal per 100g, or 70 Cal per 25ml tot

Also, 1g pure carb, like sugar = 4 Cal

Just a small addition: 1g alcohol = 7 Cal

So something like whisky, with little added carbs (unlike beer) at about 40% proof, will be 280 Cal per 100g, or 70 Cal per 25ml tot

Also, 1g pure carb, like sugar = 4 Cal

So eat sweets if you have to............:clap: no Dop!dry.gif specially not a nightcap like Khalua!!

Edited by CharlV

Spreadsheet works 100%.

Thank you very much for the effort. It is much appreciated.

I am in - already down from 105 to 102kgs (@1.86m) in the past 3 weeks, aiming for another 10kgs.

It is Monday isn't it?

yes :thumbup:

Whiskers check the dates on the spreadsheet think it needs to be moved on one monday.

Hi Pyps, I saw that as well, small oversight on my side. will fix it

OK - this is my experiment for now: blindly going by the numbers to see what happens.

No wonder this is hard - the last few kgs.

Very quickish gym this morning - 200 odd kcal, and a 1 hour ride tonight - 850 or so kcal.

The daily chomp calc updated is hovering around the 400 kcal deficit.

And I'm getting the late night nibblies. angry.gif

Jeez, if I didn't ride I'd starve in order to try and maintain the 500 kcal negative balance..................!

Any indication of the % split between guys and girls taking part in the challenge? :whistling: I was only ever taught not to ask a lady's age! :oops:

OK - this is my experiment for now: blindly going by the numbers to see what happens.

No wonder this is hard - the last few kgs.

Very quickish gym this morning - 200 odd kcal, and a 1 hour ride tonight - 850 or so kcal.

The daily chomp calc updated is hovering around the 400 kcal deficit.

And I'm getting the late night nibblies. angry.gif

Jeez, if I didn't ride I'd starve in order to try and maintain the 500 kcal negative balance..................!

I am negative 2000 for the day. Not even hungry, I just forced a tin of tuna down to get some protein, I won't do that again in a hurry, it was gross.

Is there anything you can add to tuna to make it taste decent? Apart from salad dressing for obvious reasons

I am negative 2000 for the day. Not even hungry, I just forced a tin of tuna down to get some protein, I won't do that again in a hurry, it was gross.

Is there anything you can add to tuna to make it taste decent? Apart from salad dressing for obvious reasons

Plain low fat yoghurt perhaps?